Benazepril For Early Kidney Disease

Ursula Helida Carvalho

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello, everyone! First of all, sorry if there is already a thread about it but I have searched and haven't found any.
Well, my Shiva is 4 years old, eats normally, plays and has no clinical signs of chronic kidney disease. However, her recent blood works have showed creatinine to be at 1.4 rate which, according to her vet is above the ideal as stated by the international standards. Also, her most recent urinalisis showed proteinuria (protein in her urine). As I said before, she is otherwise healthy except that she has a cistitis (which is being properly treated already).
As for the kidneys, her vet has decided to start the following treatment: renal dry food to be mixed with her regular dry food, homeopatic medication to help the kidneys' functions and benazepril once a day to decrease proteinuria (her blood pressure is slightly high).
My only concern is about benazepril because I've read that it may increase the levels of creatinine in the very begining of the treatment and in some cases it can actually worsen the kidneys' disease!!! :paranoid:
Has anyone gone through the same situation?? :help:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ursula Helida Carvalho

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Here is some information on the use of Benazapril for kidney cats. Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease - Proteinuria

I've had three kidney cats and use the above website as my "go to" for anything kidney related. I'm hoping you will find it useful.
Thank you so much for your kind reply! I have already checked on this site (Tanya's); it's a great site, very complete and informative!
The problem is that my vet won't accept that this medication may actually damage the kidneys instead of improving them... if I insist on talking to her about it, she will be offended for I'm acting like I'm questioning her expertise... On the other hand, if I just do as she says and a problem occurs, I will be co-resposible for worsening my kitty condition... I don't know what to do! :confused2:

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Personally, I don't think your Vet should be offended for you questioning everything about the health of your furry friend. She should be thankful that you take such an active role in her health. As long as you are well informed and have your ammunition with you as to WHY you are questioning, and listen to her side of why she thinks it's ok, then your relationship with her should not be damaged. Our Vet knows that I'm not in the medical field, yet she appreciates that I research everything when it comes to taking care of our little ones. She actually learned a few things from us :wink:

Anyway, once you get all the info as to WHY do it from your Vet, then you'll need to lay out the Pros and Cons and make up your mind as best you can. :hugs: There are never any guarantees. We can only do the best we can

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ursula Helida Carvalho

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Personally, I don't think your Vet should be offended for you questioning everything about the health of your furry friend. She should be thankful that you take such an active role in her health. As long as you are well informed and have your ammunition with you as to WHY you are questioning, and listen to her side of why she thinks it's ok, then your relationship with her should not be damaged. Our Vet knows that I'm not in the medical field, yet she appreciates that I research everything when it comes to taking care of our little ones. She actually learned a few things from us :wink:

Anyway, once you get all the info as to WHY do it from your Vet, then you'll need to lay out the Pros and Cons and make up your mind as best you can. :hugs: There are never any guarantees. We can only do the best we can
Yes, I agree with you. Vets should understand our fears and concerns and discuss the matter with us but... this is not what usually happens. At least not here in Brazil... In my country, doctors (for humans) and vets think they are gods, you know?... They never assume they may make mistakes and that medication is also poison. :mad2: This one is a nice person and loves cats a lot and in general, she uses to be very competent but still she refuses to have a conversation about pros and cons of any treatment. I have told her of what I found out in the internet about this medication and all she told me was that she never saw this in clinical history... Then I tried again to talk to her and sent her a whatsapp message but she never repplied. What am I supposed to do? :confused:
Anyway, she on benazepril for threee days already. And I'm awfully worried. Every time I give her one pill I feel like I may be doing the wrong thing...
I'll try to find a way to talk to her vet asap... Thanks again for your kind support!! :thanks: