Bella won’t eat again !

Nancy55

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello .. I have an appointment today for Bella … she 10 years old and this is an on going thing every year or so … She stops eating and drinking we go to the vets they run a few tests .They give her an anti nausea shot she usually starts eating again ..I’m on here wondering if you guys who have been helpful in the past can give me suggestions that I can make to my vet today .. frankly I’m tired of paying $1000’s for blood work and X-rays for them to say all is well.. the older she get the longer she’s been going off her food .. today is day 4/5..We have a vet shortage is my area .. that’s why it’s taken til today to get her an appointment! Anyone have any idea why a cat would keep going off her food .. we know she’s not feeling well but for goodness sake there has to be a reason !
Thanks in advance
Nance

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sorry Bella's not eating, and needs to see the vet. Since the anti nausea shot usually gets her to start eating again, and nothing shows up on blood work or x-rays, it might just be she gets tummy trouble every so often. That used to happen to my Ruby, and same thing a Cerenia shot would get her eating again. Ruby, however, had other symptoms of IBD so I always thought the nausea might be related.

TCS has a couple articles which I'll post the links to, however, after 4 or 5 days, I'm glad you're getting Bella in to see a vet, as cats really can't go too long without eating. Please let us know how it goes.

Why Has My Cat Stopped Eating And Is It Dangerous? [Answered] - TheCatSite
How To Get Your Cat To Start Eating Again - TheCatSite

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Nancy55

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Back from the vets …this time they gave her mirataz ointment behind her ear .. that’s new to me .. As well as an emavert injection and fluids and said if she doesn’t improve bring her back Monday ..oh and 3 cans of food that cost almost $30 ..I sure would like to know the cause but as a long time pet owner .. sometimes we don’t always find that answer
🫤…
Nance

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Mirataz applied to the ear is very popular now. You do have to keep the ear pinna clean or the buildup will prevent absorption. I have had this work very effectively on one of my cats. Let us know how she responds.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Back from the vets …this time they gave her mirataz ointment behind her ear .. that’s new to me .. As well as an emavert injection and fluids and said if she doesn’t improve bring her back Monday ..oh and 3 cans of food that cost almost $30 ..I sure would like to know the cause but as a long time pet owner .. sometimes we don’t always find that answer
🫤…
Nance
So many things can cause cats to stop eating, it's hard sometimes to pinpoint the cause. Fingers crossed Bella starts eating soon. Sending healing vibes her way. :vibes::vibes::vibes::lovecat:

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, that Mirataz doesn't actually go behind the ear, it goes on the ear flap (basically the inside of the ear where there is no fur). I use it on one of my guys who is just so darned picky that sometimes he digs his heels in and says "nope, don't like this". I alternate ears because sometimes if I use it too often it will cause the fur to thin on the outer ear. But it works well.

I don't know what food they gave you, but was going to suggest that you try some different foods from the norm. Sometimes cats just want a change, like people. One of mine actually prefers something different at every meal, while the other likes the same thing until he gets sick of it, then goes on to another food and that's all he'll eat for a few months. Your girl may just need a change

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Nancy55

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
UPDATE…We had to rush Bella to the emergency vet almost 2 hrs from home unfortunately… she crashed badly … they are running several tests now … doesn’t look good tho .. We are devastated to say the least !
Nance