Befriending a Tiny Stray

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's wonderful to see how well Wit os adjusting and learning!! Grooming with a soft-bristled toothbrush using small, quick, 'J ' strokes will mimic a mama kitty's licks and give Wit comfort as well as bonding. Bringing him to you was his mother cat's best gift to her baby - a mother's love is so strong. If all goes well, Wit could easily be your son's fur buddy until adulthood.

I would apply a thing layer of coconut oil to his bottom.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

enendawson

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wit update:

Today was Wit's first vet appointment, and it turns out "he" is actually a girl lol Whoops!

The vet was not sure about her age. He said based on weight (she's not even a pound), he estimates she is 4 weeks old... But I think it's unlikely she was only 2 weeks old when we caught her? She was very coordinated and has been eating wet food without issue... I hope we haven't done anything bad for her.

She's had dewormer and the vet gave us a free flea treatment for her. She's healthy looking, but the vet thought she was too little for leukemia/FIV testing yet, so we'll keep her isolated for another month .

I can't believe she's a little girl! The vet said orange girls are rare.

And apparently our socializing has worked well. She hissed at the vet at first, but otherwise cooperated. He said she's no threat to anybody :)

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Awww you have a little orange girl! I have only had one in my life and she was extremely sweet. I agree with your assessment of her age, but in the end what is important is that she is safe and healthy. She is lucky to have been rescued by you.

enendawson

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We brought Wit for her second checkup today for FIV and FeLV tests and shots.

She tested positive for FIV :( It was a very faint positive though, and the vet explained that it's possible she just has antibodies from her mother that will work out of her system. So we will be retesting her in a month.

Has anyone had that happen before with a kitten? I'm hoping her next test will be negative because we are so in love with her, and I was so hoping to let her out of her room today and now I'll probably just be worrying for the next 4 weeks.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

Sylvia Jones

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Has mom cat still been coming around? Your doing a great job with the kitten She is beautiful You May want to start giving her some dry kibble to munch on between meals Kittens use up a lot of energy and need the calories for growth Take lots of pictures they change so fast

enendawson

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The mom cat actually has been coming around a bit more! I was able to tap the window at her without her running, so I'm hopeful that we may be able to trap and spay her.

I've been Googling and reading on vet sites about the FIV+ test, and it seems that given her age, it is unlikely, though of course not impossible, that she is truly infected, so I am hopeful.

I read and saw on one of the linked threads too that it is transferred through deep puncture wounds, and I think since she was so little when we brought her in, we would have noticed if she had any sort of injury like that? Idk.

The vet gave us a printout with info too. My other cat is not aggressive, and I don't see them fighting at all. I've held the kitten around the house, and while my adult cat hissed a little, she didn't growl or try to take a swipe at her.

I think if I keep bringing her out and supervising them together that they'll get used to each other and there will be little risk of fighting. My husband is concerned that since the kitten is young and playful, she and the older cat may accidentally injure each other in play and that may cause infection?

I didn't think of that until after the vet closed, so I may call and ask on Monday. My impression is it has to be a deep wound, so even if they somehow scratched or drew a little blood, the infection risk would be low?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I don't think that there is anything wrong with the cats seeing each other or being in the same room as FIV does require a bite wounds, blood, and saliva. However, this is where you get onto a slippery slope of what constitutes a bite, how deep, etc if it should happen at all.

How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide – TheCatSite Articles

This is not to say that you don't know how to introduce your cats but there may be some safe steps here like the use of a pet gate where they can see each other but absolutely no fighting can take place. Certainly there is a chance that your baby does not have FIV as the vet has explained.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I read and saw on one of the linked threads too that it is transferred through deep puncture wounds, and I think since she was so little when we brought her in, we would have noticed if she had any sort of injury like that? Idk.
Antigens can be transferred through mama's milk or even through the birth canal. That is why the vets want to do a re-test. The antigens sometimes 'fade' and result in a second test coming out negative. So, it is possible that the mama has FIV or is at least a carrier.