Bengal Kitten Diarrhea

spacegirl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have read that Bengals seem to be susiptable to diarrhea. Does anyone have any more info any suggestions for food? I have put him on Iams hairball as some suggested and what the breeder has used. He seemed fine for awhile but now he is back to having diarrhea.

Thanks

maverick_kitten

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Many of the Bengal breeders here reccomend a raw diet for Bengals. I have seen it reccomended on other sites also.

dragonlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can try a little canned pumpkin too. This will sometimes help. If you changed his food too quickly it can also result in tumy problems. What does your vet say? Did you get him tested for worms or giardia?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

spacegirl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I changed the food over a month little at a time. He was checked for worms, that doesn't seem to be the problem. I have him at a kitty kennel over the holidays and she is going to try the Royal Canin, she swears by it. Has anyone heard good things about that food? I just want him healthy, he is super active. But the soft runny stool worries me.
Thanks for the help

hell603

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most likely it's food allergies - some Bengal lines have not fully developed a stomach like domestic cats and can't handle a lot of the fillers in dry food.

My Loki - also a Bengal has that problem. His issues are with Wheat, corn and soy.

The only food which he has been on for 3 1/2 years that helped was Life's Abundance.

here is the link if you would like to give it a look - I swear by it !!

PS: This food is good for all life's stages.

http://www.healthypetnet.com/Healthy...egory=Cat_Food

Good Luck!

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by spacegirl

I have read that Bengals seem to be susiptable to diarrhea. Does anyone have any more info any suggestions for food? I have put him on Iams hairball as some suggested and what the breeder has used. He seemed fine for awhile but now he is back to having diarrhea.

Thanks
I know there are some (not many) bengal breeders that use Iams, but I don't think it's a very good food for bengals. Might be great for other cats, but not bengals.
If you can't feed your bengal a raw diet, then I would recommend a Wysong canned meat diet and some (not a lot, 25% of daily intake) dry food. I have found that Pro Plan and Purina One chicken are fairly decent and will not cause loose stools.
Whatever you ultimately choose to feed, remember to switch over gradually or you could make the situation even worse.

Side note: From my own experience and others will back me up, feeding raw produces consistant solid stools. It's fail safe in that regard.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

spacegirl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks all, I am going to look into all these suggestions. What exactly is it you feed that is raw?

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would only suggest that if you decide to feed raw that you do your research first. There are some bengal breeders here that could give you some advice and assistance. Some raw diets (from my understanding) need to be supplemented so get all the info you can before changing over.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

I would only suggest that if you decide to feed raw that you do your research first. There are some bengal breeders here that could give you some advice and assistance. Some raw diets (from my understanding) need to be supplemented so get all the info you can before changing over.
and talk with a vet knowledgeable about raw feeding... I know there are many sites out there ... I will find a few to post for you info about raw feeding... I can tell you that my dog and cat just started a few weeks ago and they are doing well( thanks to many of the members here and my vet)

bengalbabe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by spacegirl

Thanks all, I am going to look into all these suggestions. What exactly is it you feed that is raw?
I also think you should try the raw diet. I have a recipe on my website at http://www.littleleopardcats.com
If you have any questions at all you can ask me, Kai bengals or Solarity bengals (im speaking for them, sorry guys I hope that's ok) Were all on this board to help.

solaritybengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Raw diets are wonderful but I know its not always an option for people. Depending on where you live there might even be preprepared raw foods you can feed (I buy mine in a 1lb tube and my cats get 2 meals a day from this). I don't have to do any prepreration but you can certainly do this.

I have a bengal and a savannah (who has bengal in here). The savannah has no problems with her stomach but my bengal does. If I change food to quickly it will cause her some stomach upset (she is also an early generation meaning she is still a bit wild and really does need the raw foods). I would take any changes really slow. There are a lot better foods available to you than Iams as it is sort of a middle run food. Putting wet in the diet might help and I believe royal cannin is good but not too sure. I know my girl accidentally got into some Wysong Vitality dry food I had hidden the other day and she ate the whole sample bag and no problems resulted. Innova EVO is another good one. Usually these are found at little pet stores that carry super premium foods.

If you decide to do raw expect opposition from the vet. Frankly not all vets are very up on this diet and because they don't know about it, they will oppose it. This will mean additional research on your part will be needed. I was lucky that my vet openly admitted that she knew nothing and that as long as I did my own research she was interested in seeing the result.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If raw is not an option ... aim for the highest meat content with the least grain... I perfer one meat to one grain( two meats to one grain is great but hard to find) ... I personally didnt have luck with cat evo( ymmv) and that kitty is back on a two meat two grain formula ...

Royal canin makes some very good formulas but if corn is the possible cause of upset try one free of corn ( some handle corn gluten when corn is a no no ... others need a formula like natural balences venison and pea with unquie protein and starch