Bengal Mix

GataAgapy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone! I just joined the site today :)

I've attached photos of our beautiful Amber plus her mother, father and brother. The father is clearly Bengal and i was told her mother is half Bengal. Her mother has the same marbled pattern as Amber but no white socks/bib. Her brother clearly has spots in his coat. Her sister is rather white, with patches of striping/spotting. There is also a photo of the mother with the three kittens - Amber, her brother and her sister.

Do you think Amber is three-quarter Bengal? It doesn't really matter either way but I'm just interested! Her coat certainly is super soft and she has the prominent wisker pads like a Bengal.

Thanks so much everyone :)
Emma

Attachments

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Daddy is a spotted bengal with these nice bengal spots [rosettes]. Momma is classic tabby - probably domestic.

Amber is a classic tabby.

Sis, Im not sure, she is a tortie and white, I dont see clearly if and what tabby pattern she has.
What gives. If the littermates are biologically 100% siblings, someone of the parents must carry red. So either momma has a red spot, is not just warm brown on belly but perhaps red for real. OR there was some friendly neigbour whom helped out. Bengal daddy isnt visibly red and shouldnt have red spots - but could have warm brown nuances here and there.

Amber? Spotted tabby dominates over classic tabby. So if daddy is purebred, he cant be the father. OR he is from a sloppy breeding, and carries both spotted and classic. But most serious breeders would surely try to keep the bloodlines intact, ie dont mix spotted /rosettes and classic.
They would do the outmost to mate a spotted with spotted, and marbled with marbled...

I dunno, but a guess is, there are two fathers.
Bro, whom is spotted, and the sisters whom aint. Their daddy was probably a red and white tom.

Very nice cats all of them!

Last edited:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree. Father definitely has the 'rosettes' of a Bengal. Mama is a classic marbled Tabby. Amber is a beautiful marbled tabby domestic shorthair with white. All are beautiful, special cats!

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They are lovely cats!

The Bengal male in the picture is probably not the father of any of these kittens. Did you see the Bengal male at the owner's household when you picked up Amber? Or did they just send you his picture?

All three kittens in this litter have white markings... but mom doesn't have any white markings at all. Since white spotting is a dominant trait, we know the father of the kittens must have had white markings, so he couldn't have been the Bengal in the picture. The father of the kittens probably wasn't a Bengal, since white markings are not allowed in the Bengal breed.

Other than the white markings, it's hard to say what color the dad would have been. Since mom is a tabby, the dad could have been tabby and white, black and white, gray and white, etc. I'm not sure if the dad could have been red and white, since Amber doesn't appear to have red tabby patches. I agree with StefanZ StefanZ that the picture of the sister by herself looks like she is some kind of tortie / calico... but the sister appears to be tabby and white in the picture of the litter with three kittens, so maybe the tortie / calico appearance is just a trick of the lighting. In any case, however, the white markings on all of these kittens are the giveaway that the kittens' dad isn't a Bengal.

I would describe Amber as a brown classic tabby and white domestic shorthair. Classic tabby refers to her tabby pattern with bold swirling markings and a "bullseye" on the side. Her mother is also a brown classic tabby. Both Amber and her mother have typical classic tabby patterns. I'm not seeing any evidence of Bengal influence in their pictures.
I agree. Father definitely has the 'rosettes' of a Bengal. Mama is a classic marbled Tabby. Amber is a beautiful marbled tabby domestic shorthair with white. All are beautiful, special cats!
"Classic" and "marbled" tabby are different. Classic tabby cats look like Amber and her mother, with the "bullseye." Marbled tabby cats have a modified classic tabby pattern that looks different from the usual classic tabby.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

GataAgapy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks everyone. The seller’s neighbour has a Bengal male and they assumed he was the father as he was always with the mother. I don’t think the owner was particularly concerned about him breeding around or maintaining the bloodline! Anyway, regardless of whether Amber is part Bengal or not, we absolutely adore her! 🧡

Aglaya Felipe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

I've attached photos of our beautiful Amber plus her mother, father and brother. The father is clearly Bengal and i was told her mother is half Bengal. Her mother has the same marbled pattern as Amber but no white socks/bib. Her brother clearly has spots in his coat. Her sister is rather white, with patches of striping/spotting. There is also a photo of the mother with the three kittens - Amber, her brother and her sister.

Do you think Amber is three-quarter Bengal? It doesn't really matter either way but I'm just interested! Her coat certainly is super soft and she has the prominent wisker pads like a Bengal.

Emma
I posted about this a month ago, I got two sisters that were explained to me as half Bengal but I got them from a rescuer but no one could identify them as such from the coloring. They have almost the exact same coloring as Amber and Amber's sister. Pheobe looks like Aglaya and Amber like the sister.

Attachments

Aglaya Felipe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm actually really glad that you posted this because when people were saying like, either way they're not technically Bengal cats I was kind of like, oh ok maybe I don't need to be as intense about them, if they makes sense. But I'm back a few weeks later to say- behavior wise they are definitely Bengal. Pheobe (the marble tabby) has a little bit more of a chill domestic personality you could say. She sleeps a bit more, she's a little less vocal. But she will easily overeat to MAKE herself sleep (out of boredom?) during our work day we think. So now we're realizing she's much more vocal and active with a more appropriate amount of food. Aglaya, he more calico looking one is Completely obsessed with me. Full on puppy love. Sleeps in my lap while I work during the day but follows me within inches even when I leave the room. Cries if she forgets where I am. She is the chattiest cat I have ever met and the both of them spend at least 3 hours of the day playing steeplechase all over the house. If we don't play with them A LOT during the day they will be up all night playing "jungle chase" all over the room and eating any piece of paper they find. That all being said I've had them for about 2 months now and I love them to absolute bits. I just legit need to schedule breaks during my work day to play with them at this point. I'm trying to harness/leash train them as fast as I can so I can get them outside time too. I got one of those balls that flashes and rolls around by itself, a cat fountain and plenty of crinkle and jinlge balls. We've got a tree and a couple scratching posts and wands but if anyone can let me know what they're doing with their bengal cats/ bengal mixes to get them their exercise please let me know! They actually get bored of their toys! (except the red crinkle balls).

Aglaya Felipe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

I've a
I'm actually really glad that you posted this because when people were saying like, either way they're not technically Bengal cats I was kind of like, oh ok maybe I don't need to be as intense about them, if they makes sense. But I'm back a few weeks later to say- behavior wise they are definitely Bengal. Pheobe (the marble tabby) has a little bit more of a chill domestic personality you could say. She sleeps a bit more, she's a little less vocal. But she will easily overeat to MAKE herself sleep (out of boredom?) during our work day we think. So now we're realizing she's much more vocal and active with a more appropriate amount of food. Aglaya, he more calico looking one is Completely obsessed with me. Full on puppy love. Sleeps in my lap while I work during the day but follows me within inches even when I leave the room. Cries if she forgets where I am. She is the chattiest cat I have ever met and the both of them spend at least 3 hours of the day playing steeplechase all over the house. If we don't play with them A LOT during the day they will be up all night playing "jungle chase" all over the room and eating any piece of paper they find. That all being said I've had them for about 2 months now and I love them to absolute bits. I just legit need to schedule breaks during my work day to play with them at this point. I'm trying to harness/leash train them as fast as I can so I can get them outside time too. I got one of those balls that flashes and rolls around by itself, a cat fountain and plenty of crinkle and jinlge balls. We've got a tree and a couple scratching posts and wands but if anyone can let me know what they're doing with their bengal cats/ bengal mixes to get them their exercise please let me know! They actually get bored of their toys! (except the red crinkle balls). Other thing is they get jealous about who's getting attention from me. He plays with them regularly and they both snuggle mainly with me. But if I'm playing with one of them, the other tends to get sullen and walk away instead of joining in. If one of them is sleeping in my lap and the other enters the room, they will look at us sort of startled and walk away kind of sad. How can I show them I've got enough love for both? They love playing and cuddling with each other!
ttached photos of our beautiful Amber plus her mother, father and brother. The father is clearly Bengal and i was told her mother is half Bengal. Her mother has the same marbled pattern as Amber but no white socks/bib. Her brother clearly has spots in his coat. Her sister is rather white, with patches of striping/spotting. There is also a photo of the mother with the three kittens - Amber, her brother and her sister.

Emma

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Re cats with an extra nicely classic tabby pattern, perhaps even a marblish type. Shall we always suspect they may be in part a Bengal mix?

Not necessarily. There are quite a few breeds whom may have very nice, fancy classic tabby pattern. Often silver black, and very expressive, even if seldom these typical bengal marbles.

So, IF we suspect our rescued / Kiji bougt cat with unknow ancestry isnt "just" a moggie, but may be part Bengal, because of the classic tabby looks, we may as well presume this cat has ancestry of some other breed where such fancy classic tabby is common....

"so the ancestry may be noble, but not necessarily from the Duke, it may be also from the Marquis, or from Sir Arnold, or even Dame Evelyn". So to speak. :)

Even if Bengal is a relatively common breed for being purebreed. And also, bengal studs are renown for being lively and difficult to keep inside, they are are often sprayers. - And thus a careless bengal owner / byb breeder, will tend to make it easy for himself and let the tom out to relieve his tensions....

My two cents in the speculations about a possibly ancestry for the somewhat look alikes. :)

Last edited:

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The male cat that they think is the dad is for sure a bengal but doubtful he is the dad. Especially since the sister has so much white the dad would have had to have a ton of it. Doubtful mom has any bengal either. I do hope the neighbor who has the bengal fixes him. They are an extremely desirable breed and likely to get stolen if allowed to roam. Bengals are stunning but extremely high energy cats, and not the breed for everyone.

I posted about this a month ago, I got two sisters that were explained to me as half Bengal but I got them from a rescuer but no one could identify them as such from the coloring. They have almost the exact same coloring as Amber and Amber's sister. Pheobe looks like Aglaya and Amber like the sister.
One is a caliby the other is a torbie. Very unlikely they have any bengal in them. The one with less white does she has white shafts? Like when you part her hair does she have white coloring near the skin? If so she's a silver torbie.