Belly/Back muscle rapid contraction & behavior change

Solyx

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone,
My cat has begun lately to experience some strange episodes, it suddenly starts with rapid contractions (sort of waves) of her back/belly, she aggressively licks herself ,she either hide in the closet or jumps to a high place (like in the video here attached). the episode lasts a few days then she become normal again . I thought it was due to something she ate but the episodes have occurred several times now, i tried to take her to the vet but, dear god she become super agressive and dont let anyone touch her. i'll take her anyways but i wanted to share with you a video of the episode maybe the experts here know already what's the problem.
NB: She is not spayed yet and had experienced heat cycles before.

Attachments

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Welcome!!

Ask the vet for something you can give her ahead of the next vet visit that will calm her - she needs to be spayed.

(I couldn't get the video to load but maybe someone else will be able to).

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Without seeing the video I can only guess at FHS...feline hyperesthesia syndrome. Discuss this with the vet as there are options for meds if you need them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Solyx

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for the replies. i've uploaded the video on YouTube, here's the link:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Don't discount fleas - at least check for them and rule them out. Feeby, who may have a mild form of hyperesthesia, started acting a little bit differently, much like what I see in that video. She would have that flicking skin reaction, lick herself, and find locations that she hadn't been in recently - high or low, including closets - as if she were trying to get away from something. It turned out to be fleas.

However, in your case, the only explanation for why it would stop and start might be explained if it coincides with your cleaning routines, which would help to reduce the number of fleas and flea eggs in the cleaned areas. Before I really realized exactly what was going on, I did reflect back and noticed that Feeby behaved less like this right after I vacuumed and did my housecleaning. Feeby, btw, is an indoor only cat, but with access to a screened in patio - so she could have gotten her fleas from the patio to start with - or, simply because we brought them in on our shoes or clothes.

Last edited:

Solyx

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. Don't discount fleas - at least check for them and rule them out. Feeby, who may have a mild form of hyperesthesia, started acting a little bit differently, much like what I see in that video. She would have that flicking skin reaction, lick herself, and find locations that she hadn't been in recently - high or low, including closets - as if she were trying to get away from something. It turned out to be fleas.

However, in your case, the only explanation for why it would stop and start might be explained if it coincides with your cleaning routines, which would help to reduce the number of fleas and flea eggs in the cleaned areas. Before I really realized exactly what was going on, I did reflect back and noticed that Feeby behaved less like this right after I vacuumed and did my housecleaning. Feeby, btw, is an indoor only cat, but with access to a screened in patio - so she could have gotten her fleas from the patio to start with - or, simply because we brought them in on our shoes or clothes.
Thank you for the reply.
I've checked for the fleas second time she experienced the episode,none present at least visible, i've bought her a flea collar but no improvement and she continued like that for 7 - 10 days after.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thank you for the reply. I've checked for the fleas second time she experienced the episode,none present at least visible, i've bought her a flea collar but no improvement and she continued like that for 7 - 10 days after.
Did you flea comb her to check for fleas? I can brush Feeby and not find one flea, but let me use a flea comb and set the comb in a dish of soapy water with each stroke, and that becomes whole other story!! Another trick you could try is setting out some small dishes of soapy water in places where she has spent some time, with a bright light shining on the dish - overnight - and see if you can any fleas in the water the following morning They are attracted to the light and will drown when they go in the dish with the soap.

I don't put much faith in flea collars. While they may kill adult fleas (or, not), it likely doesn't stop them from laying eggs before they die. Those eggs drop off onto the floor or where ever else she (what is her name?) spends time, only for her to 'collect' them the next time she is in that same area.

I am not saying that this is for sure fleas, but there are other ways to check for fleas to ensure there really aren't any.

Solyx

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat does the same thing. But 90% of the time its right after she eats. Did you find out anything from the vet?
Hi,
I took her to the vet, no fleas detected, he suspected worms instead and gave her anthelmintic / vermifuges, 2 pills to take 15 days apart. unfortunately no improvement, and she is still in the same state. the folowing video was taken 2 days ago and shows better her condition;

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Man, that looks EXACTLY like what Feeby experiences with the fleas. I couldn't find in this thread where you said you actually flea combed her. I know if I don't do that with Feeby, I never even see fleas. If you actually did do a thorough flea combing, and are sure there are no fleas involved, is it possible you have some sort of mites in your home (could even be dust mites) that are attacking her?

If not, then the next step would be to consult with a neurologist. That video would be a great thing to share with one to start with. It could be FHS, and while that cannot actually be diagnosed (nor specifically treated), a neurologist is likely very well familiar with it. Does she ever react like that when she is resting/sleeping?

The other thing I suppose you could could consider is some sort of bizarre reaction to a food, litter, and/or environmental allergy. Normally those look more like biting/scratching at spots rather than jerking all by itself.

EDIT: Btw, most FHS episodes are brought on by touching the cat first. Is that happening in your girl's case?

Also, take a look at this article - just for some additional ideas.
Involuntary Muscle Trembling in Cats - Symptoms, Causes, Diagnosis, Treatment, Recovery, Management, Cost (wagwalking.com)

Last edited:

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have one with FHS. Just out of nowhere he will act just like that, if not more hyper. Really hurts to see him that way. Catching him and holding him still seem to help more than anything.
The other cat has even more violent/hyper episodes. We assumed FHS also, but finally figured out it's "odor" related. Just figuring it out took forever though.
A) He got in the trash can, grabbed a beer can, carried it around, dribbled beer all over the place, started an episode. Thought alcohol.
B) Got into fireplace kindling, spread small wood slivers all over the place, wallowed all over them, used one as a chew stick, ate half of it. Thought it was a reaction to ingesting cedar or wood.
C) Have family over for Thanksgiving, Christmas. Thought too many people make him nervous, scare him, freak him out.
D) Came out of his carrier once like there was a porcupine in there with him. Maybe scared? Fleas?

A) It was the scented trash bag
B) Cedar smell
C) Holiday candles
D) Stink Bug in his carrier