Bengal, Cheetoh, Ocicat...?

mmconroy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
When I got the cat I was told it was a Bengal. Once I got it home and out of the kids hands I wasn't so sure. He had been DNA tested and shows Bengal link. What does anyone think?

Last edited by a moderator:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
As said above, no rosettes, and even the spots  so so, even if they are true spots.  So either a very pet quality bengal if someone proves its a real purebred bengal.  But my guess its sooner a descendant - third generation or so.  The spots has detoriated...  Although some of the typical golden shine is still visible.  And this is the reason I do accept there is some bengal in her - the domestic spotted tabbies has seldom such a warm goldeniish shine.

When you see a real bengal, you never need to hesitate. This is true for show quality bengals, but also for most of pet quality.

The summary: if it is important for you with a true bengal, this is not the way to go.  If you are happy with a (hopefully) nice cat whom is a spotted tabby - here you are!

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

mmconroy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the replies. He is the best cat! He is a little larger than my other cat that he is only a month and a half older. She weighed in at 3.5 pounds last Friday at the vet. He is extremely loud and active! But wonderful with the kids.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just looked up some Bengal breeder websites and it seems that spotted Bengals are pretty common :dk:. I don't see any reason to think he's not Bengal. Pet quality, yes, but still Bengal.

If it's important for you to be certain you're getting a purebred, be sure that you only get registered cats from well respected breeders.

Last edited:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The newest two pics does make him more justice.  Now even I see there is certainly Something aside of the goldenish shine I abserved earlier.   I may even be talked into he IS a pet quality bengal...  Or a natural son.  A great grandfather is not longer necessary for me.   :)

msserena

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
When I got my little Jasmine, I wondered if she had Bengal in her so I contacted a couple of breeders, sent them pictures & they told me she does have some. She doesn't have any rosettes, only spots & stripes.

I looked into DNA testing but from everything I read & researched, no test was going to be accurate & I didn't want to spend money on something not accurate! Dog dna is completely different from a cats. 2 males can be utilized by a female, instead one dad for one set of kittens. it's super complicated. I should look into it again because I really would like to know for sure.

Oh another thing is she feels different from any other cat I've ever felt. I used to volunteer at a shelter, I've touched MANY cats, Jasmine's fur feels more like a thick pelt, she's super soft & her fur feels thick. I think that's another way of recognizing Bengal is I'm told their fur is more pelt like.

Last edited:

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A litter of kittens can have more than one dad, too. I've seen that for myself with a queen I had for a long time. 

mnickens517

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
@msserena I have a 2 kittens that will be tested very soon to see if they Bengal Kittens. I'm almost positive they are after speaking with one of my local breeders. I absolutely believe the are Bengals, just not show babies. I have a forum open if you would like to look and give me you opinion. My local breeder gave me information on cat DNA testing that is inexpensive and I wanted to share with y'all. The test run about $40. Here is the site.
https://www.vgl.ucdavis.edu/services/cat/

This is my babies... I have plenty of pics on my forum I have open.
View media item 403436

msserena

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I will check out the thread you started. I don't know if you looked at the website for the DNA testing, the only one that can tell a specific breed is the $120 Cat Ancestry test & that only tells where the cat is likely from. The lab has to perform some brush on the cat, you can't swab them.  Like I stated before, because kittens can have more than one dad, determining breed through analysis is not as easy as a dog, I don't know of any place that does it.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

Well, he has spots instead of the rosettes typical of bengals. Let's check with @Bengalcatman
I want to add,  since this tread started, I was on cat show nearby.  And there among all the rosette and marbled bengals, there were also one spotted bengal, with quite ordinary spots.  He was purebred and with all pedigree and papers, of course.    I presume he didnt got no big prizes, but he was apparently allowed to participate.   So, yes,  there IS such an animal as a spotted bengal, the typical rosettes arent necessary -  contrary to what I thought earlier.

I saw now Willowy mentioned there exists commonly spotted purebred bengals.   :)

mnickens517

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the information! I know for sure they are NOT just a regular cat! No matter what they are, they are amazing! Would love to learn and read more on their breed that is main reason I'm asking.