Adult Cat
Purraise
BC5343C7-C635-4FF3-AD96-390A2F27C55C.jpeg
4079BD43-EFE7-4376-B6F4-316E7A49DD20.jpeg
51273B77-9828-4FFE-A3DE-51D3630C24FF.jpeg
4E5ADD75-8F2C-4C53-A8B2-166DA97D1E7F.jpeg
A1FACB14-0094-4CE2-B843-A60680AFB576.jpeg
Hi everyone,

I had to put my beautiful 9 year old baby boy, Leroy, to sleep yesterday and I am broken. I can’t eat or stop crying. He was diagnosed with large call lymphoma only 3 weeks ago and now he’s gone. Due to the aggressive nature of his CNS cancer, which paralyzed his jaw then made him blind, the last 3 weeks were the most intense time we had spent together.

Cancer robbed Leroy of the ability to eat on his own, so I sped home during my lunch hour, spoon fed him, then rushed back to work about 20 mins late. Everyday. I also worked from home more and stayed up at all hours to take care of him. I lost 10lbs. Sickness made the usually independent and aloof Leroy needy, and he slept under the covers with me at night, literally glued to my body this past month, which I am heartbroken but greatful for.

Before cancer, Leroy was a huge (long not fat), 17lb, magnificent male cat that never lost a fight. He came into my life 2 weeks after I moved to Philadelphia from Japan 6 years ago. He originally belonged to my housemate, who found him on Samson Rd as a stray 3 month old kitten. He was always traveling however, and never gave Leroy much love. I quickly fell in love with him and spent 3 patient months waiting for the shy cat to come around. He eventually started sleeping on my bed at night and when I returned from a few days trip, he jumped into my arms and clung to me like he missed me sooo much. This is the moment I knew he loved me too. We moved out months later and we’ve been family since. Baby Leroy, mommy will always love you. If you ever get lost, just call for me, and I will always be here. Kisses!!!!!

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
Everytime I see on here about the passing of a Tuxedo it hits me harder than any others as you see my baby Sylvester and they look somewhat similar, what a gorgeous, handsome young man he was. I can tell in the last photo how sick he was at the end, but try not to dwell on that part, think of him strong and handsome because where he is right now that is how he is, not sick anymore. You did more than anyone would have to help him, you are to be commended for the great caring job that you did for him, and he loves and thanks you for it, but he is relieved to be free of his pain riddled body, is just fine now, just fine. But I am so sorry that you lost your friend, your sweet Tux.

"Their last breath on Earth is their first breath in Heaven" :rbheart:

I hope your heart heals a bit more each day, God Bless.....:alright: :grouphug: :rbheart:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Plumeria

Leroy's Mommy
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sylvester’s daddy, thank you for your kind, perfect words. I was actually reading your thread and was struck by how similar our babies’ stories were.....beautiful tuxedo taken too fast by an aggressive cancer. I had to stop in the middle because I started crying again. Then I got an alert that Leroy’s thread got a response, and it was from you. It was exactly what I needed. I am so sorry that you lost such a beautiful boy. We can definitely relate. I told Leroy as he was crossing the bridge yesterday, laying on his favorite Martha Stewart sherpa throw, to follow mommy’s voice and I’ll lead him over the bridge, where he’ll be chasing birds again. I hope that my baby has the honor of meeting your Sylvester there. Perhaps he can help Leroy get adjusted :-) I am still at the point where I’m kicking myself for not doing things right and failing him. Questioning if the euthanasia was pre-mature. But I know I will heal in time. Thank you again.

solomonar

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I saw Leroy enjoyed time outside and the comfort of the warm home and the protection of loving humans.

There are not so many humans living in so beautiful places and feeling so much Love.

You were there to help him to the end of Earthly path - imagine what will happen to him in wilderness?

And memories last for ever.

+++

I believe every Creature is endowed by Soul.
I believe there is a Realm of Love which has no Beginning an no End which is for us to feel but not to know.

Happy hunting, Leroy!

Tabbytastic

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
View attachment 232321 View attachment 232323 View attachment 232324 View attachment 232325 View attachment 232326 Hi everyone,

I had to put my beautiful 9 year old baby boy, Leroy, to sleep yesterday and I am broken. I can’t eat or stop crying. He was diagnosed with large call lymphoma only 3 weeks ago and now he’s gone. Due to the aggressive nature of his CNS cancer, which paralyzed his jaw then made him blind, the last 3 weeks were the most intense time we had spent together.

Cancer robbed Leroy of the ability to eat on his own, so I sped home during my lunch hour, spoon fed him, then rushed back to work about 20 mins late. Everyday. I also worked from home more and stayed up at all hours to take care of him. I lost 10lbs. Sickness made the usually independent and aloof Leroy needy, and he slept under the covers with me at night, literally glued to my body this past month, which I am heartbroken but greatful for.

Before cancer, Leroy was a huge (long not fat), 17lb, magnificent male cat that never lost a fight. He came into my life 2 weeks after I moved to Philadelphia from Japan 6 years ago. He originally belonged to my housemate, who found him on Samson Rd as a stray 3 month old kitten. He was always traveling however, and never gave Leroy much love. I quickly fell in love with him and spent 3 patient months waiting for the shy cat to come around. He eventually started sleeping on my bed at night and when I returned from a few days trip, he jumped into my arms and clung to me like he missed me sooo much. This is the moment I knew he loved me too. We moved out months later and we’ve been family since. Baby Leroy, mommy will always love you. If you ever get lost, just call for me, and I will always be here. Kisses!!!!!
I am so very sorry to hear of the loss of your handsome boy Leroy. It is obvious how much he was loved and cherished by you and I’m sure he knew it. You did so much to help Leroy but you were up against the worst of the worst, such an aggressive and awful disease that seems to target younger cats.

I lost my boy in March to severe ibd/possible lymphoma which led to chronic pancreatitis, he was 8 and a half. I never had the biopsies done but he felt and looked so poorly, I’m convinced it was large cell lymphoma. Life can be so cruel.

I couldn’t stop crying for quite some weeks and I wasn’t sure whether I had made the right choice but with time you will begin to realise that you did your best for him, loved him, gave him a great home and did what to did to prevent him from anymore pain. It was him you were thinking of, you had his welfare at heart. It is so hard to see them so ill.

I will be thinking of you during these hard weeks ahead. Remember the joy and comfort you brought each other, nothing can ever take that away from you.

Much love x

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
Sylvester’s daddy, thank you for your kind, perfect words. I was actually reading your thread and was struck by how similar our babies’ stories were.....beautiful tuxedo taken too fast by an aggressive cancer. I had to stop in the middle because I started crying again. Then I got an alert that Leroy’s thread got a response, and it was from you. It was exactly what I needed. I am so sorry that you lost such a beautiful boy. We can definitely relate. I told Leroy as he was crossing the bridge yesterday, laying on his favorite Martha Stewart sherpa throw, to follow mommy’s voice and I’ll lead him over the bridge, where he’ll be chasing birds again. I hope that my baby has the honor of meeting your Sylvester there. Perhaps he can help Leroy get adjusted :-) I am still at the point where I’m kicking myself for not doing things right and failing him. Questioning if the euthanasia was pre-mature. But I know I will heal in time. Thank you again.
I am glad that the reply helped you, and thank you for your reply. It is actually Simon who was the Tuxedo that passed, Sylvester is still here with me but I follow your story and I also hope that Simon is there to greet him and share a toy or two!

The grief is what is controlling you right now both mentally and physically which is normal, and it will make you question things and place doubt in your mind, but in your heart you know that you did all that you could and did the right thing, we always think "we should have done this too" or "I should have noticed this before" but again it is the grief and sadness trying to run it's course through your mind and body and with time it will, but right now it hurts so badly I know. You did the right thing, not the thing that you wanted to do but it was the right thing.

Prayers that you can deal with this and you will, just a little bit better everyday but it takes a long time and can come and go in "waves", just hold on and eventually the sun will come out again! :) :sunshine:

Plumeria

Leroy's Mommy
Adult Cat
Purraise
Solomonar, thank you. Leroy greatly enjoyed the outdoors. He would spend hours in the backyard napping, watching birds, chasing mice, and taking walks along the small path behind it. He still took his walks even when his health declined, resting to nap after every 20 steps. He even went outside yesterday too, and I helped him navigate around his favorite backyard. He's very smart and seemed to know where everything was from memory. I thought he may want to cross there, in his favorite napping spot under the tree, but he wanted to go back inside. When I put him on the living room couch, on top of his favorite throw, with the TV on, he crashed immediately. Didn't even wake up when the vet arrived. So, I knew this was where he wanted to make his journey.

Tabbytastic, is that your adorable boy in your avatar? He was so young. My heart hurts that you and your boy had to go through such hardship. You're right, it's devastating to watch your baby suffer so much. And you're powerless to save him even though you're supposed to be his protector. Lymphoma is a cruel disease and, yes, life can be rough. Thank you so much for your thoughts and support. I really can't say enough about all the kind, cat loving, amazing beings here, willing to comfort a total stranger like this. You guys are my rock.

les26, sorry I mixed up your kitties' names. I hope Sylvester is happy and well. Please send him my love! I already see what you mean by "waves". Even today, I've alternated from crying to feeling calm a number of times. Right now, I feel calm and comforted by being on this forum. Again, thank you for your support.

wt1964

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am so glad that you and Leroy found one another. Cats are not as aloof as people seem to believe. They need love as much as anyone. We get from them what we give to them, and your patience definitely payed off. Becoming the healthcare giver for the one that we love the most is one of the most difficult...and loving things we can do for our dear little companions. I applaud you for doing what you could and my heart aches for you and your Leroy.

Tabbytastic

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Solomonar, thank you. Leroy greatly enjoyed the outdoors. He would spend hours in the backyard napping, watching birds, chasing mice, and taking walks along the small path behind it. He still took his walks even when his health declined, resting to nap after every 20 steps. He even went outside yesterday too, and I helped him navigate around his favorite backyard. He's very smart and seemed to know where everything was from memory. I thought he may want to cross there, in his favorite napping spot under the tree, but he wanted to go back inside. When I put him on the living room couch, on top of his favorite throw, with the TV on, he crashed immediately. Didn't even wake up when the vet arrived. So, I knew this was where he wanted to make his journey.

Tabbytastic, is that your adorable boy in your avatar? He was so young. My heart hurts that you and your boy had to go through such hardship. You're right, it's devastating to watch your baby suffer so much. And you're powerless to save him even though you're supposed to be his protector. Lymphoma is a cruel disease and, yes, life can be rough. Thank you so much for your thoughts and support. I really can't say enough about all the kind, cat loving, amazing beings here, willing to comfort a total stranger like this. You guys are my rock.

les26, sorry I mixed up your kitties' names. I hope Sylvester is happy and well. Please send him my love! I already see what you mean by "waves". Even today, I've alternated from crying to feeling calm a number of times. Right now, I feel calm and comforted by being on this forum. Again, thank you for your support.
Yes, that is my silver tabby boy in my avatar. I miss him so much every minute of every day. I had planned so much for our future, never expected to loose him so soon!

You are right, there are amazing people on here and we are all here for each other.

Be kind to yourself and I am thinking of you x

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rest you gentle, Leroy, dream you deep. You walk in your mommy's heart forever.

What a magnificent cat Leroy was, and is. Love does not die. Not ever. Love changes form, becomes more pure, and continues on, still Love, ever abiding. Leroy has shrugged off his poor body that was no longer able to support his great heart and loving spirit, but Leroy remains with you, unseen, but present always. In the fullness of time, when you, too, put off your coat of flesh, Leroy will dance on starlight with you in joyous reunion.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You have a deep, unending bond with that sweet boy, he needed you and you were there. Don't feel bad for not being with him constantly, he would never want for you to be sad because of him. Love means he wants only happiness and sunshine in your life, for you to carry his love with you and keep it alive through your memories and honoring his name through sharing his love with others. His love will always be secure in your heart, to reside side by side with any new loves, growing and blooming in the sunshine of those loves,do not let that love wither in the darkness of grief.
Of course it takes a lot of time to adjust to not having his presence in your home, but I know the 'essence' of that sweet boy will forever follow you on that new path he now follows. He will always be near, a love like he had for you just does not disappear, it just changes form.
Please try to celebrate knowing that little boy, of loving him. You are greatly blessed to have had him share your life for a little while. The love he gave you will be with you for eternity.
I know how much this hurts, I lost my own beautiful boy last fall, and that last picture reminds me of the ravages that cancer can have on those precious tiny bodies. I pray they are free of pain, and running free across the sky. I'll keep you both in my thoughts and prayers, take care of yourself......RIP dear Leroy. You will never be forgotten, you will always have a secure place in a loving heart. May the good Lord bless and keep you, until you meet again.

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
That's okay, and yes he is happy and well! He got his haircut a month ago, we are finding out that since he is a long hair we need to take him to the vet to get cut because he gets very matted despite us combing him, and we have done this twice now (we've only had him a little over 2 years) he gets so happy and playful afterwards, like a switch flipped and he seems to love the shorter hair! We are going to try to get him trimmed again in October, we all agreed twice a year would be better for him (oh boy!) but I like him with longer hair like Sebastian had so he looks like him and Simon but of course his comfort is priority, and they said in October it would just be a "trim" rather than a shave down so we shall see how that goes lol!!!

Yes, the emotions come and go, I talked to my Pastor and a psychologist friend after Sebastian died in my arms and they both said it takes about 1.5 years until you can say that you can really deal with it and I found that to be true. Just go with how you are feeling, don't surpress it as that only makes it worse, just let it out and you will heal somewhat faster. It is very rough, I know.....

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
My sincere condolences and deepest regrets on the passing of Leroy. He was such a handsome and loving boy. :bicolorcat: No matter the age I think we feel it's never enough time and when they leave a part of our heart goes with them. May the memories of Leroy live on in your heart forever. :hearthrob: RIP sweet angel.:angel:

Timmer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry to hear about Leroy passing. He looks like a wonderful, strong and proud cat and it is so sad to see them decline like that. But I love how cats come into our lives and touch our hearts so deeply. I wish everyone could understand that. You come here and grieve when you have to or want to. We all understand. I lost my Timmer four months ago this past Friday and I still cry so hard. Grief comes in waves.
You were a great caregiver and gave him a fantastic home with so much love.

Plumeria

Leroy's Mommy
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you all so much. I should be getting ready for work right now, but I had to call the Animal Hospital to cancel my baby boy’s standing oncology appointment, and when the receptionist recognized my voice and asked, “Oh, is this for Leroy?” I broke down. I’m a hot mess again and have to get myself together somehow and head to work. Bed time and waking up in the morning is the worst. Terrifying. Leroy always slept with me and the bed is where he really let loose with his affection, knead the throw, purr up a storm, and lay on top of mommy’s bladder lol. In the morning, he’d wake me up before the alarm went off by pawing my face, announcing that he wanted his Fancy Feast. Now I wake to an empty bed with no one to feed. I know he’s still with me. I feel him. In time I’ll get used to him being here in this spiritual way.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes you will, time helps heal all wounds. Crying is easy, getting stronger because of it is the hard part. It's a long hard journey, but you have help, understanding and prayers to help you along the way!

VBG

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
View attachment 232321 View attachment 232323 View attachment 232324 View attachment 232325 View attachment 232326 Hi everyone,

Attachments