Before 5 Months?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since the motto here is "fix by five" (though your website does say 4 or 5 months), what percentage of female kittens do you think go into heat before 5 months? I had one girl go into heat right at 16 weeks, and a couple who were around 4 1/2 months.

Dr. Phil Bushby

TCS Member
Guest Expert
Purraise
Since the motto here is "fix by five" (though your website does say 4 or 5 months), what percentage of female kittens do you think go into heat before 5 months? I had one girl go into heat right at 16 weeks, and a couple who were around 4 1/2 months.
This is an easy one. Almost all cats will go into heat before 5 months of age. It is unusual, but it does happen on occasion, for it be be later than 5 months of age.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, seems like "fix by 5" is a bit late then ;).

Most that I've had spayed at 5 months (my vet's preferred age) hadn't gone into heat yet.

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
I have a friend who talked with her vet about how early to spay as female Bengal. She believes cats need to grow first and before 5 months is too early. So the spay appointment was schedulred for wihtin a week of the kitten turning 5 months old. The kitten went into heat a week early. My friend thinks living with a male cat had something to do with it, but he is neutered.

Dr. Phil Bushby

TCS Member
Guest Expert
Purraise
Well, seems like "fix by 5" is a bit late then ;).

Most that I've had spayed at 5 months (my vet's preferred age) hadn't gone into heat yet.
The key with the Phrase fix by 5 is "by" 5. Not at 5 but by 5. The ideal for peoples pets to let them get their full vaccination series which is usually complete by 4 months of age and schedule the surgery after the last vaccine but before the cat turns 5 months old.

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
Now that you menttion vaccines: I adopted one cat at a shelter that vaccinates all puppies and kittens for rabies at the same time they operate even if the animal is just three months old. But that cat's first vet with me said wait the rabies vaccine, which is required for cats and dogs, should not be given before age 4 months. So I was wondering if it really is that important and why.

Dr. Phil Bushby

TCS Member
Guest Expert
Purraise
Now that you menttion vaccines: I adopted one cat at a shelter that vaccinates all puppies and kittens for rabies at the same time they operate even if the animal is just three months old. But that cat's first vet with me said wait the rabies vaccine, which is required for cats and dogs, should not be given before age 4 months. So I was wondering if it really is that important and why.
I really can't answer your question directly. The reason is different states and different countries have different laws related to administration of rabies vaccines. The other factor that influences vaccination is what was the vaccination status of the cats mother. This is significant because queens transmit "passive immunity" to their kittens through colostrum when the kittens nurse the first few days of their life. That is a good thing, BUT if the queen was vaccinated for rabies and passed passive immunity to her kittens it is possible for that passive immunity to interfere with the kittens response to a rabies vaccine at 3 months of age. Usually passive immunity has been lost by 4 months of age. The safest thing to do. Have the cat vaccinated again for rabies.