Being Around A Big Group Of People?

GGG

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hello all,
We're having a family gathering, between 25 to 30 people. Skye is used to be around groups of people but not that big, how can I prevent her from getting stressed out or ease the stress?
As soon as I go to my room (to bed) she goes with me! I have an extra bowl of water in my room for her I'm thinking of having a bowl with some food for her too so if she wants a quiet place she can be there ( she spends most of the night in there) is that a good idea?
Any suggestions will be really appreciated!
Thank you in advance

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Yes, of course you can let her stay in that room as it is her safe room and she'll feel safe in there.

Either you can have a baby gate at the door so that she can see and hear what's going on out here and observe. If at any time she's afraid, she have a safe place to retreat to quickly.

On the other hand, if she can be kept behind closed door without making noise or scratching the door, then it's ok to leave her in a closed room. Just check on her every now and then and talk to her and hug her.
At very most she'll be at the door peering and smelling from the gap beneath the door.

Turn on some classical music for her.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

GGG

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes, of course you can let her stay in that room as it is her safe room and she'll feel safe in there.

Either you can have a baby gate at the door so that she can see and hear what's going on out here and observe. If at any time she's afraid, she have a safe place to retreat to quickly.

On the other hand, if she can be kept behind closed door without making noise or scratching the door, then it's ok to leave her in a closed room. Just check on her every now and then and talk to her and hug her.
At very most she'll be at the door peering and smelling from the gap beneath the door.

Turn on some classical music for her.
Thank you!
Her big litter box is on the main floor in the laundry room, I have an extra one (small one) which she doesn't use, so I'm thinking to put that one in my bathroom ( in my room) just so she has access to a litter box without having to go downstairs if she didn't want too.. my question is, should I just put in my bathroom with clean litter ( same litter she uses every day) or should I put some of the litter from her every day box? Would she figure it out even though it's in a different place and different box?
Can I do things the same day of the party?
Sorry for asking so many questions but I want to keep her as comfortable as I can and give her another option if she doesn't want to go downstairs and be around otheres.
Thank you so much!!
I really appreciate your advice

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
If the party is only for a few hours, I think there should be no problem for your kitty to hold her pee. She could be more stress by the sounds and sights and may not think about peeing.

To be safe, you may leave a litter box in the room with new litter and top up and leave on the surface with her used litter from the other box that she always use. This is just to have a familiar scent.

You may also want to do it days before the party so that she gets use to it and know that she can use the litter box in that room.

As long as she has her toys or blankets and your scents (a piece or two of your clean unwashed garments in the room, she’ll feel safe and she’ll find a safe place to hide in the room if she’s afraid.

GGG

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much! I really appreciate your advice .

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Is she an indoor only cat? Or indoor/outdoor? If indoor only, I would consider keeping her locked in your room during the party. With all those people, there is a chance of her getting startled, and running out the door, and no one noticing.

If she has food, water, litter box and toys, she would be fine for a few hours. And you can always pop in to check on her.

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tom used to be sent to my room. He loves immediate family, but used to abide by Stranger Danger, and get spooked around new people.
Then we were the house that hosted parties for our friends with small apartments, and I found this guy out of my room, perched on the corner of the highest kitchen countertop, in the middle of everyone just hanging out chatting with people I didn't even know and asking if they wanted to touch him.
That was almost 5 years ago.

Tommy doesn't stay in my room now, but Stewart and Yue still do.
But, if there are that many people, there are totally valid points here on there being confusion and the cat getting out. Even Tommy with the social skills has given the slip when I'm busy dealing with the fedex guy.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
When there is a large group, with lots of coming and going, the least stressful thing for both you and your cat is to shut her in her safe room until guests leave. I have had friendly and unfriendly cats but with lots of people and feet it doesn’t take much for a cat to get freaked out go tearing around looking for a place to hide or even sneak out an open door. And also with a large group you are more likely to have someone who doesn’t like or is allergic to cats and it seems a friendly cat just seems to gravitate to this person.

Lastly having the cat shut away ensures that guest don’t get to see the cat on the countertop washing it’s butt or worse sitting on your lovely dishes or place settings. Cats owners understand but other guests might not.

GGG

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Is she an indoor only cat? Or indoor/outdoor? If indoor only, I would consider keeping her locked in your room during the party. With all those people, there is a chance of her getting startled, and running out the door, and no one noticing.

If she has food, water, litter box and toys, she would be fine for a few hours. And you can always pop in to check on her.
Yes, she is an indoor only.
I'm going to keep her in my room with all her needs and even bringing her big condo and put it by my bedroom window and of course always check on her and spend a few minutes with her too!
Thanks for your advice