Bengal Mix?

JennLynnBurr

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello ☺ I'm trying to figure out if my cat is a Bengal mix, and if not, what breed. She is very large (14 pounds) but not fat, built very solid, long body. Very vocal, jumps high, super soft (like rabbit hair soft) and shiny coat, hair strands are tri-color, large paws, loves water, very intelligent. She has a lot of dog like behaviors. For example, she has learned that my ring notification on my phone means someone is at the front door and runs to the window to chatter/chirp and flick her tail as they walk by. The main reason I'm trying to find out her breed is her aggressive and territorial nature. She "hunts" me often. She will crouch down, creep slowly, ears back, hair spiked, eyes dialated. Then lunge at my legs, wrap around them and bite. She only does this with me. She also stares me directly in the eyes and then will suddenly run across the room, ears back and swat at me. The way that she acts leads me to think she has very strong urges to hunt. Even the way she acts with animals she sees outside. I've had 4 other cats throughout my adult life and I've never seen one that acts so predatorial. She definitely has more "wild" behaviors. I've included pictures as a kitten as well as now. Any feedback is greatly appreciated. TIA
Screenshot_20211015-232453_Photos.jpg
Screenshot_20211015-232606_Photos.jpg
Screenshot_20211015-232203_Photos.jpg
Screenshot_20211015-232316_Photos.jpg
20211015_230300.jpg
20211015_230141.jpg

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Black based mackerel tabby domestic shorthair. I see no evidence of Bengal ancestry. She also does look like she may be overweight to me — can you feel her ribs easily? Behavior is in no way definitively indicative of any breed. She may have been semi-feral or poorly socialized before she came to live with you, or it may just be her personality.

LadyKhaos

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Looks like a beautiful but regular tabby domestic short hair to me :) my tabby /tortie does the same thing especially with my feet
20210823_220520.jpg

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello ☺ I'm trying to figure out if my cat is a Bengal mix, and if not, what breed. She is very large (14 pounds) but not fat, built very solid, long body. Very vocal, jumps high, super soft (like rabbit hair soft) and shiny coat, hair strands are tri-color, large paws, loves water, very intelligent. She has a lot of dog like behaviors. For example, she has learned that my ring notification on my phone means someone is at the front door and runs to the window to chatter/chirp and flick her tail as they walk by. The main reason I'm trying to find out her breed is her aggressive and territorial nature. She "hunts" me often. She will crouch down, creep slowly, ears back, hair spiked, eyes dialated. Then lunge at my legs, wrap around them and bite. She only does this with me. She also stares me directly in the eyes and then will suddenly run across the room, ears back and swat at me. The way that she acts leads me to think she has very strong urges to hunt. Even the way she acts with animals she sees outside. I've had 4 other cats throughout my adult life and I've never seen one that acts so predatorial. She definitely has more "wild" behaviors. I've included pictures as a kitten as well as now. Any feedback is greatly appreciated. TIA View attachment 398660View attachment 398661View attachment 398662View attachment 398663View attachment 398664View attachment 398665
She is a beauty 😻 and looks like a dsh tabby to me as well. No one can know for sure the history of a dsh cat who was rescued from outside or a shelter etc.

As for the behavior you can try various things to change it and maybe consult a cat behaviorist. Try playing with her a lot to tire her out, get some cat trees by windows, try harness training her and take her out for walks etc., build a catio so she can safely get outside, and maybe get her a cat companion who is compatible who she can play and wrestle with etc. Lots of cat interactive cat toys are a great idea too.

If it is a recent behavior I would get a dvm check up to make sure there are no medical issues- prolly a good idea anyway. Some cats just have this as there baseline, they need a lot of activity and to be trained that the aggression to the point of biting etc is not ok.

My Merlin is an outdoor rescue, he had started making friends with me outside, but then bit me outside, not really aggressively, but he had showed some aggressive behavior when first tnr at his release only just after neuter. Anyway he had to be quarrantined after and I trained him not to bite by scruffing him anytime he got mouthy with me, it worked. He is a big love bug now. He still kept some fear remnants of his life outdoors but he absolutely loves being an indoor only guy now. Contrary to JG I do not believe cat aggression is always a result of human interaction but he has some good ideas on what to try anyway.

Here are links…

Feline Behavior Problems: Aggression
Aggression In Cats - Jackson Galaxy

My Cat Suddenly Attacks Me, What Can I Do? - Life With Cats

How To Stop My Cat From Biting and Attacking Me - Curiosity Trained

Why does my cat bite me unprovoked? - Vet Help Direct

10 Tips for Stopping Aggression Between Cats

Last edited:

glory jasmine

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
South Carolina (California native-Sacramento)
Hello ☺ I'm trying to figure out if my cat is a Bengal mix, and if not, what breed. She is very large (14 pounds) but not fat, built very solid, long body. Very vocal, jumps high, super soft (like rabbit hair soft) and shiny coat, hair strands are tri-color, large paws, loves water, very intelligent. She has a lot of dog like behaviors. For example, she has learned that my ring notification on my phone means someone is at the front door and runs to the window to chatter/chirp and flick her tail as they walk by. The main reason I'm trying to find out her breed is her aggressive and territorial nature. She "hunts" me often. She will crouch down, creep slowly, ears back, hair spiked, eyes dialated. Then lunge at my legs, wrap around them and bite. She only does this with me. She also stares me directly in the eyes and then will suddenly run across the room, ears back and swat at me. The way that she acts leads me to think she has very strong urges to hunt. Even the way she acts with animals she sees outside. I've had 4 other cats throughout my adult life and I've never seen one that acts so predatorial. She definitely has more "wild" behaviors. I've included pictures as a kitten as well as now. Any feedback is greatly appreciated. TIA View attachment 398660View attachment 398661View attachment 398662View attachment 398663View attachment 398664View attachment 398665
She’s a beauty!!
I agree that she is a domestic shorthair that has brown mackerel tabby features,(which isn’t a breed but an ethnicity moreover) however,she also has what looks like the bengal “cape” on her back.

I have a bengal mix. He has very distinct bengal markings but his mother,who I also have,is a DSH BMT.(domestic short hair,brown mackerel tabby) Meaning her breed is just a basic breed of domestic cat and her markings are that of a tabby.

The black cape is specific to some bengal breeds,like mine,which is the black and silver(charcoal/black)version. It’s mostly confined to the charcoal/black bengals. A lot of young cats have it and as they age,it disappears. If it doesn’t disappear by age 1 or so,it won’t. It’s hard to say for sure because we don’t know her parents or their lineage.
Either way,she’s a stunning gal!

Attachments

Last edited:

glory jasmine

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
South Carolina (California native-Sacramento)
I’d also say that her behavior is not strictly related to the bengals. Any cat can have that “wild” nature about them. I’ve had several cats throughout my life of all different breeds. Sure some breeds may be more prone to aggression but that doesn’t single out any other type. It can depend on their circumstances prior to your home and traumas they may have encountered either outside in the wild,where they face many different challenges and dangers with other animals and such,or with other humans. We currently have a rescue who is so tiny but has the biggest attitude. She’s extremely aggressive at times. She is just a DSH BMT. She showed up to our friends house as a youngin and they got her spayed and vaccinated. Then we took her. But we have no idea what she has experienced prior to this. We assume she’s been in the wild,where cats are not most people’s favorite. And unfortunately ,they experience cruelty and neglect. Her tail was injured and it now a bobtail. She’s not a bobtail cat,you can feel the injury and where it was severed unevenly. Very sad. That experience,however it happened,sticks with an animal. Especially when it happened as a youngin. It trains their brain to fear and react a certain way to certain things.
Whatever her story is,continue to show her your compassion and love. Perhaps she’ll grow out of it. Don’t punish her. Cats do not receive this as intended and it will make things worse. She is yours now and you just show her that she’s safe. Wish you the best!

Last edited: