Behavioral or Medical issue- Cat peeing in dog food bowls?

sersee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat is going to the vet tomorrow, but I was just curious what everyone thought.  My husband saw my cat squatting in the dog's food bowl. They are on the ground but are large. My husband shooed him away but mentioned to me. I said that I really didn't think the cat was going to go in the bowl.  A few days later I noticed it was wet and thought someone had spilled something . I went to wash it out and realized it was cat urine.

My kids tend to feed the dogs and don't put the bowls away after eating. They were out the other night and I walked into the kitchen and caught my cat going in the bowl.  I had just cleaned the litter that morning so know it wasn't overfilling.   I left out the bowls for fear if he didn't have the bowls to go in anymore, he might find someplace else(like my carpet). The next morning both bowls had urine in them.

I don't know what is normal for cat urine. I know for people it should be clear.. My cat's is quite dark. There doesn't seem to be a lot(although I wouldn't now how much cats go). 

The only other place we have found him to be going is in our basement . We have a bench that opens into a toy box. We were cleaning up the basement last week and noticed dried urine on the toy box. My husband used Clorox wipes and cleaned it up.  We found it a couple more times due to the door being left open ....so we kept after the kids to make sure it is closed and now he is going in the bowls. At least he is going on hard surfaces and not my carpet.

I left the bowls out on purpose yesterday to kind of gauge how much he is going.   He went in both bowls and then I cleaned them. I found later he went in both bowls again. So that would be four times he had gone yesterday. He is also still going into the litter room(although I don't know if he is going or not).  My husband wanted to put the bowls away...and he seems to be wandering around alot today. He keeps going over where the bowls were . He keeps heading in and out of the laundry room..

Does this seem more medical then behavioral?  Could it just mean a uti or something? 

Thanks for the input.

ziggy'smom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It could be behavioral that has turned into a habit. The bowls, even if washed, will smell like pee to him and most likely the area there does too because some urine will probably splash onto the floor and wall. I would recommend that you thoroughly wash the area with Nature's Miracle (can be bought at Petco and Petsmart) which has enzymes that breaks down the urine. Even if it looks clean to you there is still some left that your cat can smell so you have to use something that can break down cat urine. Remember that cat urine is used to mark territory so it's meant to withstand the elements so other cats can smell it long after a cat has put his scent there. Also clean the toy box and the bowls with Nature's Miracle or get new ones.

Part of the problem could be that he doesn't like his litterbox or the location of it. Is it scooped every day? If not, it should be. Is it maybe too far out of the way or in a too high traffic area? I would take another look at the location of the box and maybe add another one near the dog bowls. What kind of litter are you using? Some cats really don't like scented litter or are very picky if there is any urine or feces left in the box. Maybe changing to a non-scented hard clumping litter would be a good idea. With a good clumping litter it's easier to remove all waste from the box. The box should also be cleaned with something like Nature's Miracle monthly.

It's not impossible that he has UTI but you will know that tomorrow when you go to the vet.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

sersee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
There isn't enough urine to be splashing onto the floors.  I will try the Nature's Miracle (I have some of that) . I thought that washing the bowls in the dishwasher would be enough. I didn't realize it would still be smelling. 

The thing is...there is nothing different. His litter has been in the same place for the past three years.   I don't understand after three years of the same thing, same spot..why he would all of a sudden have an issue? I haven't changed litter. It is  a clumping litter.  I have scooped the litter every other day for the past three years...but started doing it everyday since I have noticed the problem.  Weirdly, the urine doesn't smell like stinky cat urine. That is why I didn't even notice it at first..Maybe it is because it is a hard surface though. 

If it's behavioral ..I am going to have to figure it out. I can't put a litter box in the middle of the kitchen where the dog bowls are. The litter box is just off the kitchen in the laundry room.

How often do cat's urinate(normally) /

?

speakhandsforme

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
To answer the last question in your first post, absolutely. Anytime your cat starts peeing outside the litterbox, you need to take him to the vet. The #1 cause of inappropriate urinating is a urinary tract infection. In males, this is especially dangerous if left untreated, because it can cause a urethral blockage. The cat associates the litterbox with the pain of urination, so he avoids it and goes somewhere else.

Take your baby to the vet ASAP, and see what he says. My guess is he has a UTI, with or without crystals in his urine. The UTI itself is easy to treat; if he has crystals, come back here and we'll give you advice on that too. :nod:

Even after he's been treated, I'd recommend you get new dog bowls. Easier than trying to clean the old ones.

If it's behavioral and not medical, we can help with that too. But take him to the vet first.

Good luck!! :vibes:

just mike

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is possible it is behavioral but when a cat begins to eliminate outside of the litter box for no known reason; My first reaction would be to think it is a UTI.  You indicated you are going to the vet so you will be able to determine if that is the issue.  If no physical reason exists, the it is probably behavioral.  You can also ask your vet for advice if this is the case.  It is possible something you may not even be aware of has changed.  Either way, get rid of the dog bowls and go to stainless bowls if you can afford them.  If not, at least try to get ceramic.  You didn't say what kind of bowls you used so you may already be doing this.  Clean the area thoroughly with an organic cleaner.  You indicated you already do this so it should help if you get the bowls out of the way.  You can also pick up the bowls as soon as the dogs have finished eating.  This may help break the cycle he's become accustomed to if it is behavioral. Good luck !!!

sersee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well here is the update.... He has a bladder stone. They did a quick ultrasound and tested his urine.  They said he has to have surgery to remove it and then be put on some type of royal canin food forever. It keeps his urine ph level stable. Wish I would have known that before! Haha. 

So anyone with experience in this area? Of course I am going to help him...but the cost is 800-1000 dollars. Whoa.  So any insight would be great.. Does this seem reasonable?  I asked about if it would dissolve or pass but the doctor said it has to be removed surgically. They scheduled me and whisked me out. I didn't even get to see the ultrasound(which  maybe routine) . I  just felt a little overwhelmed and financially that is a killer.

Thanks for all your input and advice

sersee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh I also forgot to add that they put him on Clavomox . His surgery would be for Wednesday..I think the clav was for infection?  Do you guys have any tricks to get a pill in a kitty? I have never had to do it before. I have for my lab..but that was easy since he will eat anything.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Here is a thread that has lots of ideas on how to hide pills for cats. http://www.thecatsite.com/t/237863/ideas-for-hiding-pills I am using one of those tricks now, and it's working great. 

But just to let you know, lots of cats get nauseous on clavamox, so he may not feel like eating anything, which will make it even harder to get those darned pills in.  As far as the bladder stones and other peoples' experience with them, you might need to start up a new thread with that in the title in order to get some replies to that specifically.

Good luck with your little guy.  Let us know how the surgery goes. 

sersee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks!! I will check out the link and start a new thread ...

taekwondomomma

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a male cat that prefers peeing in the dog's dish, too!  He refused to use the two other litter boxes in the house (even when all the other kittens were learning to go in the boxes).  He is not quite a year old now, and we still catch him peeing in the dog's bowl.  We did change his litter to a clumping litter and we have been better at cleaning the box every day or even twice a day.  It doesn't matter, he still likes the dog's food dish.  I'm just as frustrated!!!  WEIRD CATS!!!

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I have a male cat that prefers peeing in the dog's dish, too!  He refused to use the two other litter boxes in the house (even when all the other kittens were learning to go in the boxes).  He is not quite a year old now, and we still catch him peeing in the dog's bowl.  We did change his litter to a clumping litter and we have been better at cleaning the box every day or even twice a day.  It doesn't matter, he still likes the dog's food dish.  I'm just as frustrated!!!  WEIRD CATS!!!
This is a very old post. I don't know if the original poster is still around or not. I think your best bet would be taking him to the Vet to see if he might have a urinary tract infection. Also is he neutered?