Becoming a cat behaviorist...

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does anyone know the official process? I've been trying to find it on the web, and there's some information, but I haven't been able to find a precise method..

diego

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CatsAreBetter

Does anyone know the official process? I've been trying to find it on the web, and there's some information, but I haven't been able to find a precise method..
I wish I could remember, I did know about 10 years ago. I know there is definitely quite a bit involved.

Thats not really much help

ETA try contacting a university, they will definitely be able to provide you with the info you want.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I have a link somewhere that tells what the requirement is for getting affiliated with their organization, but there doesn't seem to be a degree involved. That site, and it was a well-known organization from what I could see, just stated that you needed to do a study, and a few other things, to be affiliated. I, of course, can't remember the name of it now.
I'll have to go looking it up. They did have some links to courses, but at least one of the courses was a dvd course, and there didn't appear to be a test of any nature.

I think I want to get the dvds anyway, just to practice and learn, regardless of whether I ever find anything else or not.

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you going into business as a feline behaviorist? There's a crying need for good behaviorists. People are always having trouble with their cats and nowhere to turn except their vets, who may not know enough about it to really offer a solution. Or their friends who may know even less. I think if you're any good at it you should do quite well. Good luck!!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I beleive there are actual degrees ... hummm note to self ask vet

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, my vets don't seem to know much about it..

I was thinking about it, even if I learn it just for my household, but it doesn't seem to be an actual degree. It looks more like a certification from what I saw. And of course, their link is broken, so I can't see their "path to certification" page.

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i looks like you have to have a degree (masters) in behavior science to be eligible for certification.

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As close as I can tell, the different organizations require different things. The last time I looked at IAABC, I found information on how to be affiliated with them, but I don't think it said anything about having a particular curriculum. From what I've seen on practicing behaviorist websites, some of them are affiliated with all, and some are affiliated with others..

I wrote to a cat behaviorist group that was looking for more behaviorists and asked them what the process was so hopefully they'll get back to me with an answer. I don't know if they will or not, but.. it might be helpful.

Perhaps I'll write to IAABC and a few of the other agencies and see what they say.

Thanks everyone for all the help!