Bella had three babies!

Rebeccagiardina

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi guys!

I joined the site just a few days ago to get ready for our cat’s accidental litter! (Found out she was pregnant the same week we scheduled her spaying, so obviously postponed that!)

I would just like to say, every cat labor IS different! Bella had no signs, no discharge, was as quiet as ever and never stopped eating. She didn’t even nest, even though I made multiple boxes around the house.
Last night at 8.30pm my 7 (today she is 8!) year old daughter ran down stairs yelling ‘babies!’ - apparently Bella walked into her room, sat on her clothes and silently popped out kitten 1. She did amazing. We eat with her and at 9.01 kitten 2 came out, followed by kitten 3 at 9.08 as she was cleaning the second kitten! She was so natural! Bella is just shy of being 10 months old so we were nervous. The dad cat lives here also (he is already neutered now!) and was laying with Bella, holding her paws and cleaning her between the kittens, and was sitting with the babies while mama ate some food!

Now my question is, aftercare! What is normal, when do we see the vet and anything I need to know?
The litter box is still clean and unused since last night, is this normal? I did clean the tray after delivery and it was filled, so I assume she cleared out.
Can dad cat stay with them? I did keep him out their room last night just to be safe but wasn’t sure.

Thank you for reading!

Attachments

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Adorable, and they will just get more so.

I hope you consider keeping the little family. There is nothing more adorable, more inspiring than watching a mother cat care for her kittens for their entire lives. The bonds are unbelievable. When they are grown and bigger than she is, she will still turn into she-fury to protect them. Then minutes later the entire bunch will curl up on your lap. If you don't have a sofa, you might want to get one.

Tatiana coleman

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I dont know the answer to your question, but my Pepper is due within the week so I’ll be watching your thread for info! The pic of the
daddy and mommy cat is awesome! What a cool thing to see!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww! So cute!

It looks like #1 is a torbie like mom (orange patches on tabby), is #2 also torbie? Kind of looks like it to me but the pic is at a different angle so I'm not sure. #3 looks like a blue tabby like dad (is he blue or is that just the lighting?).

If the daddy cat is good friends with the mama cat, and has been gentle with the kittens while supervised, it's probably safe to let him have free access to them, but it also wouldn't hurt to separate him at night for the first week or two just to be extra safe, unless that upsets the mother.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Mom will use the box when she needs to. My cat did not go for about 12 hours after delivering.

I kept my entire cat family too. The mom was a pregnant stray I took in who had 4 healthy babies. It’s six years later and all five are wonderful.

You’ll take mom and babies to the vet at 8 weeks - mom for her spay and babies for first vaccines.

Lovely kittens! So good to hear all went well. :lovecat2:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Rebeccagiardina

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just a follow up question. I’ve noticed today that Bella keeps moving the same kitten to behind her, but still against her on her back. Is this cause for concern?
I will put it back in front of her with the other two but she keeps placing it behind her. This cat is fairly vocal compared to the others and will whine when I move it back to her, and Bella will pull it against her for a few moments before repeating the cycle.

Rebeccagiardina

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oops and just to add - her ‘nest’ is in the open as she gave birth in the middle of the room. Should I move her box into the walk in closet? Could this be why? Or could it be that she’s trying to feed the others but the other kitty is causing mayhem?
the kitten does not appear weak or sick, and she keeps it in the box.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, put her box in the walk-in closet with the door ajar so mom can come and go. That way she has privacy. I’m not sure what mom is doing by putting that kitten behind her, but it needs to be able to nurse regularly. Just keep a close eye on that situation. 😊

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is that kitten gaining weight? Sometimes mom cats will move off the sick kittens just to let them die unfortunately. Not lethargic or if you can listen to the chest any crackly sounds?

Rebeccagiardina

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Good morning!
The kittens are 5 days old!
Stats where: #1 105g #2 99g #3 106g. 24hr old we went to 116g, 107g and 117g. 48hrs was 122g, 115g 129g. Next weight was 129g, 140g and 137g BUT yesterday and today, kitten 1 is at 124g. Kittens 2 and 3 are at 180g! So it seems kitty 1 either stopped latching or is just not getting enough. Bella has not pushed any kittens aside and cares for them all equally, so I don’t think it is sick. I’m concerned for this weight drop and now stall. This morning I tried helping number 1, bella rolled over and was letting me do this without issue, but I couldn’t get it to latch. Any suggestions?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It seems the kitten is on a plateau, which is unusual for this age, but is possible as she is already over 4 ounces, which is the appropriate weight for a one-week-old. Are the other kittens males? Females tend to be smaller than males in general.

Watch her carefully today to see if she latches. Weigh her again in 12 hours. If she is losing weight you’ll need to begin supplementing with kitten formula and a syringe. Hopefully it’s a minor plateau and nothing more serious. Do keep us posted!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If she’s latching but not gaining, then she is not getting milk or enough milk from that nipple. Go ahead and see how much the kitten will take. Start with 1-2mLs. She must be hungry! Feed every 2 hours today.

Rebeccagiardina

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all.
Kitten number 1 dropped A LOT of weight, she was pretty much back at birth weight. I spent yesterday feeding her every 2 hours and by this morning, she is back at her original highest weight. I did notice kitten number 3 dropped 4g, since yesterday but I didn't weigh at the same time. Is it typical to fluctuate between morning and night?
At this time, I am using a miracle nipple for just kitten #1, and then immediately placing her with mom, who will stimulate her and cuddle with the babies. I did notice kitten 1 was rooting for her nipple but still wasn't successful, do I just keep monitoring this and guiding her to mom?

I am sorry for so many questions, I am trying to gain as much knowledge as I can to keep mama and babies healthy and thriving.
I also noticed the corners of the kitten's eyes were opening ever so slightly! Today we are 1 week old!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I would continue supplementing Kitten 1 daily, and would also supplement any other kitten who loses weight. It seems mom’s milk supply may be inadequate.

Rebeccagiardina

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all!
Bella had her three kittens on June 22nd and some will remember we ended up syringe feeding the smallest due to weight loss. Her name was Alice and we fed her around the clock. She was very playful and when we had to travel out of state we had a rescue take over her care. Sadly, Alice’s kidneys were bad and she was rushed to a very, and after rapid weight loss, we came home early but we’re a day too late and Alice passed. We buried her at home and will be getting her paw prints on the mantle with our former dog.

That said, the other kittens are great, however, one kitten is TINY. They are both on solid food and still nursing (will be 6 weeksTuesday) the small kitten is only 312g and visible about half the size of the other kitten. She is very playful!
Neither kitten will use a litter tray. I have kitten attract powder and the adult cats keep using the small tray but the kittens will go elsewhere.
Should I be concerned about such a small weight? I am making sure wet food and KMR are out for them.

I’ve added the last photos of Alice (who was a pro in the litter tray until the last 3 days.)

Attachments

Szczygiel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello all!
Bella had her three kittens on June 22nd and some will remember we ended up syringe feeding the smallest due to weight loss. Her name was Alice and we fed her around the clock. She was very playful and when we had to travel out of state we had a rescue take over her care. Sadly, Alice’s kidneys were bad and she was rushed to a very, and after rapid weight loss, we came home early but we’re a day too late and Alice passed. We buried her at home and will be getting her paw prints on the mantle with our former dog.

That said, the other kittens are great, however, one kitten is TINY. They are both on solid food and still nursing (will be 6 weeksTuesday) the small kitten is only 312g and visible about half the size of the other kitten. She is very playful!
Neither kitten will use a litter tray. I have kitten attract powder and the adult cats keep using the small tray but the kittens will go elsewhere.
Should I be concerned about such a small weight? I am making sure wet food and KMR are out for them.

I’ve added the last photos of Alice (who was a pro in the litter tray until the last 3 days.)
So sorry to hear that I can help

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How much / how often do you actually SEE the tiny kitten eat?

Maybe try a syringe or bottle to get formula into her. Also try Gerber chicken or turkey meat baby food. It’s lots of protein, easy to lap, and easy to digest. Has she even cut her baby teeth?

She sounds normal, but may need supplementing to grow faster. At 312 grams she’s just barely the size of a 3-week old.

I’m so sorry about Alice. RIP :angel: :rbheart:

Do you have an appointment set to spay mom in a couple of weeks?

As far as litter training, I’m not surprised about the tiny kitten, and even the other one needs time and putting in the litter box several times a day, before and after meals. Take a paw and show this kitten how to dig, and put one of its poops in the box and let it smell it.

Keep us posted! R Rebeccagiardina