Behavior issue with cats

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Notenchnana

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That's really good progress. It's hard to see when you're living it every day.

Give it a couple more days of out together. Keep encouraging any positive interactions like nose bopping, sniffing, backing off after a hiss, playing in one another's presence, with words and/or affection. Tell them that you're going to leave the door open in X number of sleeps. Maybe this is placebo because it helps to calm the human but I do think this works.

Enjoy your semi-free time meanwhile. I would hate to see anything go wrong after you've had such successful situations this far, so just focus on setting up for success with overnight enrichment, cat calming music, etc.

Do know if there is a setback, that it's just that, a setback.
So I guess here’s my update; things have been OK. There was a teensy bit of an incident but that was normal? I think.
So we were all on the couch and I was really really happy for once because all of them were cuddling with me like they used to. The boys were laying super close to each, and of course Noel the white one whose been the bullied, decided to mess with his brother mid cuddle, after grooming him for a few minutes. A little fight broke out, but nothing like before just a howl and one ran away, the sister oddly enough in my lap charger her brother and not the white one which was odd.

but it calmed down again a minute later with no signs of tension of aggression, I was leaving anyway so I separated them.
Let them out most of the night together and it was normal; no hissing, lots of sniffing and he’s able to walk past them in confidence.

Attachments

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Honestly, cats are weird. Cheetah decides Omypaw head is dirty, she cleans it and then slaps him and runs off while he either chases or looks stunned. Everything goes back to normal.

I think you are doing great and they are making great progress.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
What a cozy evening ❣ That sounds more like a play and less like agression to me. They're likely just testing the boundaries. Your other female didn't like them testing so she shut it down. And then they settled back in!

Every grooming session in this house ends in a swatting, wrestling play session.

Notenchnana

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What a cozy evening ❣ That sounds more like a play and less like agression to me. They're likely just testing the boundaries. Your other female didn't like them testing so she shut it down. And then they settled back in!

Every grooming session in this house ends in a swatting, wrestling play session.
So here’s another update so far so good I haven’t had any fights breakout. They are eating together every meal they are eating getting treats together they are spending time together when I’m home and only separated when I’m not home or when I’m at work the white one gets really vocal when I separate him so and I don’t know if it was a one off or if he’s trying to tell me, he’s ready to be out, but I’m not comfortable with them being out on no real complaints I haven’t even heard hissing.

they more or less are ok as of this writing. It’s been a few days now where they are out together when I’m home still scared to move on to letting them out at night

Attachments

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Wonderful ❣ oh I'm so happy to see them altogether.
I think they are really ready to be out at night together. But you should take it at your own pace. Perhaps pick a night when you have the next day off as you might stay up a bit later.

Notenchnana

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey so it’s been a while and I guess that’s a good thing and a bad thing so I was pretty discouraged but I started to take away the gates completely and I had continue to separate them at night because I wasn’t comfortable and I must’ve not close the door right which is pretty weird because I tested the door before I went to bed And sure enough I woke up the following morning and I get up getting ready to feed all three of them because then he’s been in the room and I wanna let him out and he standing right in front of me.

I guess I didn’t close the door and he found his way out overnight and that’s how I accidentally let them out together at night . It’s now been almost a week where they are out with each other basically 24 seven if I am home, then they are out together. They are not separated, and I’ve even tried to leave them for about an hour alone and keep an eye on them through my security cameras . I haven’t had any fights break out. I haven’t had any issues so far a knock on wood. they are walking past each other with no problem. They’re play fighting with each other without creating a fight. They are sleeping on the couch together. I didn’t notice that Noel, my white one doesn’t go in his cat tower basically at all anymore if he sleeps, he sleeps on the couch, and the other ones will often sleep with him just like I took those pictures. No I’ll sleep on the couch together And I leave them alone at night without issue I I wake up and sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night and they’re all sleeping in the bed with me and when I go to bed at night they all come up on the bed so he doesn’t really seem super afraid of them anymore. Sometimes he’ll get a little scared there’s like a loud banging or I can’t gets weird, but I’m talking about up to normal behavior

. I still don’t leave them out together if I’m at work, so I’m not out of the woods yet but there’s been progress and I’m definitely feeling better.

Attachments

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Notenchnana Notenchnana the bright side of it being an accident is that you slept relaxed during the first night out!

That's wonderful news. If they're okay being separated while you're at work, then maybe that's all they need.

Thank you for updating and extra thank you for the photos! So cute.

Notenchnana

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Something is wrong.
Something is very wrong.

after a week of being out together all those pictures and things being ok, I went to sleep like a normal night woke up to hissing at night and a chase broke out,

the girl is hissing at ME and extremely hostile towards me, yowling loudly at her brother AND the white one, while they both hiss at the white again. They cannot see and other.Before the black ones would only direct the aggression towards the white one now she is hostile towards me, and him.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Something is wrong.
Something is very wrong.

after a week of being out together all those pictures and things being ok, I went to sleep like a normal night woke up to hissing at night and a chase broke out,

the girl is hissing at ME and extremely hostile towards me, yowling loudly at her brother AND the white one, while they both hiss at the white again. They cannot see and other.Before the black ones would only direct the aggression towards the white one now she is hostile towards me, and him.
She may need a vet visit. There may be something medical going on with her.
She likely needs bloodwork including hyperthyroid.
Nobel's mum started attacking Nobel's sister, and my mum's cat when her hyperthyroid started

If there's nothing medical going on, I think she might need some anxiety medication for a little while. There might be something outside that she can see that's working her up, like deffered agression. Usually I can do a speed round of quiet and separation for a few hours and back to normal.

Notenchnana

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I can’t afford a vet visit right now I can’t afford the 400 $500. They charge me to do a work up in an examination I’m barely getting by as it is I thought this was close to being over for over a month we didn’t have any problems and now all of a sudden just like it came. It’s right back to square one that really is this time.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I can’t afford a vet visit right now I can’t afford the 400 $500. They charge me to do a work up in an examination I’m barely getting by as it is I thought this was close to being over for over a month we didn’t have any problems and now all of a sudden just like it came. It’s right back to square one that really is this time.
Yes if she is yowling, it's serious. And I have concerns if she is hostile towards you. When Nobel had deffered agression from my neighbours letting their cat in my yard, I ended up in emergency with a serious infection from cat scratches (I'm autoimmune so it happens easier but still). He only attacked me once but be cautious.

I have just separated until that cat calms down and proceeded forward. We still had an episode this past summer and I had to shut him away in one room, Magnus in another and Calcifer free. After 4 hours I did some treats and supervision for them to be released. Something similar is what you could consider, but you'll have to trust your instincts about how calm she becomes.

Notenchnana

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes if she is yowling, it's serious. And I have concerns if she is hostile towards you. When Nobel had deffered agression from my neighbours letting their cat in my yard, I ended up in emergency with a serious infection from cat scratches (I'm autoimmune so it happens easier but still). He only attacked me once but be cautious.

I have just separated until that cat calms down and proceeded forward. We still had an episode this past summer and I had to shut him away in one room, Magnus in another and Calcifer free. After 4 hours I did some treats and supervision for them to be released. Something similar is what you could consider, but you'll have to trust your instincts about how calm she becomes.
She’s calm down she’s not aggressive towards me at all anymore it took her a couple minutes. She’s not a really aggressive her brother. If she sees the white one, she gets aggressive towards everybody, me and him but other than that after she calms down, she goes back to her playful self. I resumed what I was doing before by putting the white one in his room with his litter box, food, and water And let him stay in there till he comes down a thing is 10 minutes after I put him in there he’s meowing to get out as if there’s no problem but then when I open the door and they see each other they both start hissing and she starts hissing at everybody, including me I don’t know what could’ve caused this deferred aggression because as I said, and I’ve been showing in the pictures for over a week now they’ve been together sleeping together, eating together playing together. I know there’s a neighbor that has three stray cats that she lets out but they’ve never caused a problem before .

The vets not open till nine I’ll see if they’ll work with me. I just tried to feed them together on the opposite sides of a door with a cracked open and while the two boys can eat, I’ll see each other the girl just walked away from her food completely.

Notenchnana

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
OK she’s definitely stressed because the white one has been in the room now and it’s her and her brother and she went from rolling around on the bed her brother scared her by jumping up and she hissed and yelled. Adam took her a few seconds to register who it was and then she went about her business, so she clearly has an issue.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
OK she’s definitely stressed because the white one has been in the room now and it’s her and her brother and she went from rolling around on the bed her brother scared her by jumping up and she hissed and yelled. Adam took her a few seconds to register who it was and then she went about her business, so she clearly has an issue.
I think if the white cat is okay to be with her brother, that she is the one needing to be in the room by herself for a bit.

She needs to fully calm down.

If you go to the vet today, please keep her in the room on her own for 2 hours before she sees the other two.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Why it needs to be her alone, is also to begin to teach her to take the time to chill out when stressed.

Notenchnana

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I talked to the vet and they said that there’s nothing more they can do for me. Their practice doesn’t do a medication’s for behavior. I would have to see a behaviorist for that. The closest one is an hour and 30 minutes away will cost $700 for the initial consultation, and other than that find the number for a good rescue and prepared to do when I feared a month ago.

Notenchnana

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Why it needs to be her alone, is also to begin to teach her to take the time to chill out when stressed.
I tried, and the brothers OK with him for a little while she starts crying. Her brother gets stressed out and then they start hissing at each other so no matter what she starts it