Bengal, half bengal or fake?

KrisTik

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I recently bought my Kitty for half price of bengal just because owner said it’s born with broke colours, on last pictures he is playing with his sister with which born at the same time (screens from owner’s video) and the exact last picture is parents (owner’s), the question is could it really happens or it’s just mother bengal got cubes from different fathers? Please 🙏🏻 I would be so thankful for replies, I will definitely not love my kitten less but I want to know if the breeder is liar

Attachments

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Most legitimate bengals will come with papers.

In Canada, bengal breeders usually need an exotics licence since anything above E7 (I believe and as of last time i checked. Aka Gen 7 from the leopard parent) requires it. So a grest way to find out, is ask to see a copy of the breeder's exotic licence OR the breeding parent's certificate of breed. Rules in other countries are likely similar.

In Canada, and especially near Québec, there are tons of fake bengal breeders. Its easy to get the dame coat patterns by breeding large tabbies. Studies confirm that bengal coat patterns are not as wild as they appear anyway.

Most cats sold as "bengals" are tabbies mixed with larger breeds of cats. Most are basically paying for the coat colours and not a true cat-leopard mix.

It is very possible for one cat to get pregnant from multiple fathers so that a litter is filled with half-siblings rather than just full siblings.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

KrisTik

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Honestly thank you for your time and reply
But the question is more about is it possible this type of genetic colour mistake or more likely it’s just another father? 🤔

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You've got a tabby cat! :) My favorite kind of cat! :)

The "M" pattern on the forehead and the stripes around the eyes are the giveaway. Very common markings in tabby cats.
Tabbies often have spots on their tummies, too.

There are several different types of tabbies: Striped, spotted, swirled, etc. Tabbies can be mixed between types, too.
I think you've got a mixed tabby. :)

Our youngest, Elliot, is a tiger tabby (AKA: Mackerel.) He's got spots on his belly, just like yours. :)

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
different fathers fully possible; but not common!

parents seems to be rosette ”spotted”?

what is kitten? blotched tabby or ticked tabby?

blotched / classic is less dominant than spotted, so he could be biological child of rosetted / spotted parens.

parents of course not high quality breeding.

but ticked tabby is very dominant; so prob another father.

Is there a ticked tabby tom / stud somewhere nearby?

KrisTik

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry whats mean tabby? I could not quite understand it. I’m sure 100% that mom is bengal cat (one of two on owner bengals picture (last picture)) but I simply think that mom-cat let’s say got pregnant also out of another street cat (maybe like she jumped out owner territory or street cat came to the territory) so I have no doubts regarding mom bengal at all, but I do about father ps. Ps Owner have big outdoor territory with walls where both bengal parents casually walk

KrisTik

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Also if u look carefully u will see stripes from tail through on top of the back like it’s started to be more bengal🤔

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Honestly thank you for your time and reply
But the question is more about is it possible this type of genetic colour mistake or more likely it’s just another father? 🤔
Depends on the genetics of the parents.

Identifying the 5 Types of Tabby Cat Markings

If you don't have papers, it's far more likely that you got scammed and it's not truly a bengal at all then a breeder letting a stray get at the mother during breeding time

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Your kitten is very beautiful. When I looked at Bengal kittens one of their males had escaped and the breeder was concerned about getting him back and having him neutered. It is possible that your kitten could be half Bengal, though he resembles a mackerel tabby. I've never heard of Bengals having pattern issues, with the exception of melanistic (not sure if I spelled that correctly) kittens, which are all black. They are usually sold at a discounted price, since they don't have the leopard look. They are pretty though, and I wouldn't have hesitated to buy one because I wanted the wild cat aspect.
My mom talked me into adopting from a high kill shelter and I never looked back. The cat in my signature is a mackerel tabby. He had gorgeous spots as a kitten. He was the love of my life (sorry, DH) and I think your kitten will be the same for you.

Please note that I am not saying your kitten isn't half Bengal. I am not doubting your word. If the breeder I met didn't catch her runaway cat, there are probably mixed Bengals all over the area not far from my DH's church. Sometimes, that sort of thing just happens. My cousin's purebred Persian got loose and roamed her neighborhood. He was not neutered, either. He only returned home once, and he was totally feral at that point.

Last edited:

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry whats mean tabby? I could not quite understand it.
A tabby cat is a kind of domestic cat with a distinct coat pattern that legend says comes from the name of a city near ancient Baghdad that was known for weaving silk cloth with distinctive striped patterns. Nobody can really prove whether tabby cats originated in the city of Attabiya. However, there is a historical association between the cats and their namesake. I think it most likely that people simply made the visual association between the striped cats and the striped cloth then, after years went by, people just started shortening the name from "Attabiya" to just "tabby."

I wanted to have a cat with "tiger stripes" when I was a kid but my father wouldn't let us have a cat. We had several dogs and he said that the dogs would kill a cat. I was too young to call him on his bull$#¡†. What would it have done, anyhow? Maybe get my a$$ beat.

Now, I can decide on whether I have a cat or not. A little under half of them have been tabbies.
Maybe it's because I'm, subconsciously, trying to make up for lost times. Could it be? I don't know and I don't care because I just think that tabbies are cool! :)

You know... Bengal cats were, originally, a cross-breed between a domestic cat and a wild cat. It's quite possible that more of his domestic DNA came through when he was conceived than his wild DNA. Like you said, there is a strong possibility that a Bengal cat got impregnated by a domestic cat. That would account for a lot.

There isn't a way that you can, rightly, say that he's a Bengal cat but you can say that he's part Bengal. Then, you look at the cat, squint your eyes and say, "I think he's got some tabby cat in him, too!" ;) ;) ;)

Last edited:

KrisTik

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
T
Your kitten is very beautiful. When I looked at Bengal kittens one of their males had escaped and the breeder was concerned about getting him back and having him neutered. It is possible that your kitten could be half Bengal, though he resembles a mackerel tabby. I've never heard of Bengals having pattern issues, with the exception of melanistic (not sure if I spelled that correctly) kittens, which are all black. They are usually sold at a discounted price, since they don't have the leopard look. They are pretty though, and I wouldn't have hesitated to buy one because I wanted the wild cat aspect.
My mom talked me into adopting from a high kill shelter and I never looked back. The cat in my signature is a mackerel tabby. He had gorgeous spots as a kitten. He was the love of my life (sorry, DH) and I think your kitten will be the same for you.

Please note that I am not saying your kitten isn't half Bengal. I am not doubting your word. If the breeder I met didn't catch her runaway cat, there are probably mixed Bengals all over the area not far from my DH's church. Sometimes, that sort of thing just happens. My cousin's purebred Persian got loose and roamed her neighborhood. He was not neutered, either. He only returned home once, and he was totally feral at that point.
Thank you for your kind reply 🥺 now I have no doubts that it’s not both parents are bengal of my kitten but mom bengal and father is tabby, what is still great for me because he behaves and learn like bengal, his eyes is green (as mine I kinda dreamed about it to be in my kitten) and he is just lovely to me kitty who I will definitely not like less just because of this situation. He is mine, I responsible for him and I already do love him a lot 💞🥹

KrisTik

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A tabby cat is a kind of domestic cat with a distinct coat pattern that legend says comes from the name of a city near ancient Baghdad that was known for weaving silk cloth with distinctive striped patterns. Nobody can really prove whether tabby cats originated in the city of Attabiya. However, there is a historical association between the cats and their namesake. I think it most likely that people simply made the visual association between the striped cats and the striped cloth then, after years went by, people just started shortening the name from "Attabiya" to just "tabby."

[/URL]

I wanted to have a cat with "tiger stripes" when I was a kid but my father wouldn't let us have a cat. We had several dogs and he said that the dogs would kill a cat. I was too young to call him on his bull$#¡†. What would it have done, anyhow? Maybe get my a$$ beat.

Now, I can decide on whether I have a cat or not. A little under half of them have been tabbies.
Maybe it's because I'm, subconsciously, trying to make up for lost times. Could it be? I don't know and I don't care because I just think that tabbies are cool! :)

You know... Bengal cats were, originally, a cross-breed between a domestic cat and a wild cat. It's quite possible that more of his domestic DNA came through when he was conceived than his wild DNA. Like you said, there is a strong possibility that a Bengal cat got impregnated by a domestic cat. That would account for a lot.

There isn't a way that you can, rightly, say that he's a Bengal cat but you can say that he's part Bengal. Then, you look at the cat, squint your eyes and say, "I think he's got some tabby cat in him, too!" ;) ;) ;)
Thank you too 😭 for your time and big kind reply
It’s clear that he is more highly just half bengal and not genetic mistake of colours. But he anyway adored 🥹🤍

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thank you too 😭 for your time and big kind reply
It’s clear that he is more highly just half bengal and not genetic mistake of colours. But he anyway adored 🥹🤍
A bengal is a leopard mixed with a domestic cat so I don't think that would make him "half bengal". Just a lower amount of leopard.

Bengal Cat FAQ

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are there any 'rosettes' on her anywhere? I see a couple on the sister. Rosettes are circles of color with another circle inside, usally solid and another color possibly.This is a must on true Bengals. Whatever she is, she is absolutely beautiful! It cannot be purebred Bengal if it is not papered. If you saw papaers on one of the parents then it is at the least half. Tabby is not a breed but a color pattern of the coat. Can be stripes, big swirls, broken stripes, several different paterns. ALL cats have the tabby gene in them. They have a 'M' on their forehead between their eyes too. Eevn solid colred cats will show 'ghost stripes' in bright sunlight.