Behavior of cats outdoors?

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
2 strays showed up last month. I posted about it already in that forum. But curious if anyone has any advice on how cats think. My dh doesn't think they think like we do. Sadly the morning after I brought in the younger cat. A week after I was feeding the 2 outside. The older cat didn't come home. He was found dead by our mailbox. I was out all morning looking for him. I feel do bad that he may have been out looking for the younger cat and didn't come for breakfast because he knew they always ate together. I dont want to make the same mistake again. I had tried to give them some extra food st midnight. The little girl was there. The boy was not. So I took her in and spent all night watching for him to come back and I never saw him again. At 7:30am a cat walked across our yard. At 9:30am big kitty was dead 😭

Catwoman1985

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Feral cats are like people who were in bad relationships and someone comes in there life to love them but they wanna run for the hills takes a lot of time I mean a lot of time and attention and food to gain their trust eventually one day you will be sitting on your porch your stray will come along and just plop on your lap out of no where the way to a cats heart is thru food they don’t wanna be touched until they want to and when they decide to come into your house there becomes a toxic love where if they want something and you can’t read their mind they knock off everything on your tables 1 by one while looking you in your eyes as your glass cup falls to the ground you may even ask your her what do you want she will look at you and continue to knock everything over and when everything is on the floor she then will go to the door and stand there and look at you with disapproving eyes because the door is shut and expect you to know she wanted out of the room the whole entire time and that she really don’t like closed doors she won’t probably like you bringing home another feline because she tolerates you but don’t want anyone else to have you she will always be scared or skiddish around other humans but you will be different you will always be the person who took her in and gave her a safe place to be and she no longer in these streets trying to hustle for that trash food and food that someone might have left out

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't be so sad, you made their life so much easier and happier with the attention and food you provided for them. Cats living outside are exposed to all kinds of dangers, from dogs to cars to poisons and disease Of course they don't think like us, they are animals. Their thought processes are very different than ours, they live in the immediate present and survive mostly by instinct. They learn through repetition, so feeding them at the same time and regularly will cause them to remember the place and time. They absolutely hate change.
I'm so sorry this happened, try to concentrate on the good you did by making his last days enjoyable. He thanks you and you will be blessed for your kindness......

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Feral cats are like people who were in bad relationships and someone comes in there life to love them but they wanna run for the hills takes a lot of time I mean a lot of time and attention and food to gain their trust eventually one day you will be sitting on your porch your stray will come along and just plop on your lap out of no where the way to a cats heart is thru food they don’t wanna be touched until they want to and when they decide to come into your house there becomes a toxic love where if they want something and you can’t read their mind they knock off everything on your tables 1 by one while looking you in your eyes as your glass cup falls to the ground you may even ask your her what do you want she will look at you and continue to knock everything over and when everything is on the floor she then will go to the door and stand there and look at you with disapproving eyes because the door is shut and expect you to know she wanted out of the room the whole entire time and that she really don’t like closed doors she won’t probably like you bringing home another feline because she tolerates you but don’t want anyone else to have you she will always be scared or skiddish around other humans but you will be different you will always be the person who took her in and gave her a safe place to be and she no longer in these streets trying to hustle for that trash food and food that someone might have left out
They weren't feral

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Don't be so sad, you made their life so much easier and happier with the attention and food you provided for them. Cats living outside are exposed to all kinds of dangers, from dogs to cars to poisons and disease Of course they don't think like us, they are animals. Their thought processes are very different than ours, they live in the immediate present and survive mostly by instinct. They learn through repetition, so feeding them at the same time and regularly will cause them to remember the place and time. They absolutely hate change.
I'm so sorry this happened, try to concentrate on the good you did by making his last days enjoyable. He thanks you and you will be blessed for your kindness......
Thats the problem. I wasn't feeding at the same time everyday and taking away the other cat probably caused him concern and seeing she was not there at breakfast he went or didn't come either

Catwoman1985

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They weren't feral
Well cats who are outside tend to have a group of cats all staying in a group but have one what they say queen and usually they are all what you would say littermates could be all brothers and sisters or mother ect but it is not uncommon for some to not be littermates if they do decide to let a cat come into their group you will always see those not related hanging back until the queen and group completely trust these cats see cats that are feral do not live in groups in the wild this is a trait they have adapted to due to humans feeding them with out human interaction any house cat would be a distant and solo territorial cats they would meet up to mate when in heat have a litter and when they were old enough the mom would push her litter out of her territory and the cycle repeats

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well cats who are outside tend to have a group of cats all staying in a group but have one what they say queen and usually they are all what you would say littermates could be all brothers and sisters or mother ect but it is not uncommon for some to not be littermates if they do decide to let a cat come into their group you will always see those not related hanging back until the queen and group completely trust these cats see cats that are feral do not live in groups in the wild this is a trait they have adapted to due to humans feeding them with out human interaction any house cat would be a distant and solo territorial cats they would meet up to mate when in heat have a litter and when they were old enough the mom would push her litter out of her territory and the cycle repeats
I believe they were dropped off. So originally home cats. They were just so friendly and clean. Sadly not chipped or fixed. We were doing good all week. But had fed them early on Sunday night about 5:30 and felt bad they would still be hungry and really didn't want to be up so early to feed them at 5:30am. So I made a plate of food for them about midnight. I was shocked they were not in their boxes. As they usually were when dh go home during the week at 1 or 2am. The girl cat came running. But the boy cat didn't. I dont even remember how long I waited before taking her in, in a carrier. I watched all night assuming he would come back. I fell asleep after awhile. He was not back at 5:30am. There was a racoon in the yard. But no cat. I looked around calling him. I feel bad i didn't think to take out some tuna or stinky cat food. Maybe he would have come to me. I had to fix my cats food at 7:30 and think it was him who went across the yard. I had to go shower and at 9:30am dh found him dead on the side of the road. Just a foot or two from our yard. 😭 I don't know if i did a good thing. I mean the little girl could have been killed too. But I'm not sure he would have left her so long. Had she been outside still. Im just heartbroken over his death. They wanted in so badly. I didn't have a safe place they could stay 24/7. Im just sick that my actions could have actually caused him to not come back and stay in the yard.

Catwoman1985

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It could be the people who hit the kitten stopped after seeing them and they picked up what kittens they seen and brought them home

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It could be the people who hit the kitten stopped after seeing them and they picked up what kittens they seen and brought them home
There was only one cat hit. The big one. I had taken the small cat in about midnight. I watched all night/morning. But never found the boy until it was to late.