Bengal behavior

Jennifer33

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey,
I am reaching out because I’m at a loss for what I need to do for my bengal. I have a vet appointment for her next week because I can only think maybe there’s something medically wrong.
She was spayed 2 years ago. She will be 4 may 18.
I’ll do my best to give a back story but we moved last august due to house fire ( neighbours house) currently living in a quite small basement suite. Plan on moving as soon as we are done 1 year. My partner introduced his 4 year old rag doll 1 year ago this month.
she doesn’t have massive windows like she previously did so I cannot put up her window hammock. Which I know she misses. But her constant need for attention ( yelping, crying ) is wearing us out. We brought his cat to his parents yesterday to see if he could be making things worse but still 2am 5am she’s crying. Change her litter 2x a day now. Give her more play time ( outside on harness, walks chasing around the house. Toys, you name it)
She always results right back to meowing. Im really trying and just want a bit more advice. We also have 3 cats trees ones 7 feet tall in our tiny ass basement lol. Help !

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. What kind of windows are in the basement, and can anything be seen from any of them? Are you using any one of the cat trees you have to reach to one of the windows? Maybe you could build a platform with a 'seat' on top that could go next to a cat tree and allow her to use the tree to get over to the platform seat to look out one of the windows? I am just proposing this as a semi-easy way to see if her being able to see out one of the windows would help any. Maybe wall shelving leading up to a window (would take up less space)?
28 Cat platforms ideas | cat diy, cat furniture, cat room (pinterest.com)

Have you considered bird/squirrel videos? Cat calming music? There's spotify, Youtube, Alexa cat music, RelaxMyCat and MusicForCats. How about some cat calming treats? Calming diffusers?

Hopefully other members will soon come along and offer more helpful ideas!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jennifer33

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. What kind of windows are in the basement, and can anything be seen from any of them? Are you using any one of the cat trees you have to reach to one of the windows? Maybe you could build a platform with a 'seat' on top that could go next to a cat tree and allow her to use the tree to get over to the platform seat to look out one of the windows? I am just proposing this as a semi-easy way to see if her being able to see out one of the windows would help any. Maybe wall shelving leading up to a window (would take up less space)?
28 Cat platforms ideas | cat diy, cat furniture, cat room (pinterest.com)

Have you considered bird/squirrel videos? Cat calming music? There's spotify, Youtube, Alexa cat music, RelaxMyCat and MusicForCats. How about some cat calming treats? Calming diffusers?

Hopefully other members will soon come along and offer more helpful ideas!
Hey thanks for the tips. I’m willing to try anything at this point. We have 3 egress wi does so a metal barrier as we’re underground. There’s one tiny window that’s ground level to our back yard but that’s it. All 4 are reachable ! Between the couch the bed and there’s a cat tree by one and a dresser they jump up to. Even thinking of a temporary ( catio nothing fancy) in the mean time until we move in august.

Jennifer33

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yeah I was thinking the small window as it’s an older house so it lifts open lol. Prop that and than they can chill in the back yard but ! What do I build that’s not overly expensive for a few months moving mid august

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
This is included in the link I provided above - maybe it can give you some idea on something easy to put together and take apart?
Window Catios / Cat Window Boxes - Catio World. I have heard of folks constructing them from chicken wire too.

When you get a few minutes, just go through the links I provided, I think you will find some good ideas in them that aren't expensive.

Jennifer33

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Checked it out and pvc might actually be better than building a wood structure because it’s so temporary and a lot cheaper as well. :) reall thank you

Nebaug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Be very careful with this enclosure . My local store has that for their adoptable cats and they open very easily. Every morning employe arrive the cats are all over the shop, thankfully they can’t leave the building. i originally liked it lol and wanted to buy it and they strongly discouraged me even tho they would make a sale. Do not let them unsupervised in there.

Jennifer33

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok sounds good yeah that won’t work. I mean I want to be home when they go out but I don’t want to be westching constantly. So I think I’ll just build something with my father this weekend see what we can come up with :)

Silver Crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey J Jennifer33 sounds like you headed the right way especially after moving into a smaller living area.
Bengals need space and mental input so if you dont have the space anymore the mental input has to go up.
Giving her something like a window box will make her feel less restricted or keep her interested is the only way to solve the problem.
But dont be afraid to ask the vet for some medication to calm her down because you dont want to make this behavior a habit and that's very hard to break in a Bengal and you dont want this to continue when you get into your new place.

Jennifer33

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No for sure don’t want this to continue, it’s becoming stressful. All hours of the night you play and she still doesn’t it after your done. Like I’m sorry I can’t play 24/7 ! But I will see what the vet says

platty

Hobbyist Bengal Cat Breeder
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yep agree get an outdoor safe space mine use it all the time even in winter!