Benadryl dosage?

windycat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't think my Vet would give me instructions on how to kill my own cat. My vet also suggested Benadryl for Buddy after her rabies shot when she scratched the area where the shot had been administered. I didnt have to give her Benadryl because she was back to her normal self the next day. I'll take a certfied Vet who's been in business for 15 years advice over random commenters on the net, any day. I'm saying this because of other hysterical comments (old and recent) that I've read on this site concerning giving cats Benadryl. It IS safe for cats if you give the correct dosage.

linda smith

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
1 mg per pound or a little less if that makes you feel better.  it typically makes them sleepy but in cats can cause them to be very hyper sometimes.  Just use a little less the first does to see how it works.  But 1 mg per pound is a correct dose.

selia kackley

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Okay so what do you recommend for our cats allergies because I have gotten second and third opinions from different vets and I have gotten the same recommendation every time. My vet is well known and has great credentials, very popular and well trusted in our town. He says to ope the benadryl pill and to sprinkle the powder into their food and mix it in well. Honestly I have seen a huge difference in my fur babies with less sneezing and their eyes look so much better than before.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My vet gave me a little paper with doses for various antihistamines.  Zyrtec (or generic equivalent) is one half tablet twice a day.  Claritin (or generic equivalent) is 1/4 to 1/2 tablet once a day.  We have had good luck with Zyrtec for one of my kitties because the Claritin was no longer working.  She may have developed an immunity to it.

rcman56

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our vet told us 1mg per pound for dosage of liquid Benadryl. Also, you can buy liquid Benadryl at Dollar Tree, no need for an expensive prescription. You'll need an empty syringe to measure the amount correctly and have an easy way to squirt the medicine toward the back of your kitty's throat. I doubt the enjoy the taste of children's Benadryl, it may be grape flavored or something distasteful to cats.