Behavior change after neutering

BeaG

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've had my kitten neutered 3 weeks ago - he was exactly 6 months at the time. Before he would sit on my lap, generally be quite cuddly. Now he will not sit on the lap at all, avoids my husband even more then before, lets me pet him - a bit, when he feels like it :). He still comes for cuddles in the morning in bed but that's it. He will lay on my chest, if I try to move him before he is ready to go, he will try to bite (just a gentle nibble). He normally stays for about 10-15 min, has his portion of cuddles and then goes away.
He is actually more playful. I don't know if this simply because of his age or is it something to do with him being neutered. He is half Maine Coon and half British Shorthair. I know that he is still a kitten so his energy levels will change but thought will ask what you think?

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
It just sounds like he's really stepping into his teenage 'years' :> He'll be testing boundaries, and exploring his own independence as he grows. I'm sure he'll become more affectionate again as his kittenhood energy levels start to peter out. Given he's half MC, he might end up mentally maturing more slowly than you'd expect, so you could well have kitten levels of energy in hand until he's well over a year old. Jum only started calming down when she was close to hitting the 2 year mark, though she still has a huge amount of energy -- she's just more selective on where she uses it.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Using my handy-dandy "cat to human years age converter," your boy is about 7.5 human years old. Now, if you have lived with human boys of that age, you'll know that they are NOT overly interesting in hanging out on Mom's lap. No, they are interested in getting into any and everything that presents itself and holds still long enough...and if interesting enough, they are happy to chase it down to get into it! He'll be pretty much full-grown, physically, at a year, but still very much a kitten (AND A TEENAGER) until he hits around two years old. Then, you'll probably be getting more lap-time!