Benny 2 years old

bennyg19

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey! New to the forum and wanted to introduce my exotic shorthair Benny who just turned 2 in July. So far, I am fairly confident that I am taking good care of him but he's not very interested in playing. When he was a kitten a simple move of my foot would have him jumping around ready to attack but when he was 1 it was here and there and now that he's 2 I notice he's more interested in tv and cuddling rather than his toys. He hasn't shown any kind of symptoms of being sick and is eating and using the bathroom fine, still meows if I'm late acting totally fine. I just wanted to know if anyone had a similar experience?

Bolts

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, I’ve recently give a home to a ex feral who’d rather sit and watch tv than play, he sometimes chases a bit of string..but playing with his toys with his own free will..never.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bennyg19

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, I’ve recently give a home to a ex feral who’d rather sit and watch tv than play, he sometimes chases a bit of string..but playing with his toys with his own free will..never.
That actually helps me feel better alot thank you! Anytime I introduce catnip he goes crazy and I tried it again tonight and it still works so it does make me feel alot better hearing about your cat and seeing Benny have energy and actually attack his toys even if it's just for a few minutes.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi, and welcome to TCS :hithere::welcomesign:

Its definitely normal for cats to play less as they get older. Your boy is now an adult rather than a kitten or adolescent, so slightly more sedate behaviour is to be expected. My boys calmed down at around 2 as well, though brining in a pair of kittens has them more playful and active again :lol:

Most cats will still engage with interactive play with you though, especially if you're using a feather stick or pole and line type toy. Using hands or feet for play is never the best idea in any case, as we don't really want to encourage them to 'hunt' us ;)
Playing With Your Cat: 10 Things You Need To Know

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bennyg19

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, and welcome to TCS :hithere::welcomesign:

Its definitely normal for cats to play less as they get older. Your boy is now an adult rather than a kitten or adolescent, so slightly more sedate behaviour is to be expected. My boys calmed down at around 2 as well, though brining in a pair of kittens has them more playful and active again :lol:

Most cats will still engage with interactive play with you though, especially if you're using a feather stick or pole and line type toy. Using hands or feet for play is never the best idea in any case, as we don't really want to encourage them to 'hunt' us ;)
Playing With Your Cat: 10 Things You Need To Know
Oh I most definitely agree! He has hunting toys like mouse shaped that he does carry in his mouth ( it's the only one he's aggressive to) I just meant when he was a kitten the slightest move of my foot would make him attack and want to play but now he doesn't, but thank you so much for your response. It's definitely helped me worry less! I wish I found this website alot earlier lol.

Last edited by a moderator:

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Every single cat I have ever had has calmed down around 2 years old, some basically relaxing around the house for the rest of their lives.