Behavior Problems That Could Be A Deal Breaker!

Donna12054

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Last fall I took in a starving young cat (1 to 1 1/2 years old) from a hoarder home. Th home had about 30 cats, kittens Chihuahua and puppies. (There was even a large rooster sitting on the countertop) Needless to say she didn't have a clue what a litter box was for.
With a lot of work I got her to use the box regularly. About this time I memembered how much I hate cleaning the box so I got a self cleaning one. I set her in it without it being plugged in but she freaked out and bolted out of it. About this time she figured out the dog door and has been going outside to potty. Tho I have found some poop near her box when the weather is nasty and rainy. I replaced the new box with her old one but she won't use it.

The second major problem.....I'm disable and on oxygen 24/7. She has been biting so many holes in my oxygen tubing that even using duct tape over it can't seal it all and have to be replaced every two-three days. I have tried using bitter apple but it doesn't seem to bother her.
I love the little stinker and don't want to give her up but I can't live without my oxygen! Please if anyone has any ideas let me know!

Attachments

elliesvictim

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Redirection and reaction.
If you see her chewing on it or going near it redirect her with a toy or treat.
If you find it chewed, react, let her know it's not ok.
Example : when my cat went thru a phase of splashing her water bowl EVERYWHERE. When I saw it I gasped and "hammed" up being upset as I cleaned it. She would get upset and "cottoned on" that not doing the behaviour avoided the negative result. Then support that with praise and treats for good behaviour.
Example : my girl would walk her food to the carpet to eat. I reacted when she did it and rewarded her with praise when she ate in the right place.

As for the litter box try soil/dirt. It draws them there naturally. Then gradually replace it with kitty litter. If the ask cleaning scares her give it a miss.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It might be a little odd in appearance, but you might try wrapping your oxygen tube in tin foil. Most cats won't want to bite into metallic aluminum.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It might be a little odd in appearance, but you might try wrapping your oxygen tube in tin foil. Most cats won't want to bite into metallic aluminum.
That might work (although I have one who chews on foil. Sets my teeth on edge just hearing it!). Another thing that might work is taking some of the airline and splitting it up the side and taping that over the actual line. It doesn't stop the chewing but it gives it an extra layer that's harder to chew through and can be replaced often. That's what I did when I had airline running for an aquarium. She might grow out of the chewing so at least that shouldn't be forever! Although some kitties are chewers for their entire lives :/.

For the litterbox issue, try some Cat Attract litter. You can get it at Petsmart or online (www.chewy.com has free shipping if it's over $50). You also might consider moving it somewhere else; that location might be "tainted" in her mind because she was scared of the automatic box.