Bengal Ronin's Here!!

Ronin's Okaa

Ronin Hunter, up and ready.
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi! I've had our baby since February (7.9 weeks) and it has been a whirlwind of awesomeness (and lack of sleep). I just made it through the neuter and am relieved and happy to have the support of a lot of you already. Here are some pending "challenges" I'll be looking for insight on:
TRAVERSING THE FLATSCREEN - WHYYY!!! of all the climby, perchy, high places I've prepared why is any tv the one conquest that needs to be completed? Okay Ronin, you're up there precariously balancing on top of the razor edge and your looking at me...NOW WHAT!?! UGH!

DETERRENTS - Just don't, they've all failed. Yes, I tried the UPSIDE DOWN RUNNER with the nubs up. STICKY was sticky, that's it. CAYENNE PEPPER only deterred me...from using it! SPRAY BOTTLE? meh, if you're willing to man the post constantly with it in hand and continuously spray it at him and around/into the electronics until he gets annoyed enough. NOISY CAN? LMAO amateur! CITRUS? not his favorite scent but does nothing but litters my house. FYI they will be anchored ASAP (UGH!!!)

The only other thing I was willing to try was the $30 can of automatic air (Amazon) but he's so smart it'll take twice before he realizes it's bluffing. I've seen electrified mats but I'm not sure how I feel about them yet. Initially I was firmly against it but I'm getting desperate!

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately I have no insight on the challenges, as my boys were pretty much like Ronin LOL. Nero used to just stare at the water from the spray bottle as it hit him in the face lol. He'd also sit in the shower and look up at the showerhead, so I guess the spray bottle was laughable.

Sounds like Ronin is going to be a handful tied in with some hilarity :)

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The joy of a Bengal. Into and on top of everything. Only thing I’ve heard working on them is preemptive play time and hidden treats or puzzle to wear out their energy and challenge their minds. My boy was a handful at that age too and if we stayed ahead of him we could usually minimize the damage. Good news is there should be some slight mellowing with age.... or you get used to it. Not sure which is the right version of that statement.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ronin's Okaa

Young Cat
Purraise
The joy of a Bengal. Into and on top of everything. Only thing I’ve heard working on them is preemptive play time and hidden treats or puzzle to wear out their energy and challenge their minds. My boy was a handful at that age too and if we stayed ahead of him we could usually minimize the damage. Good news is there should be some slight mellowing with age.... or you get used to it. Not sure which is the right version of that statement.
It's ALL true! #BengalLife lol I literally have to keep an eye on him but he's the nucleus of the house (no kids, no other pets!) so there's no competition for attention and I pretty much progress along with him at his lightening pace. Other than my worry for his safety he's more amusing, impressive and utterly adorable than anything. Forming my routine around him, having the entire guest room/a lot of the house devoted to him and evolving with his needs is the only thing there is to do. I'm sooo glad I did my research, was emotionally ready (after losing Challice at 15 :bawling: ) and mentally ready to do a 180 in my convenience based/sedentary lifestyle.

And Ahhh puzzle toys...This is where I saw the sheer intelligence shine through. I quit buying them after he conquered them all within minutes and was on to more important things like pulling the pesky stopper out of the bathroom sink drain or tight rope walking the 1.5" kitchen window sill. The preemptive play time for HOURS before bed and treat hunting are the activities that seem to give us both what we need. He's not even 5 mos so the fun has only begun!

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Glad you went in knowing what you were in for. He sounds like an absolute treasure and super lucky to have landed in a home where he is understood.

You can make cheap puzzle toys with a pile of cardboard boxes and tubes. Rearrange them fairly easily by changing the stacking or order of different aspects. Although keeping up with him is questionable. I’ve also seen people hide treats in plastic mice around the house so their cats has their “hunt”.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Welcome to you and your house panther! Sounds like he's a pretty typical Bengal kitten (which is all kittens, but on steroids). I don't have any insights, but we have several members who are familiar with Bengals. Most of it, time will take care of, to some extent. I would suggest looking into harness training him so he can go outside safely and walk off some of the excess energy! Or a Bengal wheel!

5 Incredible Indoor Exercise Wheels for Cats

There are links to the sources. I'm rather taken with the Yin/Yang (actually, the name of that symbol is "Tai Chi") one, myself.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I can’t believe I forgot harness training! The June Bug post I mentioned on your other thread has a Bengal who is harness trained to give him outlet for his energy. If you haven’t already checked that out you should take a look. Taking energetic and curious cats outside really does conquer two birds with one stone plus you can take your cat all sortable of places. This website has helpful information too Adventure Cats - Living Nine Lives to the Fullest

Ronin's Okaa

Young Cat
Purraise
Harness training CHECK!

I was getting a verbal lashing for taking too long with dinne
Welcome to you and your house panther! Sounds like he's a pretty typical Bengal kitten (which is all kittens, but on steroids). I don't have any insights, but we have several members who are familiar with Bengals. Most of it, time will take care of, to some extent. I would suggest looking into harness training him so he can go outside safely and walk off some of the excess energy! Or a Bengal wheel!

5 Incredible Indoor Exercise Wheels for Cats

There are links to the sources. I'm rather taken with the Yin/Yang (actually, the name of that symbol is "Tai Chi") one, myself.
Harness training CHECK!!! I'm soooo glad I started immediately when he was 2lbs! Initially he'd get his bottom jaw stuck in the neck opening & shoot through the house throwing himself on the floor. It was funny & sad, I NEVER thought he'd tolerate it but now he does some light protesting then just waits until I clip it on. I wish the Velcro version were as secure as the clip one's but I decided to use the Velcro one in the house only & make sure I get flea treatments BEFORE venturing out on the deck.

(I was getting yelled at for taking too long with dinner)

THAAANK YOU for the wheel link! The only results I was getting when I searched was OneFastCat. I truly need something decent to look at if it's fixed & takes cubic feet or I'll go nuts.

Ronin's Okaa

Young Cat
Purraise
I can’t believe I forgot harness training! The June Bug post I mentioned on your other thread has a Bengal who is harness trained to give him outlet for his energy. If you haven’t already checked that out you should take a look. Taking energetic and curious cats outside really does conquer two birds with one stone plus you can take your cat all sortable of places. This website has helpful information too Adventure Cats - Living Nine Lives to the Fullest
Thanks! I'm currently trai

Ronin's Okaa

Young Cat
Purraise
Hi! I'm currently harness training & hope to take him out this summer if I can mentally handle the risk (I'm paranoid). If I don't walk him m around different locations I'll definitely get him a little pool to splash in on the deck. I can't wait to see him have fun!!

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
:hellosmiley: Shana, we meet again and here’s another warm

69EC7D34-0B5F-4EF4-A58E-32CCE398F721.jpeg
to you and Ronin from all of us here at TCS

38A1889C-E50F-44A2-AF3F-1427B2B6B14B.jpeg

So glad that you’ve joined this site and you are in the right place for all things cat and this site is loaded with tons of rich resources and you’ll find friendly and helpful cats around and many of our cats are very knowledgeable in cat related stuffs.

New Here? I Have A Few Suggestions For You!
Community Guidelines & Practices - Frequently Asked Questions
Forum Rules

Feel free to ask questions if you have any and start a new thread of your own and post them under the appropriate forum headings and do check out the many informative articles we have here in Articles | The Cat Site

Enjoy your stay and see ya around :wink:

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ronin's Okaa Ronin's Okaa
CritterCord over lamp power cords will stop them from chewing electric cords. But, the 1st week of CritterCords stinks. (I mean they stink/really smell bad for about a week). I used them on table lamp power cords.
Put a harness on him and leave it. May not like it, but, needs to get used to it. If you don't, you will wish you had when it's too late. Then connect leash and attempt walks several times a day.
If you have other pets, make sure he's around them as much as possible. Break up an squabbles with a short time out, then let them back together for more play.
Play, Play, Play as much as possible. BUT, try to instill that hands are not toys. Hands are for petting only.
I'm pretty sure you can't wear him out. But, with enough play, you can slow him down some...for a while. :lol:

Ronin's Okaa

Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much! I'll check those out I'm sure they're on Amazon for all rooms. He doesn't seem to be interested so I can't tell if the citrus oils works but I'd rather have an absolute barrier.

I've been harness training and clipping claws. I must say I thought he'd NEVER get used to it but in no time he just deals with it as a way of life. TOTAL confidence boost for me I hated the idea if "torturing" him constantly.

Do you let your Bobcat roam the house free when you're not there to supervise??? I was getting shunned for putting Ronin in his room while I'm at work. I guess you'd have to know he m but I'd be worried to death with him floating around given his activity level.
Thoughts?

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you let your Bobcat roam the house free when you're not there to supervise??? I was getting shunned for putting Ronin in his room while I'm at work. I guess you'd have to know he m but I'd be worried to death with him floating around given his activity level.
Thoughts?
No. When I'm at work, he's in his outdoor enclosure (1500sq ft). He's just too bonkers to leave in the house un-supervised. He outside during the day and comes inside in the evenings/nights.
He gets to run the whole house every now and then, but, "his" room is the sunroom. Wall to wall, floor to ceiling windows. He stays in there most of the time, seems to like it just fine.
He has zero "laid back" cat attitude. He has one heck of a busy brain and a body that follows that busy brain. He's always going.
And while I've never had a Bengal, I would bet that most of them are a handful as well.
IF there is ONE thing in the house that we don't want him to mess with? If we blink, that's what he's messing with.

Ronin's Okaa

Young Cat
Purraise
I knew I wasn't crazy! When Ronin gets a little older and I observe that he'll be able to handle it I'll have him more independent freedom. We've already had some close calls, that's why I'm paranoid.

Your cat's beautiful and you guys have our dream cat spaces!

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I knew I wasn't crazy! When Ronin gets a little older and I observe that he'll be able to handle it I'll have him more independent freedom. We've already had some close calls, that's why I'm paranoid.

Your cat's beautiful and you guys have our dream cat spaces!
Don't be paranoid. After a few maulings, you loose all feeling in your hands and it won't bother you anymore. :flail:
Seriously though, you'll be okay. Gibsy's 40lbs of reckless abandon and I've gotten good at reading him and knowing what's coming next. They are predictable....start watching you Bengals eyes. They will give away his next move every time.