Bengal, Bengal mix, or just a tabby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gvldcoins

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’ve been told that this kitten is a bengal, could someone help me take a look at these pics? I’m not sure if he’s really a pure-bred bengal. Thank you!

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gvldcoins

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He is A BEAUTY!!!!! Does it really matter if he’s pure bred?…
I personally see a lot of traits not Bengal, but he could be part…..
These are kitties that need homes desperately….
Thank you for the reply! I agree that he’s very pretty, but unfortunately he’s not up for adoption… it’s because my acquaintance’s friend claims to be a bengal breeder and is selling him for about $1100, which is pretty concerning 😥😥

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the reply! I agree that he’s very pretty, but unfortunately he’s not up for adoption… it’s because my acquaintance’s friend claims to be a bengal breeder and is selling him for about $1100, which is pretty concerning 😥😥
Oh no…. I am not a breeder!!! But wouldn’t think this is fare to the kitten…. I don’t see the typical bengal traits. And if she has mixed bloodlines un the past, it is possible a kitten not looking bengal can be born.

Last edited by a moderator:

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
This looks to me like a very cute little tabby domestic short hair. Describing cats isn't my strong point but, I agree with cheylink, this does not look like a Bengal to me.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
He seems to be a spotted tabby after all, ie not broken mackerel. I cant rule out some far away bengal parentage; some of the spots MAY be sorrowful rests of the renown rosettes.

But the Ancestry is at very best a granddad, - probably more ancient than this

So, for all practical purposes, he is a domestic.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He is not pb bengal imo and he looks very dsh tabby with some spots. I am not that familiar with bengals but I recall someone here saying that the rosettes take time to form in kittens. I do see something that looks like rosette like spots there maybe. How old is he?

Either way he is a beauty. Here he is with pics of pb bengal kittens. Things not b like about him: Bengals have a smaller head ratio to body, longer hind legs and a hump on the back thus as well as ears that are more rounded and farther apart on the head. They also have a very clear delination their pattern which can be marbled, rosetted or spotted, Imo more so than not all but many other tabbies. Their fur is super soft so I have heard but I have never met a bengal kitty in person.

His eyes are more rounded which is typical of bengals. More bengal pics as adults below.

B6EF0208-CA9F-4B2F-A19F-252CFB283E2B.png
C861B0C0-EB02-4B13-B4AA-2338D8C88C0C.jpeg
39F240D1-90FF-4DE3-8050-C026B515255B.jpeg
BEF24BC3-ACD7-4DB8-92DA-FE6C296F0786.jpeg
D4C09A0C-04FD-405B-8C3D-861F53982978.jpeg
8E4E09AA-088B-424C-B3DB-A68FC3224700.jpeg

Last edited:

Dficzere79

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I definetly see some bengal in your cat. Bengal tabby mix's can show more genetics from one parent then the other. Everyone looks at physical markings but to me its the characteristics that will help you decide yourself in the long run. Bengals are more vocal then tabbies, they have spotted bellys, the biggest one they are far more intelligent than tabbies and in time youll know. Another is if you eject a tray from a dvd player or video game console does he grab it with his paw and try to bite it. Does he strip toilet paper rolls lol. A big indicator does he tolerate getting wet?Or despise it like most cats. If he displays some of those characteristics he has bengal in him. Trust me in time you'll know just by how he acts if you research a pure bred bengals personality vrs.a straight Tabbies if hes a mix or not.... biggest difference intelligence and a bengal mix wont leave ur side if it doesnt have to.

Dficzere79

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Nothing indicating Bengal there to me either but going to have a nice coat when he gets older.
Why the constant focus on physical appearance when this cat clearly could have some bengal in him... in time the personality will decide .

Dficzere79

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He is not pb bengal imo and he looks very dsh tabby with some spots. I am not that familiar with bengals but I recall someone here saying that the rosettes take time to form in kittens. I do see something that looks like rosette like spots there maybe. How old is he?

Either way he is a beauty. Here he is with pics of pb bengal kittens. Things not b like about him: Bengals have a smaller head ratio to body, longer hind legs and a hump on the back thus as well as ears that are more rounded and farther apart on the head. They also have a very clear delination their pattern which can be marbled, rosetted or spotted, Imo more so than not all but many other tabbies. Their fur is super soft so I have heard but I have never met a bengal kitty in person.

His eyes are more rounded which is typical of bengals. More bengal pics as adults below.

View attachment 391639View attachment 391640View attachment 391641View attachment 391642View attachment 391643View attachment 391644
Youre showing varying f1-f5 bengal photos when she asked does her cat have some bengal. Not is it a bengal ;).

Dficzere79

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’ve been told that this kitten is a bengal, could someone help me take a look at these pics? I’m not sure if he’s really a pure-bred bengal. Thank you!
It looks like a tabby bengal mix but in time if you research the characteristics of a bengals personality you will know by how he acts if theres bengal in his genes. Trust me.. youll know :).

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Very sweet kitten.

Nay, whatever he is, he isnt no purebred bengal. Even if we can label him as spotted tabby; probably not just a broken mackerel.

Its not impossible he has some ancestry. Some of the spots looks almost as rests of rosettes.

But the kinship is not nearer than a granddad, but prob even further away.

Why so many grandchilds? Because bengals are lively and known as sprayers. So if you have a unspayed bengal male, you are perhaps a BYB breeder, or a careless owner, you can barely have him as inside only cat. The easiest is to let him out on the nights...

So, domestic shorthair, blue spotted tabby. (or diluted spotted tabby if you want).

ps. I notice I had already answered this thread earlier on. But my new responsa is essentially the same and confirms each other., I let both stand.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Youre showing varying f1-f5 bengal photos when she asked does her cat have some bengal. Not is it a bengal ;).
Actually she said she was told it was a bengal and also asked in the title for opinions on whether it is pb/ mix or dsh tabby.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
This is an old thread, revived. It's pretty clear that this kitten is not a Bengal and the OP is aware of this saying: my acquaintance’s friend claims to be a bengal breeder and is selling him for about $1100, which is pretty concerning 😥
Further debate is not useful so we will lock the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.