behaviour of feral cats that have regular supplies of Nonouvlin

jill powell

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We have a colony of some 60/70 cats and for the last 6 months or so we have been giving them food laced with Nonouvlin. So far so good but now that it is spring they seem to be coming into season and the male cats are chasing them. Is this a normal result and no pregnancies will occur or are we doing something wrong. Really at our wits end with the concern of more kittens.

We live in Bulgaria and it is easy and cheap for the pills but other than that there is no real help for us and just cannot catch or afford to have them spayed

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise

We have a colony of some 60/70 cats and for the last 6 months or so we have been giving them food laced with Nonouvlin. So far so good but now that it is spring they seem to be coming into season and the male cats are chasing them. Is this a normal result and no pregnancies will occur or are we doing something wrong. Really at our wits end with the concern of more kittens.

We live in Bulgaria and it is easy and cheap for the pills but other than that there is no real help for us and just cannot catch or afford to have them spayed
Welcome to TCS!

I think most of our members who care for feral colonies TNR so birth control via medication is seldom discussed here. The same product was sold as FeralStat in the US for several years but I think the company was shut down since. It's not recommended by Alley Cat Allies though I know some places have used it alongside TNR. The idea is to temporarily prevent live births while a colony is gradually being TNR'ed.

To your question, as far as I can tell it's supposed to prevent females from going into heat. Are you sure the dosage wasn't too low? I think Nonouvlin is made in Bulgaria so maybe you can call the manufacturer and consult with them? 

Would love to hear more about what they say and about your efforts in Bulgaria. Again, welcome!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jill powell

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for your interest, I have taken instructions from Birthcontrolforcats.com  who give a very good chart on feeding and amounts of Nonovulin and I have followed this religiously but a lot of the males are chasing the females and some of them are very interested. Any more kittens will drive me insane as so many of them move into our home.

JMJimmy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think the problem with that strategy is that you have no control over who eats & how much.  More aggressive cats will get larger doses and fearful cats may not get enough.  You may not be their only food source so if a cat comes in mostly full it won't get enough medication.  I have no experience with the product but that would be my initial thought of why it may not be working.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jill powell

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thanks I think  you are right will try harder this coming year

tnrmakessense

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your interest, I have taken instructions from Birthcontrolforcats.com who give a very good chart on feeding and amounts of Nonovulin and I have followed this religiously but a lot of the males are chasing the females and some of them are very interested. Any more kittens will drive me insane as so many of them move into our home.
I have used Nonovulin for years outside, and inside with a cat that could not be spayed for health reasons. My experience is that while being dosed the girls won't let the boys near their lady parts. Now if you see the girls go into heat, there's probably something wrong with the dosage, they're not eating enough, or there's some other issue.

Also, I did a lot of research about Feralstat before using it, and after it was unavailable. The reason it stopped being distributed is because the veterinarian that filed the paperwork for Feralstat passed away. The cost to re-file was prohibitive.

Gerard Keck of the National Committee of Veterinary Pharmacovigilance filed a study in French in 2003 that stated " “The analysis of short and medium-term megestrol acetate (MA) use included more than 700,000 cats and found that incidence of MA risk occurred in two cats out of 100,000 felines. Regarding both cats and dogs, the study analyzed medical reports, going back to 1994, which rendered .074 cases of adverse reactions per 100,000 MA tablets administered."

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I have nothing to add except to thank you for taking care of 70 cats.