Bengal problems

Abc12345

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
A while back, I adopted two DSH cats - a 3 yr old male and 2 yr old female. The female always wants to play but the male is very laid back and calm. Feeling bad for my female DSH, I recently bought a bengal kitten to be her play partner. The bengal is an 8 month old male. All cats are spayed/neutered. Unfortunately, my female DSH will not play with the bengal, his energy seems to have overwhelmed her. I did put my cats through a lengthy introduction process and my cats were completely fine with the bengal five months ago when he was small and weak and constantly napping (the female DSH even used to groom him!) until he grew bigger and started playing rough (jumping on them while sleeping, chasing and hunting them). Now my cats are wary of the bengal. The male DSH especially hates him, and will swat or hiss if the bengal even walks by. This just provokes the bengal to chase him, though the bengal does not discriminate and will also hunt my female DSH.

Ever since my male DSH got diarrhea from the stress, I have kept the bengal separated. I have an indoor screen door dividing the apt in half. Why can’t I always just make sure the bengal is conked out and tired as per Jackson Galaxy’s advice? Because it’s impossible. I would have to play with the bengal 12 hours a day to keep him continually knocked out and disinterested in my other cats. I walk the bengal daily for 1-2 hours, and play with each cat 30 minutes a day. After a walk or play session, the bengal will sleep for 30 minutes and is at full power again. I have tried feliway and it seemed to do nothing.

I now divide my time between the bengal and my other cats. All three cats are extremely affectionate and want to be with me 24/7. Not to mention the inconvenience of having to zip open and closed the screen door 20 times a day. My relationship with my male DSH has also worsened, he is absolutely my favorite child and used to love being picked up and cuddled but now he will whine if I try to pick him up while the bengal is nearby (because of the many times I had to break apart a fight and pick him up and separate him). He has also stopped sleeping by my side belly up.

Does anyone have a success story introducing a bengal with a lower energy resident cat? Will my bengal calm down as he ages? Worst case, I will keep them separated for the rest of their lives. But I would really like them to be able to have free range of the entire apt and be with me 24/7.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hey, Silver Crazy Silver Crazy , I think we need you in here!

Bengals are among the highest-energy cats around. While he may settle somewhat, it will be another FULL year before you can even look for that. I wish I had better info for you, but...I SO wish you the very, very best! Silver Crazy is owned by a Bengal, and has a LOT of experience with them. Let's hope he can add something more concrete for you.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I haven't had the opportunity to have a Bengal, so hopefully someone with specific Bengal experience will chime in.

It's my understanding that even in regular cats, males generally rough play until their teens and females stop after their first few years.

What does the little one have for enrichment that doesn't involve the other cats? (Food enrichment, puzzles, interactive toys that don't involve you)

Do you have the ability to harness train him for walks?

Here's some specific articles on Bengal enrichment:
https://quality-bengal-kittens.com/...ects/posts/5682607/mind-games-for-bengal-cats
How To Entertain A Bengal Cat: 15 Proven Ways

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Not an inexpensive solution, but have you considered getting a cat exercise wheel and training the Bengal to use it? I know a few people with Bengals and they all have one and say it's been a life saver. (I was gifted one by a good friend, and only one of my cats will use it, but all my cats are older. A younger cat with a lot of energy and the intelligence of a Bengal should have no trouble learning how fun it can be!)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Abc12345

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Not an inexpensive solution, but have you considered getting a cat exercise wheel and training the Bengal to use it? I know a few people with Bengals and they all have one and say it's been a life saver. (I was gifted one by a good friend, and only one of my cats will use it, but all my cats are older. A younger cat with a lot of energy and the intelligence of a Bengal should have no trouble learning how fun it can be!)
I have two cat wheels but he does not use them.

Silver Crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey Abc12345 Abc12345 you got yourself into a bit of a situation. Bengal kittens just totally hyper all the time but you are doing exactly the right thing in trying to exhaust his energy by play, walking him and keeping him entertained. But Bengals will dominate any other animal in the house and with their high energy and the way they are so physically rough in their play does overwhelm other pets. In the ideal world best thing you could do is get another Bengal kitten of similar age and they will bond together and leave the other cats alone.
No magic fix with this except for your persistence and endless patience..I ill PM you to get a bit more information on the cat and see if we can work out a workaround or alleviate things.

Last edited:

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm sure that Silver Crazy Silver Crazy will be able to give you some real suggestions. He's currently my go-to for Bengal issues, although I'm sure there are other members here who have good knowledge, as well.

Abc12345

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey Abc12345 Abc12345 you got yourself into a bit of a situation. Bengal kittens just totally hyper all the time but you are doing exactly the right thing in trying to exhaust his energy by play, walking him and keeping him entertained. But Bengals will dominate any other animal in the house and with their high energy and the way they are so physically rough in their play does overwhelm other pets. In the ideal world best thing you could do is get another Bengal kitten of similar age and they will bond together and leave the other cats alone.
No magic fix with this except for your persistence and endless patience..I ill PM you to get a bit more information on the cat and see if we can work out a workaround or alleviate things.
Didn’t see this for a couple days - just replied to your DM!

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Now, do me a favor. If you and Silver Crazy find things that work, come back here and share them in detail! It may well help someone else in the future! Better yet, keep us posted on what you try, and how it works as it happens.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Now, do me a favor. If you and Silver Crazy find things that work, come back here and share them in detail! It may well help someone else in the future! Better yet, keep us posted on what you try, and how it works as it happens.
Yes, it's much better to keep the questions and advice in the thread, so that others can benefit. :)

Silver Crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, it's much better to keep the questions and advice in the thread, so that others can benefit. :)
Just finding out a bit more info about the cat and personal interactions with the cat in PM,s which might be a bit too personal to share..otherwise all the other stuff you will sure know about:)

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I would train him to use the wheel. Do this by playing with a toy that is of high value to him. Get him to chase the toy to the wheel and use it. If that doesn’t work, use a treat or several treats to get him on the wheel. The hope is that when he is more comfortable with it he will use it himself.

I would get the male cat a check up with the vet. Any personality change could be a sign of illness.

Abc12345

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would train him to use the wheel. Do this by playing with a toy that is of high value to him. Get him to chase the toy to the wheel and use it. If that doesn’t work, use a treat or several treats to get him on the wheel. The hope is that when he is more comfortable with it he will use it himself.

I would get the male cat a check up with the vet. Any personality change could be a sign of illness.
Noted - we’re actually at the vet right now to get travel certificates (we are moving).

Silver Crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
hey Abc12345
You moving is going to place a whole new dynamics in everything and even the playing field a lot but the Bengal will settle quicker than the others i bet. It can be a new start in the whole process
My main concern is with the interaction with Mochi that it doesnt turn from roughhouse play to hostility.
You will have to intervene physically but gently if you see Tofu intending to pounce on Mochi.
One method I and many others have used is to grasp the cat on the cheek below the ear, hold the cat down gently and firmly then wash the cats face with a licked wet finger over forehead and eyes just like a mother cat does. Instantly deflates any aggression or over excitement as the cat is being treated as a misbehaving kitten and with a male cat..ohh... the embarrassment.
As you have said even after separating the cats after a tussle the Bengal is watching the other cats with hunters eyes..that has to be distracted right away.
Interested to see what happens after you move because possibly the cats will cling together for security and things might change.
Keep filling me in with how they are interacting..Bengals once they get past the kitten crazies are normally very loving to other animals in the household and if we can get the other cats to be partners in crime instead of being overwhelmed by him using play and distraction it will hopefully all resolve itself.

Abc12345

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
hey Abc12345
You moving is going to place a whole new dynamics in everything and even the playing field a lot but the Bengal will settle quicker than the others i bet. It can be a new start in the whole process
My main concern is with the interaction with Mochi that it doesnt turn from roughhouse play to hostility.
You will have to intervene physically but gently if you see Tofu intending to pounce on Mochi.
One method I and many others have used is to grasp the cat on the cheek below the ear, hold the cat down gently and firmly then wash the cats face with a licked wet finger over forehead and eyes just like a mother cat does. Instantly deflates any aggression or over excitement as the cat is being treated as a misbehaving kitten and with a male cat..ohh... the embarrassment.
As you have said even after separating the cats after a tussle the Bengal is watching the other cats with hunters eyes..that has to be distracted right away.
Interested to see what happens after you move because possibly the cats will cling together for security and things might change.
Keep filling me in with how they are interacting..Bengals once they get past the kitten crazies are normally very loving to other animals in the household and if we can get the other cats to be partners in crime instead of being overwhelmed by him using play and distraction it will hopefully all resolve itself.
Thank you for this. The licked wet finger trick sounds fascinating - I’ll try it next time. I really do hope things get better.

Last edited:

Abc12345

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just wanted to provide an update:

The situation never improved. My bengal is now almost 1.5 years old and his energy is still through the roof. I still keep him separated from my two other cats. My two DSH cats have the house for 12 hours, my bengal has the house for the other 12 hours. When it’s not their turn, the cats are kept in their respective bedrooms. I’ve installed tall baby gates on the cats’ rooms so the cats can still see/smell the bengal and not become total strangers. I’m entertaining the thought of getting a second bengal to be a companion to my current bengal because he desperately wants to be with other cats - he just shows his love too aggressively. That said, I live in a 3bd apartment so still a lot of mulling to do.

Attachments