Beef Lung Cat Treats?

violetxx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello all,

I've been interested in finding a good treat for my cats but I have noticed that there aren't many threads on TCS that thoroughly critique many cat treat brands. I have been looking around at various stores (for me in Canada I have: Petsmart, Global Pet Foods, Shurgain, Barking Lot) and I want a treat that is high in protein with few to no carbs if possible.

I came across Quality House Brand - Freezed Dried Beef Lung and was quite happy with its Guaranteed Analysis (Protein: 77.1% Fat: 14.5% Carbohydrates: 0.10% Ash 0.28% Moisture 2.75% Calories 439) and few ingredients: 100% naturally pure beef lung, however I have never heard of a 'lung' treat..so I'm not sure if I should feed it? They also had freeze dried liver as well.

Here's the link: http://www.qualityhousebrand.com/products_freeze_dried_cats.php

What do you guys think? Or are there any brands that you would recommend?

Cheers,

kittylover23

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hiya Violet. :wavey:

I went treat shopping yesterday at Pet Valu (I'm in Canada too, Toronto) and I found some new brands. My little kitten Cookie is ADDICTED to treats, so I needed something healthy to make sure she doesn't get too chubby. I found PureLife, and they have 100% chicken breast treats, which Cookie LOVES. They also have shrimp and ocean whitefish flavored. Although, I wouldn't reccomend those unless you like the smell of fish, because they stink. :lol3:

I also found Benny Bully, which are 100% beef liver and Cookie likes those as well. If you want healthy treats that are not freeze dried, try Natural Purrz and Natural Balance. Greenies are okay once in a while but I wouldn't reccomend them for every day, they're kind of fatty.

Good luck! :D

nerdrock

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hiya Violet.

I went treat shopping yesterday at Pet Valu (I'm in Canada too, Toronto) and I found some new brands. My little kitten Cookie is ADDICTED to treats, so I needed something healthy to make sure she doesn't get too chubby. I found PureLife, and they have 100% chicken breast treats, which Cookie LOVES. They also have shrimp and ocean whitefish flavored. Although, I wouldn't reccomend those unless you like the smell of fish, because they stink.

I also found Benny Bully, which are 100% beef liver and Cookie likes those as well. If you want healthy treats that are not freeze dried, try Natural Purrz and Natural Balance. Greenies are okay once in a while but I wouldn't reccomend them for every day, they're kind of fatty.
Good luck!
To further expand on this - there are freeze dried treats (probably PureLife but for some reason I'm thinking Pure Bite, lol) that you can get for dogs or cats, the package for cats is smaller than the one for dogs but it's the exact same thing and I think they might be a bit cheaper. Next time you're out, check the dog section for freeze dried meat treats, they'll probably have the lung ones you're looking for. I know Caesar Milan has freeze dried beef lung treats. 

sugarcatmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Haven't tried beef lung before but I don't see why it wouldn't be a good treat choice. Another option is PureBites, which are pretty easy to find, are 100% freeze dried meat, and come in many flavours (my cats love the duck liver). The aforementioned Benny Bully's also have other flavours besides liver, like cheddar, egg, and the favourite in my household: chicken hearts. And if you can find Cat-Man-Doo products, they have a very yummy (I presume, based on feline reactions) Freeze Dried Wild Alaskan Salmon, as well as Bonito Flakes.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

violetxx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your replies! You've given me some great ideas. I have seen Purebites before and was debating trying the chicken next.

So far only one of my three cats will eat the freeze-dried beef lung

I have read in some other threads that people will give pieces of kibble as a treat. Currently only one of my cats gets kibble (a prescription high energy food - because we're trying to get her to gain some weight) but otherwise you wouldn't see me feed kibble with a ten foot pole, however I have noticed that Evo and Innova have some alright dry foods that are high in protein that may be more palatable for my troublesome two who are picky eaters. This is the first time I've ever fed treats so this is why I'm asking, and I feel bad giving treats to one and not the other two.... hmmm

@LDG - where did you find the Whole Life freeze dried meat and organ treats?

freaknpink

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I buy  Catswell brand treats at Petco

http://www.petco.com/shop/searchresults.aspx?Ntt=catswell&x=0&y=0

They have ones for bad breath. Eyes, skin and coat and one for joint health

I'm giving them the eyes, skin and coat ones at the moment & they can't get enough

Ingredients:

Chicken Breast, Flaxseed Oil, Vitamin E Supplement, Vitamin A Acetate. 

Guaranteed Analysis:

Crude protein (min.) 55%, crude fat (min.) 2.0%, crude fat (max.) 5.0%, crude fiber (max.) 4.8%, moisture (max.) 27.0%. vitamin E 5 i.u/0.01 kg (min.), vitamin A 50 i.u/0.0003 kg (min.), omega 3 fatty acids* 0.05% (min.). *This compound is not recognized as an essential nutrient by the AAFCO cat food nutrient profile.

cjbryant

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cats got the dried beef lung treats in their December Meow Box and they LOVE them. I've had to hide them or they would tear right through the bag to get to them. One of mine is not a big treat fan, but these she'll come running for!

murz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes indeed lung seems like a very ideal cat treat I tried feeding real lung meat today he absolutely loved it!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
The dog has just started on beef lung treats and loves them. He even abandoned his favorite Trader Joe's smoked chicken dog jerky for them. The cats steal them from him. They act as if they have just made an amazing catch and run off to hide with their prey.