Bellabear’s Eye is watering

nujay

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Bellabear has been rubbing her right eye and squinting. Her eye is watering a little, nothing severe. It happened suddenly last night. One moment she was fine, the next she was hiding behind the entertainment center and when she came out, she was squinting her eye. She does open it occasionally as long as it isn’t bright in the room. She did eat a little this morning, but she just seems uncomfortable. I stayed home to make sure she was ok and my other two cats didn’t pick on her. I took a look at her eye (she let me pull it open) and it doesn’t look injured and as far as I can see there isn’t anything in it. Although she may have gotten dust in it or something. What can I try to help her at home? The vet is only open for emergencies right now and due to all this virus situation, my savings are dwindling. She’s currently in her favorite sleeping place on top of the cabinets.

Attachments

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She might have scratched it or she might have a little irritant in it. I would call the vet's office and see what they recommend.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh dear. IF you happen to have Genteal or Soothe XP artificial tears (OTC for dry eyes), they are both safe to use on cats, and may do the trick until a vet can see her. There may be other brands of PLAIN ARTIFICIAL TEARS that are safe, but those are the two that I know. I keep a bottle of Genteal in Hekitty's medicine box.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nujay

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We flushed it with plain saline solution...she did not like that. We will see if it helped in the morning. She is currently curled up under the bed covers next to me, sleeping.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a cat with squinty eye a few weeks at some point in May to September from allergies. Every year, and it was always the same eye. However, the eye wasn't watering. So that is a difference, but still, this time of year, seasonal allergies might be a possible dx. Of course, since you have multiple cats, an accidental scratch while playing is probably more likely.

I personally wouldn't run to the vet right away unless it looks infected. Not like the vet is going to do retinal surgery. If its not infected, they will likely just tell you to wait and see how things go. (I did take my cat to the vet for squinty eye, and of course the cat wasn't doing it by the time the appointment rolled around so I got no dx. It wasn't until the next year that I figured out it was allergies.)

Last edited:

nujay

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I would wait. But it seems to be really bothering her and is watering a lot now. Still just tears, no gunk or anything. But she is clearly uncomfortable. Soonest appointment I could get was 5pm tomorrow. She’s in the bathroom, on her favorite blanket, loafing. She’s been eating and drinking. That was one thing I was worried about because I had a cat die in the past from hepatic lipidosis from not eating before. I wouldn’t wish that on anyone. It was so sad. She started growling and pawing at it last night, so it’s to the vet for her. The vet said to put the cone of shame on her, but she’s stressed enough. She isn’t continuously pawing it, she’s just done it a couple times. We got some Nutri-vet eye cleaner to just squeeze in with a cotton ball. It’s supposed to help with irritation. Hopefully it brings her some comfort until we can get her to the vet. Hopefully the bill isn’t too crazy. (Although of course I would give everything for her if I had it...)

nujay

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Bellabear has been resting all day. I’ve seen her eat. But she hasn’t used the cat box yet. I feel so bad that I can’t get her in until 5pm tomorrow. Also I found out that since there are procedures for Covid-19, I just have to drop her off to someone at the curb and then they bring her in, examine her, then come out and let me know what it wrong. It sucks to not be able to go inside with her when she is scared and in pain. I did get a little of the eye wash in her eye, she did not appreciate it at all. Her third eyelid is showing a bit on her injured eye now.

Attachments

nujay

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, 350 dollars later we found out she has a scratch on her eye. So we got some antibiotic ointment to put on it twice a day. And she got a steroid shot and a pain shot. Bonus on the steroid shot, it lasts for 4-6 weeks and may help her over grooming, provided its allergies and not behavioral. She is feeling pretty good. Having to keep her guarded a bit because the other two don’t like she smells like the vet and they’re hissing at her.