Behavior After Pu Surgery

snsaundersva

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My baby boy just went through PU Surgery 2.5 weeks ago and is recovering pretty well. He was secluded for most of his post surgery time, with incontinence starting on day 13. The doctor said it could just be irritation from the sutures that were still in. On day 14 he got the sutures taken out, and had more incontinence issues that day (to be expected) and the day after. Its been 3 days since he had the stitches taken out and we have decided to let him out the 'prison' to acquaint himself with the house again, as well as his 2 sisters. (They seem to have mixed emotions about him now :) )

I find myself stalking him through the house all day, watching his every move, and trying to make sure he isn't alone or somewhere that we can't see him, for fear of finding a wet spot or puddle somewhere. My question is, how long do I need to do this? So far I can only see one possible "accident", which may have just be his wet bottom sitting down somewhere, but I don't know. Hes been going in the box, more often of course, but I get nervous whenever I see his tail spasm a bit. When he was still confined, his tail shaking was a sign he was getting ready to leak. Anyone have any advice? The doc said he should be fine, there was no signs of infection, so there is no UTI or anything. I just feel bad and weird stalking my cat around the house.

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tail shaking in Tom has always been a sign that he's aiming to hose something down. He did it a ton when he had learned to spray from my other cat. He goes in the box and stiffens up his tail into a little shimmy and pees right onto the back wall of the box like a garden hose. We never had any unwanted toilet habits after his PU. I'm very fortunate he's been pretty well back to normal. His first two weeks he was only urinating in the box once per day. And, every since his surgery, really weird, but now he covers his pee in the box when he's done. I don't know how his surgeon injected him with Manners, but now he always covers up.

Tdizz11

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I’m wondering about this too. My boy is on day 19 since PU surgery. Last night he leaked uncontrollably all night. He was drenched. I felt so bad for him. Tonight he leaked a little on my lap and jumped down to leak more on a newspaper. I’m glad he’s peeing but I want him to be well. He hates the cone, hates paper litter, hates being wet with urine and he misses his brother, who I had to send to Grandma’s while this whole ordeal is going on. Sorry I don’t have an answer for you but I’m curious to see what others will say.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

snsaundersva

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
And today, day 18, he started with the random
peeing everywhere, again. I had to lock him in the bathroom again....HELP. He was fine all day yesterday....

Last edited:

Tdizz11

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Are you giving him any medicine? Dalton peed every where yesterday too. He peed on my chair and books on the coffee table. He’s really just leaking. I saw him squat and pee on a towel but the rest of the day he leaked. We have another vet follow up appointment this morning.

snsaundersva

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He leaks here and there after a trip to the box, but then today, started with peeing on clothes and such again. Thanksgiving day was 4 weeks since surgery, just trying not to have to stalk him. He does seem to have more frequent trips to the box at a time...

snsaundersva

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
S snsaundersva Are you giving meds? Is your cat leaking while he lays like a bunny or is he just squatting on everything?
Not giving him any meds, doc said I didn't need to. He has been on strict Urinary Rx diet, just seems to be having a bad day?

Tdizz11

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Did he use regular litter before surgery? Thanksgiving was 3 weeks for since surgery for Dalton. I put a thin layer of litter in his box and he had been using the box every day since. I change the litter each time. I’m trying to switch him to a natural litter so right now he has 2 boxes mixed with blue buffalo clumping walnut and fresh step. After he pees in the litter, he darts out, leaving trail of pee. I don’t care about that at all. At least he’s peeing and he’s peeing in the box. He was peeing on my clothes when I was in the shower and on towels prior to me giving him regular litter again. I really think he just hates those newspaper pellets. We have another vet checkup tomorrow. Maybe offer him some normal litter? I check his backside after he’s in the litter to make sure nothing is stuck to him.
I wish you luck!

snsaundersva

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Did he use regular litter before surgery? Thanksgiving was 3 weeks for since surgery for Dalton. I put a thin layer of litter in his box and he had been using the box every day since. I change the litter each time. I’m trying to switch him to a natural litter so right now he has 2 boxes mixed with blue buffalo clumping walnut and fresh step. After he pees in the litter, he darts out, leaving trail of pee. I don’t care about that at all. At least he’s peeing and he’s peeing in the box. He was peeing on my clothes when I was in the shower and on towels prior to me giving him regular litter again. I really think he just hates those newspaper pellets. We have another vet checkup tomorrow. Maybe offer him some normal litter? I check his backside after he’s in the litter to make sure nothing is stuck to him.
I wish you luck!
He did use the box regular before the whole urinary ordeal. It is 330am now and I found him struggling to pee, as he was before I went to bed. So rather than pay the ER again, good ole Youtubed how to express his bladder and, splash....he was soaked. So it seems he has some muscle control issues in this area, being that he couldn't do it without my help. Does this mean the surgeon is bad? Or has he just not healed enough?

Tdizz11

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would bring him to the vet today. He might have a scab or scar tissue in the way. His bladder could be hard and inflamed as well so I’d be afraid to keep expressing it. The vet can clean out the hole. Dalton had the same problem.

snsaundersva

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would bring him to the vet today. He might have a scab or scar tissue in the way. His bladder could be hard and inflamed as well so I’d be afraid to keep expressing it. The vet can clean out the hole. Dalton had the same problem.
So he left a puddle after I massaged his abdomen, and called down significantly. The vet said it was most likely another spasm and gabe me some more prasozin. He is playing and happy today, so far only 1 squat near his bed. Thinking about getting some deterrent and attractant to help him know where to go

Tdizz11

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh good! I thought about getting that attractant too but since I started using Dalton’s normal litter again, he hasn’t had one accident. Is he still wearing the cone? I see Dalton struggling with the cone in his litter box. He likes to dig and sniff the litter and the cone gets in the way. I hope your boy has another good day

snsaundersva

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
UPDATE: So its been a month since surgery and he is doing pretty well except one thing. He still likes to pee on clothes if they are on the floor, and he has been groaning in the litter box. I checked and he IS passing urine, no blood. But he does seem to be straining. Doc gave me more prazosin to have just in case, but he still seems to make several trips to the box for little amounts at a time. The vocals kinda scare me though....thoughts?

Tdizz11

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That would worry me too.

My Dalton is now, finally, using the litter box like normal. It’s almost like he had to figure out the right squat. Vet had him on a 1/4 pill twice a day of bethanechol and I was wiggling a tube of animax up his urethra for the last 2 weeks.
Are the stitches all gone? Back to normal litter? When Dalton was peeing on clothes, towels etc, I think he liked it because it was soft. Is everything back to normal?
I swear, once I brought my other cat home and started using litter instead of paper, Dalton snapped back and the recovery sky rocketed.
Knock wood.
The groaning in the litter box would really make me nervous. There must be something there that’s hurting him still. Is he eating and drinking?
Oh I’m so sorry. I so hope he is ok.
He is peeing, so that’s good.
I am only giving my cats distilled water. Vet said to do that because any other water can leave calcium deposits.
I wish I had an answer for you. Please keep us updated.

snsaundersva

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update:

The magic of ACV!!! So he was making several trips in and out the box and crying while doing it each time, up until I started giving him apple cider vinegar mixed with water. I took his medicine dropper and gave him 2-3 tubes full 2 days ago and since then he hasn't cried at all in the box. He still seems to make 2 dozen trips in and out, which I guess is normal? I am wondering if maybe the cry was from burning during his pee, and he had a slight UTI trying to start. So ACV seems to have reduced the pain....hmmm?

snsaundersva

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Wanted to add that I kept up the ACV 3 times a day now and not 1 cry or groan. He has a urinalysis this week just to see how crystal formation is going, pretty sure he will be clear now. Anyone else tried ACV for this?

snsaundersva

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update:
Turns out he had a raging UTI going on, words of the doctor. He is now on 14 days of Orbax. Today is day 4 and while he is still groaning a bit in the box, he isn't yelping uncontrollably. I got some GNC urinary chews with cranberry in it, some calming treats, and also more bupreno from the doc for pain. Today was the first time je acted like a kitten in months, it was so wonderful to see ☺. I know he is still uncomfortable, and I am trying to not cry when he does....but hopefully there is some improvement soon. I am still putting a few syringes with water/acv mix and also trying to force him to drink plain water.....any other ideas??

Tdizz11

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Omg. That is so scary. Do you have multiple drinking bowls and a fountain? My vet says distilled water. Of course if you google that, there are 10,009 reasons why you shouldn’t give them distilled water. I haven’t been giving any treats. Just feeding Merrick canned food with a little distilled water added. Did you tell the vet about the ACV? I’m curious what they’d say about that.
I am happy to hear he’s acting like a kitten again. That’s definitely a good sign. Do you have multiple cats? Could he be catching something from some one else? It is truly so frustrating.
I just left a Christmas party after being there 15 minutes because I wanted to get home to see if Dalton peed.
- he did!
Ahhh. I hope your boy starts feeling better. Keep me posted