Bengal Shedding

Kittycatcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi there,
Just wondered for those of you who own a bengal (Actually I will rephrase that, for those that are owned by a bengal haha) do they tend to shed more in the summer?
I've read that they tend to shed twice yearly, both their summer and winter coat, is this true?
I'm a new bengal owner however I have noticed the last few weeks she is shedding more than usual, its summer here in the UK so its getting warmer.
Anyways I thought I'd ask cause I know they do tend to shed far less that a say a moggy, I have a Dsh tabby and he sheds more than my Bengal.

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All cats tend to go through 2 sheds really, some cats just shed more then others even daily. I have 3 longhairs, Fynn seems to shed more then his brother does.

Silver Crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bengals have more of a pelt and have an inner coat of very fine short fur.
Yes they do shed this fine insulating hair but it in my experience its all over in like a 2 week period.
Its very annoying though because it is so fine and light it travels over everything..even onto top shelves.
Mine shed coming into winter too..I suppose getting rid of their summer coat and they are a lot lighter color in winter.
But they dont shed in anywhere the quantities of other cats or you just dont see because it is so fine and strands are so short.
I have a fine baby hair comb I use when they shed..helps a lot and you will fill the comb in a couple of strokes and you probably wont have to comb them again until next season, but have a spare..they like to chew them up.
Just for fun..when you get a bundle of this fine fur..roil it into a ball and feel how light and soft it is..and then try and pull the ball apart..it binds together really strong and near impossible to pull apart...its interesting but the floor sweeper and vacuum cleaner hates it.lol
But as far as grooming goes..the Bengal requires like once, twice a year most times..we as owners are spoilt that way. :)
Lovely cat in your Avatar.do you have a bigger pic??

Last edited: