Benadryl dosage?

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The vet suggested I give Ella some benadryl for what she thinks are allergies. She suggest about 1/2 of child dosage or 1/4 of an adult dosage.

Now, benadryl makes me sleepy, and I weigh 170 lbs. Ella weighs well less than 1/10 of that, only 10 1/2 lbs. That looks like way too much for her. What do you think?

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My vet told me that the max dose for cats is 1 mg per 1 lb of body weight. So that would mean her maximum dose should be around 10 mg. My vet had me start with 1/2 the max dose (in your case 5 mg) and then go up from there as necessary.

I'm not a vet but those are the exact instructions I was given when Maggie had an allergic reaction to her immunizations.

fuzzles

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My vet told me to give my cat 1/4 of an adult pill. So far it hasn't made her drowsy, so your kitty should be fine with 1/4 of a pill. My cat weighs 8.5 lbs.

I also wanted to add that you might want to wrap it in a little piece of cheese when you pill your cat or a pill pocket (my cat doesn't like the pill pockets). My cat starts drooling everywhere as soon as the benadryl touches her tounge and i've found that if you wrap it she won't drool at all. I was told it's because benadryl has a really bitter taste to cats and that's why they drool.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
PLEASE consult a different vet ... about the dosage ... Firstly none of the doses seem right as cats genereally should not have this drug

blaise

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've been advised by two Vets to use Benadryl if ever required after a one of mine might be stung by a wasp, and I have read of other similar accounts.

Here is PetPlace's reference for the use of Benadryl in cats:"In cats, diphenhydramine is dosed at 0.25 to 0.5 mg per pound (0.5 to 1 mg/kg) PO every 12 hours but it has a bitter taste. It is also dosed at 0.5 to 1 mg per pound (1 to 2 mg/kg) IM every 12 hours." (IM=injectable)

If it were I, and the use was for allergies, I think that I would use the lower of the two dosages, .5 (1/2) mg per pound of body weight.

You should also note the "Precautions and Side Effects" section.

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here are the instructions that my vet gave me, when Cleo was stung on her mouth by a bee (she weighed 9.5 pounds at the time.) Her poor little lip swelled up nearly as big as my pinkie finger!

Benedryl (Diphenhydramine HCL) 25mg caplets (DO NOT use 50mg caplets)
1/8 caplet, repeat every 4 - 6 hours as needed.

Benedryl Elixir: comes in two strengths...

12.5mg/5ml - give 1ml, repeat every 4 - 6 hours as needed

12.5mg/1ml - give 1/4ml, repeat every 4 - 6 hours as needed

Benedryl elixir is most often found in the 12.5/5ml formulation, called Benedryl Children's Allergy Relief. Most stores carry a generic. I keep it on hand at all times, for emergencies (in case any of the girls get stung...the wasps are vicious this time of year!) Actually, I consider it an essential item in my "kitty first aid kit".

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes for a First aid or ER kit I would have it on hand but for everyday use consult a vet ..

1/8 yeilded about 3.125 mg s

so do consult a VET for individual instruction on this and all drugs

meowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First off, I think liquid would be easier to give. Also, the vets dose does seem a little high. As long as you are only using it this one time it shouldnt be too big of a deal. Do they make a cat version?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Meowers

First off, I think liquid would be easier to give. Also, the vets dose does seem a little high. As long as you are only using it this one time it shouldnt be too big of a deal. Do they make a cat version?
NO they dont make a cat version... I regularly deal with five vets and all five researve this drug for ER type applications( ie the bee sting)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

PLEASE consult a different vet ... about the dosage ... Firstly none of the doses seem right as cats genereally should not have this drug
I appreciate your concern and your expertise in nutrition, but just as advising medical treatments for pets on the internet without a visit to a vet is a bad idea, advising pet owners NOT to follow the advice of an experienced vet who they have dealt with for years and whose expertise and concern they know is also a bad idea and can create real confusion and unnecessary pain and suffering for both the owners and the pets. Please consider that before you make these judgments.

At any rate, right now it's a moot point; Ella is very resistant to being dosed with anything, and even the tiniest amount of benadryl hidden in her food was enough for her to reject the whole plate of food.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

I appreciate your concern and your expertise in nutrition, but just as advising medical treatments for pets on the internet without a visit to a vet is a bad idea, advising pet owners NOT to follow the advice of an experienced vet who they have dealt with for years and whose expertise and concern they know is also a bad idea and can create real confusion and unnecessary pain and suffering for both the owners and the pets. Please consider that before you make these judgments.
PLEASE Re read I firstly suggested consulting another vet for advise..

PLEASE consult a different vet
... about the dosage ... Firstly none of the doses seem right as cats genereally should not have this drug

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

PLEASE Re read I firstly suggested consulting another vet for advise..

PLEASE consult a different vet
... about the dosage ... Firstly none of the doses seem right as cats genereally should not have this drug
Again, this is a vet I have used for 20 years, with great success. I am NOT going to another one, unless this one goes out of business, and I don't expect that.

She suggested trying it, gave me in writing the recommended dosage. She said the dosage might need to be adjusted, or it might be that we didn't want to mess with it at all. I was just double checking here what others might have had experience with the medicine or the dosage.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
YOU are the one who asked

If she wrote it and you were so comfortable you would Not be asking... if it were me i would have either called her or another vet to double check

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Actually, I was more wondering if there was a minimum dosage that anyone knew of from experience. My preference would be not to dose a cat with any medication long-term. In this case, I don't figure Ella has an allergy because of a shortage of bendryl; I have been hoping being indoors and away from the shelter would reduce her problems. It just hasn't seemed to work out that way.

whiteforest

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My vet has told me that human benadryl is relatively ineffective in cats. But, if your vet is recommending it, the dosage that was given to you seems like it's right. Just to note, I'm basing that on only having given it to a dog. My dog broke out in really bad hives one summer and we were told to give her 4 benadryl, which I believe is 100mg total per dose. She was 85lbs, and the dosage worked for her and did not make her drowsy. I would have slept for a week if I took 4 all at once.

althekitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi sorry, I have come in at the end of the thread but I just wanted to ask, is the Benadryl being discussed the Benadryl for humans? or is it a cat version? My kitty has been stung a few times and it would be great if there was something I could get. I would be happy to use cat Benadryl but prob not human one unless I was advised to by a vet and then I think I would prob ring another just to clarify.

blaise

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Althekitty

...is the Benadryl being discussed the Benadryl for humans? or is it a cat version?...
There is no "cat" version/Veterinary-only Benadryl product...

If I were you - and my kitty had experienced bee stings in the past - I would, tomorrow, place a call to my Vet and get the pre-approval I felt I needed so that I would be prepared for "next time".

althekitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I will def ring vet tomorrow, my cat has annoying habit of chasing bees and wasps down and then he gets stung, it happens quite a lot in the season so it would be great if I could use something to help him out, bless him. Thanks for the advice, much appreciated

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Interesting that that page says about 20 mg would be right for an 11-lb cat, which is more than I've seen anywhere else, and almost 1/2 the dose for an adult human.

Also interesting is that they say loratadine (claratin) is also safe for animals. I'd sure want to hear that from a vet and not from the manufacturer.