Benadryl dosage?

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

Interesting that that page says about 20 mg would be right for an 11-lb cat, which is more than I've seen anywhere else, and almost 1/2 the dose for an adult human.

Also interesting is that they say loratadine (claratin) is also safe for animals. I'd sure want to hear that from a vet and not from the manufacturer.
I do not think I would be giving my own cat that kind of dosage. After see some of the others responses I think I should add the instructions my vet gave were for a cat that was having a sever reaction to a vacination and she was having difficulty breathing. She only gets Benadryl before her vacinations to prevent her from having a life threatening emergancy.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, as I said, I haven't been able to get ANY in her, so how much to give is really a moot point. I can live with her nose, if I have to; I just wanted to make her feel better if I could, but it doesn't look like that is going to happen.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Check with your vet about giving Chlorphenerimine maleate. I think it is more palatable to them. At least Abby thinks so.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by AbbysMom

Check with your vet about giving Chlorphenerimine maleate. I think it is more palatable to them. At least Abby thinks so.
You have a trade name for that?

I'm seeing a number of people who have been told to give their cat loratadine (generic claritin).

Still, I'm reluctant to embark on a life-long dosing program.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
If I had a trade name I wouldn't be attempting to spell it out all the time.

OK, did some googling:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chlorpheniramine

I use generic chlortabs from Wal-Mart.

This would not necessarily be life-long especially if it is an environmental allergy. You could only give it to her if she flares up.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by AbbysMom

If I had a trade name I wouldn't be attempting to spell it out all the time.

OK, did some googling:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chlorpheniramine

I use generic chlortabs from Wal-Mart.

This would not necessarily be life-long especially if it is an environmental allergy. You could only give it to her if she flares up.
I'd just like to give her nose a chance to heal.

I worry about any medication, knowing how easy it is to damage a cat's liver or kidneys.

notacatperson2

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi folks, I came in late.  As for the question of the lowest safe dose, (NOT a vet here, just a thought) you might try giving her one drop of the infant's formula.  I would highly reccomend asking your vet of twenty years first though, as the infant's formula is at a stronger consentration.  I have a two year old, and a ferret and five dogs... They all enjoy the flavor, as does the stray cat that I'm currently treating for an injured leg.  We only gave him one drop, to help him stay calm in a house with five dogs (and to help with the swelling in the event of a spider bite) at this point his leg is way too swollen to determine what caused the injury, so we're giving him antibiotics also.  The ferret has seasonal allergies, and every fall she tries to go off feed, and gets mucus in her stool, so we have to keep the infants benadryl on hand pretty much year round between Babee and my daughter.  Honestly though, if you can get any into your cat, it's better than nothing at all.  (she WILL foam the whole room, so try the bathroom o.k.?)

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, as I said, I haven't been able to get ANY in her, so how much to give is really a moot point. I can live with her nose, if I have to; I just wanted to make her feel better if I could, but it doesn't look like that is going to happen.

Was the diagnosis of allergies based on a stuffy/runny nose?  If so, you might consider whether she has a low-grade, chronic upper respiratory infection. If so, L-Lysine might be worth trying instead.  The human tablets tend to be pretty flavorless, so they may be easier to sneak into food than Benadryl.  There are also cat treats and pastes that are supposed to be tasty that include L-Lysine.  Also, it's very safe, since it's just an amino-acid and not a medication.

tara hite

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
On animal dosages in general: The smaller the animal the faster the metabolism. So a cat, for example, will get a larger dose PER POUND than a human for most drugs.

stephvt

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes the vey is.right. im a vet tech and We.reccomend benadryl as an OTC antihystamine. The doses for liquid is 1mg per pound. The dose for a pill would me the same way so if u have a.20mg tab and your cat weighs 10 #.you would give a 1/2 tab

scampycat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ummmm, not to be an arse, but .25 is less than .5

.5= 1/2 mg
.25= 1/4 mg

I used to teach math :D

carol hop

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat was actually "stung" or "bitten" by a stinkbug. Now now, don't tell me they don't bite and/or sting (I think it's more of a sting). Google it, (Google: cat stinkbug swelling)  ...  there is something that they "inject" when they let out that HORRIBLE smell.

Ugh ... 

Anyway I knew a stinkbug had been killed  during the night, I get them alot, usually trap them and release, never squished one cuz I heard about the "stink".  Bug Grady, my little 6 month old kitten, apparantly was playing with one and tried to eat it.  

The stink, OI!  

I didn't know though, at the time, Grady had a problem. i just moved us all out of the room to sleep on the couch. Too stinky ...

The next morning, Grady, approximately  6 month old kitten had a swollen mouth (lips/tongue, hard to tell). Grady was a street cat before I rescued him and I can't really pick him up, although he's much friendlier, I can pet him when I approach him carefully, and he is integrated successfully with my other cat.

ANYWAY .... (the not being able to catch him is important, here).... it was still swollen last night, (hard to get a look when I approach him and he runs, ALMOST used binoculars).  He was better, but still not eating and/or drinking, although he was interested in eating and drinking because he'd come to the food then leave.

Called the vet.  It was a vet not familiar with my cat (an emergency vet service).  She said "you must give him benedryl right away" and I asked if children's cherry liquid  Benedryle was ok, she said yes. I tasted it myself, it's not that bitter, compared to that adult stuff!

She asked the cats weight, I said 6 pounds and she calculated it out knowing I was giving children's benedryl, and she told me to give him 2.5 ml every 12 hours. That's 5 mls per day.  I have a syringe to measure.

Some of the doses mentioned here sound SOOOO much higher but each situation is different.  

Yup a dog is going to get much more if it's a big doggy!

I couldn't get to Grady to give it to him. But I was able to shut him in a room he ran in for a while, and I put down a little food with some benedryl, along with a little plate with benedryl mixed with water (the total benedryl between the two was the 2.5 ml)

I let him free. Didn't want to stress him in that room (he spent a few weeks in that room while I tried to "socialize" him so he'd stop hissing at humans ... worked! ) .... 

This morning, swelling is down, he is drooling somewhat though. First thing upon waking I tried to check it freaked him out and now it's like "cat and mouse" but only "cat and human" chase.  Finally got a good look, saw the drool, saw barely any outside swelling. This dose I'll mix with a bit of food, vet said OK.  I'll make it REALLy mushy so he could almost lap it up since his mouth hurts.

Cats drool when they have something "inpalatable" I've heard.

Last edited:

michael ganoe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm a veterinary technician working in an emergency clinic. Benadryl - or more specifically diphenhydramine - is a safe drug to give to cats, both in the oral and injectable forms. The liquid form may cause GI upset (drooling, vomiting, and diarrhea), but I can't count the number of cats having allergy attacks I have injected with that drug, and then sent home with a Benadryl dose prescribed by the DVM.

True, it is ~always~ better to consult a vet on dosage. But if they have said 1/4 tablet or whatever, then it is dosed at the appropriate amount such that it will not cause significant side effects, including drowsiness... oh, and cats rarely suffer the drowsy effects of medications. That's why the injectable anesthesia most often used by doctors doesn't include actual sedatives, they include disassociative drugs like Ketamine and benzodiazepine tranquilizers like Diazepam (Valium). Drowsiness is rarely an issue with cats unless the Benadryl is given together with another medication such as an opiate or a phenothiazine anti-vomiting medication.

michael ganoe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It's the same version for all animals... and it's also the same version as for humans, whether you talk about caplets, elixirs, or injectable.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Please note that this is an old thread. While it's good to review the information occasionally, you may not get much response. Some of the members who posted previously are no longer active on TCS.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I started the thread, and it's a moot point; I've never managed to get a cat to take a benadryl dosage, since apparently the drug is soooooooo bitter to cats.