Behavior issue with cats

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Notenchnana

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think if the white cat is okay to be with her brother, that she is the one needing to be in the room by herself for a bit.

She needs to fully calm down.

If you go to the vet today, please keep her in the room on her own for 2 hours before she sees the other two.
The cats only recommendation is to go back to square one and start re-introducing them again over this time take it much much longer instead of two weeks. We’re looking at 2 to 3 months either that or start looking for a shelter again if I can’t take in her words I don’t have the money or the time to dedicate to it.

Notenchnana

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I’m legitimately at a loss. All that work, all that progress, those pictures once again. Lost.. pointless, right back to square number f’ing one.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I’m legitimately at a loss. All that work, all that progress, those pictures once again. Lost.. pointless, right back to square number f’ing one.
I highly disagree with your vet. Dragging it along is not recommended. I feel like dragging it out is making her less uses to the other cat.

The female needs the separation and then once she calms down it might go much better. Even after Nobel attacked me and my late cat Lily, I did a quick introduction in 48 hours after separation for 6 hours.

I am really discouraged that the vet doesn't want to consider anxiety medication or something for her.

You could try a Thunderjacket but I don't know how helpful it is or if she will like it.

If you can call around and see what bloodwork is like at a different clinic (price wise) and save for that, or something. I don't know if there's other vets near you.

Notenchnana

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I highly disagree with your vet. Dragging it along is not recommended. I feel like dragging it out is making her less uses to the other cat.

The female needs the separation and then once she calms down it might go much better. Even after Nobel attacked me and my late cat Lily, I did a quick introduction in 48 hours after separation for 6 hours.

I am really discouraged that the vet doesn't want to consider anxiety medication or something for her.

You could try a Thunderjacket but I don't know how helpful it is or if she will like it.

If you can call around and see what bloodwork is like at a different clinic (price wise) and save for that, or something. I don't know if there's other vets near you.
I have been opening the door to let them in, and she immediately hisses at him, which you can tell set him off. The boy doesn’t really hit him or chase him. She’s the one that kind of instigate it, but they’re not chasing each other, just looking at each other and hissing if one gets close, I noticed earlier, I said that he wasn’t hurt, but upon inspecting his ear which is scabbed with dried blood I’m guessing that he got a neck in the air, and when I went downstairs, I noticed that a bunch of things had been knocked over on the table. I have a little table that sits outside two windows which you can see it partially in the pictures And I’m guessing that the fight occurred while they were trying to look out the window. I don’t know if they saw anything. I don’t know if they pissed each other off I don’t know what the details are but I’m guessing from the aftermath that that’s the source of conflict so I’m just gonna frost those windows going forward .

i’m sitting in the room with them right now and they’re all in their together like I’m sitting in the room and watching them they’re not actively chasing him the girl just hisses and sometimes if the white one feels all scared he’ll his first which that’s off the chain reaction, but this is only a couple hours after this happened, so I’m sure they haven’t been isolated for the proper amount of time I’m just trying to see how they are with each other like if it’s blood lust on first sight or if it’s everyone’s just high intention and that’s why a lot of the things happening.

Notenchnana

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

I take that back as I was writing up that message she started hissing and growling at her brother and started getting super vicious yelling again so I don’t know what’s going on. This is far worse than before and there’s no cause that I can identify.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I talked to the vet and they said that there’s nothing more they can do for me. Their practice doesn’t do a medication’s for behavior. I would have to see a behaviorist for that. The closest one is an hour and 30 minutes away will cost $700 for the initial consultation, and other than that find the number for a good rescue and prepared to do when I feared a month ago.
I'm so sorry to hear that you're in a situation where you can't get further vet assistance on this issue.

There's no other vet in the area that perhaps would do behaviour medicine? (Regular vet, not behaviourist?)

When you originally went to the vet they did a full blood panel on the female cat and checked her teeth? It seems unlikely to begin with that it would be fully behaviour based as you were able to make so much progress, unless there's a trigger happening. But you've been very attentive and they even recovered quickly from you making loud sounds, etc.

I'm sorry. I don't know much about where you are and it's harder without being able to see each interaction in person you know? It's a tough decision no matter what you do :(

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I take that back as I was writing up that message she started hissing and growling at her brother and started getting super vicious yelling again so I don’t know what’s going on. This is far worse than before and there’s no cause that I can identify.
My concern is, is that if you rehome the cat she is attacking, her deferred agression will just move on to her sibling cat. Because it's something that's going on with her. So you'll be in the same situation but one cat down.

If it's medical, she's going to turn on someone else eventually if it continues untreated. If it's deffered aggression, you'd have likely seen some kind of behaviour when the other cat was put away towards you or her brother.

(Like if Lily was put away and Nobel was out, we would still hear Nobel growling if Lou, our neighbours cat when by. The agression was still there caused by the trigger, Lily just wasn't available to be beat up on.)

Which, since you didn't see that behaviour, and the vet previously said she was in good health, we went with the assumption that it was a one time trauma causing this.

But you didn't see signs of a pattern of agression. And before you get suggested separation, they even existed well together after the fight. So now I'm thinking, what if it's something that could be missed in a regular check up? I don't know what's included in a regular check up and bloodwork that you did previously but based on what's is included here it could be the following: hyperthyroid, stroke, seizure, Dementia, some infections, some parasites, maybe other things?

I don't know. I don't know where your headspace is at because I know this is so much stress and trauma on you.

Notenchnana

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My concern is, is that if you rehome the cat she is attacking, her deferred agression will just move on to her sibling cat. Because it's something that's going on with her. So you'll be in the same situation but one cat down.

If it's medical, she's going to turn on someone else eventually if it continues untreated. If it's deffered aggression, you'd have likely seen some kind of behaviour when the other cat was put away towards you or her brother.

(Like if Lily was put away and Nobel was out, we would still hear Nobel growling if Lou, our neighbours cat when by. The agression was still there caused by the trigger, Lily just wasn't available to be beat up on.)

Which, since you didn't see that behaviour, and the vet previously said she was in good health, we went with the assumption that it was a one time trauma causing this.

But you didn't see signs of a pattern of agression. And before you get suggested separation, they even existed well together after the fight. So now I'm thinking, what if it's something that could be missed in a regular check up? I don't know what's included in a regular check up and bloodwork that you did previously but based on what's is included here it could be the following: hyperthyroid, stroke, seizure, Dementia, some infections, some parasites, maybe other things?

I don't know. I don't know where your headspace is at because I know this is so much stress and trauma on you.
Well that’s what the vet was getting at that it’s some thing that could’ve been missed during the initial bloodwork and that more extensive bloodwork would need to be done and of course more extensive bloodwork means more hundreds of dollars that I don’t have I don’t know what more to do. My head space is one of the confusion

if there was a trigger, I wasn’t awake to see it and like those pictures I posted they were in exhibiting them otherwise something happened while I was sleeping all I know from some coworkers I was that when I woke up at 4 AM and this it happened. I know there was a wind storm that evening. The patio door of mine was slamming open and shut because of where I live they don’t really upkeep, I know it startled them a couple times while all of us were in the living room but they just got startled that was it didn’t evolve into fighting. It’s possible that when I went to sleep, and the storm got worse that I wanted them got scared and they triggered each other but I don’t know there is absolutely nothing here anymore that has changed and I don’t know what it could be this morning I tried to let them see each other after separating and the girl still hisses, but she’s nowhere near as overly defensive or vocal as she was before she can see him and they can see each other on there don’t really engage in fighting but as you say, it’s hard to really understand unless you see it and the website doesn’t allow me to post videos

Notenchnana

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry to hear that you're in a situation where you can't get further vet assistance on this issue.

There's no other vet in the area that perhaps would do behaviour medicine? (Regular vet, not behaviourist?)

When you originally went to the vet they did a full blood panel on the female cat and checked her teeth? It seems unlikely to begin with that it would be fully behaviour based as you were able to make so much progress, unless there's a trigger happening. But you've been very attentive and they even recovered quickly from you making loud sounds, etc.

I'm sorry. I don't know much about where you are and it's harder without being able to see each interaction in person you know? It's a tough decision no matter what you do :(
I think it’s unlikely all the same I really do think they must’ve been some thing that happened that night because other nights played out exactly as they do and they weren’t promised before problem is I don’t know as I mentioned, I live in townhouse apartments so there’s people on both sides of me and sometimes they bang. Sometimes they get home late. Sometimes the cats respond to things to the walls. I can’t tell you all I know is what’s going on And as I said in my prior post this morning, I let them all eat together and they can eat together. They don’t screw with each other when they’re eating right now the white one is it is roaming the house.
As we speak, the white one was able to rub cheeks with the girl without any hissing or fighting when she stared at him, he got a little scared, and he went on the defensive so again I feel like he’s afraid and last night I let the white one out so they could eat together and for a good five minutes there were no problems and they don’t try to chase him up on site and I’ll try to hurt them. They just Hess. I really don’t know what’s going on. I really do think it was a trigger but I got I don’t know what that triggers.

Notenchnana

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Here is a link to a google drive created just for sharing videos.

these are their interactions since Jan 22 after the separation and reintroduction up until the very night before this incident 5 hours before it happened.

I’ll add as I go

Interactions since Janurary 22 - Google Drive