Behavioral issue?

jisaacson214

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I recently had some major changes in my life & I’m worried it’s negatively impacted one of my cats. A little background: Grembly came into my life when she was 4 months old. From the very beginning, she was always wanting to be with me. She’d follow me all over the apartment, wanting to be involved in whatever I was doing & LOVED to cuddle. Total Velcro cat. The job I had at the time allowed for me to work from home 3 out of 5 days a week & the 2 days I was in-office were shorter days. Then when COVID hit, I worked from home 5 days a wk. In December 2020, I lost my job due to COVID cuts, so I was home all the time. In June I accepted a position that required me to relocate. It was only an hour & a half drive thankfully. Ever since the move, Grembly‘s behavior has changed. She is now OBSESSED with food. I have an automatic feeder where you can program it to dispense food at certain times in certain amounts. I did NOT change the food schedule at all prior to/following the move. Instead of cuddling with me on the couch, Grembly will perch herself on top of the feeder. She will try to rock it back & forth until it tips over hoping food will come out. I’ve walked in on her with her arm shoulder-deep in the dispenser hole trying to pull out food. It’s like she can’t relax & cuddle anymore! She’s too preoccupied with food. Another thing to mention is the new job I took is M-F 9AM-5PM all in-office. My gut says she’s not sick & this is more behavioral related, but we’ve got an appt to meet the new vet on Saturday to discuss further. My other cat Ember is doing well & isn‘t displaying any food-seeking behavior. Could this be a coping mechanism to help with the adjustment to all the change?

KelseyKatz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm thinking this is her way of comforting herself. Like us humans, some of us tend to turn to food when stressed. It has only been a month. Some cats can take months to relax. I would recommend getting a pheromone plug-in in each room. Maybe a calming chew if that alone doesn't work. Lots of love, praise and playtime. Make the new environment fun! Maybe add another tree or perch for the window sill? Hope you comes around to the new place and schedule soon!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
She's had some really major changes in the last few months, with the move and your new schedule. Talk with your vet about this. If all else fails, see how she does with chamomile tea as a calmative. Buy commercial tea bags at the grocery store, plain chamomile, no blends. Brew a cup and chill it in the fridge. When cold, administer 1-3 teaspoonfuls (1-3 tablespoonfuls for cats 11 pounds and over) up to three times a day via syringe or medicine dropper. I like this, because it calms without sedating. No goofy, drunk cats wobbling around in danger of hurting themselves. OH, and you can drink a cup of it hot (sweeten with honey, NOT sugar) when she has hers. You'll both feel better.

I recommend the commercially prepared bags because they are all 100% German chamomile (variety...nothing to do with where grown). German chamomile is medicinally active and safe for cats at proper dosages. The English variety, which grows in a lot of gardens, is NEITHER.