Bengal/Persian mix

keith p

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If a spotted Bengal bred with a pure white Persian, what do you think the offspring would look like? You dont here of bengals cross-breeding often but could you imagine a spotted longhair cat!

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Depends on what color the white cat is masking...and why on earth would you put a persian to a Bengal? I can just imagine how weird the face would look like!

There are already long hair Bengals but I'm sure Nial would be able to answer the question better.

siggav

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Like has been mentioned there are long haired bengals already.

To get a long haired cat you need both of the parents to carry the gene for long hair. I.e it's a recessive gene so you can get carriers of the long hair gene even in populations of short hair cats. I.e short hair gene + long hair gene = short haired cat.

As for the mix you mention I really don't agree with people randomly putting two different breeds of cats together. There are enough strays around and the pet overpopulation etc. so the only good reason for breeding cats on purpose is to help continue and improve an already existing breed, so the cats need to be top quality registered cats.

Anyway yeah unless the bengal were one of the few bengals out there carrying the long hair gene the kittens would all be short haired. The body and head shape of persians and bengals are very different so there's no knowing what the kittens would look like and you'd probably end up with a random mix of both which means they look like neither.

Also I don't know how well the spotted bengal coat would hold up with a mixed breeding like that so you could very likely end up with normal white or tabby striped short haired cats that don't look purebred at all.

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This may sound really odd from someone who is working with a breed of cat that was produced by breeding an ALC to several different breeds of domestic cats, but I am a purist when it relates to keeping the pelt right. That means short.

I am not a fan of the Cashmere's (long-haired bengals). This breed (bengal) wasn't created to emulate a long-haired spotted wild cat, it was created to replicate the Asian Leopard Cat.

A bengal/persian mix is IMO a horrible pair up. Body and Face structure is so disimilar. I'm not promoting or advocating this, but a Maine Coon would be a much better choice.

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kai Bengals

A bengal/persian mix is IMO a horrible pair up. Body and Face structure is so disimilar. I'm not promoting or advocating this, but a Maine Coon would be a much better choice.
I actually wrote the same but decided not to post it! Persian = flat face, small ears, round eyes, very short tail, cobby body. The complete opposite to a Bengal! You'd want an MCO or NFO as a pair up!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

keith p

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The only reason I said persian is #1 for the long coat and #2 I dont hear of pure white maine coon cats usually.

I really only wanted to know what the heck the 2 combined would look like, being they are so different. I always thought the fur would be long and whitish with spots, like a longhaired dalmation but for a cat.

I dont know about genetics so this must sound stupid, but if you google there are some people with persian/bengal mixes, if the persian was all white is a mystery to me there was no photo.

I saw it on Craigslist so I thought mabye someone had photos.

Spotted Persian, something like what I imaged if they crossed.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by keith p

Spotted Persian, something like what I imaged if they crossed.
But you don't need to cross any breeds to get a spotted Persian, it's just the spotted tabby pattern.

And MC's do come in white, the most common seems to be the tabbies but they are available in all colours and patterns. Solids, bi-colours etc.

ferriscat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The gene that causes an all-white persian to be all-white is known as the white-masking or "W" gene. This gene is like a bucket of white paint; if a cat has even one copy, the cat will look completely white. Genetically speaking, the cat could have any other color underneath that "white paint."

There is another gene that would cause a cat to have white, and that is the Seychelles/Piebald or "S" gene. If the cat has one copy of the gene, it could have anything from little white mittens to a tuxedo pattern. If the cat has two copies, it will be anything from a bi-color to a van--where the color is only on the cats head and tail. This gene is completely different from the white masking gene.

A white persian bred to a bengal would make all shorthaired kittens (SH is dominant) and depending on how many copies of the W gene the persian had, either half or all of the litter will be completely white (W is dominant)

Jrap

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The gene that causes an all-white persian to be all-white is known as the white-masking or "W" gene. This gene is like a bucket of white paint; if a cat has even one copy, the cat will look completely white. Genetically speaking, the cat could have any other color underneath that "white paint."

There is another gene that would cause a cat to have white, and that is the Seychelles/Piebald or "S" gene. If the cat has one copy of the gene, it could have anything from little white mittens to a tuxedo pattern. If the cat has two copies, it will be anything from a bi-color to a van--where the color is only on the cats head and tail. This gene is completely different from the white masking gene.

A white persian bred to a bengal would make all shorthaired kittens (SH is dominant) and depending on how many copies of the W gene the persian had, either half or all of the litter will be completely white (W is dominant)
What if you bred a bengal with the long haired gene to a lynx point himalayan? Would that give more of a cross that op wants since lynx point is a tabby gene?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
What if you bred a bengal with the long haired gene to a lynx point himalayan? Would that give more of a cross that op wants since lynx point is a tabby gene?
Half of the kittens would be shorthairs. All will be tabbies. Now, Im not sure which is dominating; spot over mackerel?? One of these will tend to dominate.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If a spotted Bengal bred with a pure white Persian, what do you think the offspring would look like? You dont here of bengals cross-breeding often but could you imagine a spotted longhair cat!
Probably none will be longhair. As shorthair x longhair gives normally shorthair. Unless the shorthair happens to be a carrier of the longhair gene. Some few percentage of bengals are longhair, so there MAY happen the longhair gene. IF so, half of the kittens will be long half shorthair.

White gene is dominating over all others. The probability is high, ALL kittens will be all white. As purebred, the persian will probably be homozygot for the white gene.... But if he has only one white gene, some of the kittens may be bengal-spotted.

So, a bad experiment to try to cross them, if you want to get longhaired spotted kittens.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Half of the kittens would be shorthairs. All will be tabbies. Now, Im not sure which is dominating; spot over mackerel?? One of these will tend to dominate.
A lynx point Himalayan is not necessarily mackerel... it could have any tabby pattern, including spotted.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Where do you think Himalayan cats came from - that was a Persian / Siamese cross. It was, I believe, the F2 generation before the desired long haired Siamese appeared.

F1 will have short hair. Cross two cats from F1, and chi-square results suggest odds of 25% long hair, 75% short hair. But the genetic dice are rolled for each conception. It might be that all kittens have short hair, or all have long hair, or something between the two.

Introduce the Bengal rosette pattern and the odds of obtaining just what's wanted - a long haired Bengal patterned cat - become even more complicated.