Beating The Heat

Lennybells

Purring is my therapy!
Adult Cat
Purraise
It’s almost summer. It’s getting quite hot in Toronto. Today is supposed to feel like 41 degrees (Celsius, I’m so sorry for the folks in the US). I’m just a bit worried about Hobbes. We do have an AC, but is there anything else I can do to help Hobbes stay cool? He has a thick undercoat. He is shedding to his summer coat, but he doesn’t want me to brush him. I usually walk away with a scratch or two. Any ideas????
Thanks in advance

IzzysfureverMom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We have AC here as well, but a lot of windows. We also have ceiling fans that we run during the day.Some cat are afraid of fans. Ours now tolerate them especially when it is very hot outside. We have a south facing sunroom that they love, but we try to keep them out of there during the peak heat of the day . The room is mostly glass windows and glass doors and gets really hot even with AC.Having you tried one of those grooming gloves? They work pretty well. I also have a curry type brush from Chewy.com that works surprisingly well.
Its a yellow rubber duck.

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
groomers for a body shave or just keep a fan blowing all day to keep the air moving around and always make sure his water bowl is full. he will find the coolest part of your house. i know graycie does i always get ditched by her during the summer heat.graycie in the coolest corner of my apartment right now😂

Attachments

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some people say to put some ice cubes in the cat's water dish. It'll keep the water cool and it might keep the kitty even cooler if they like to play with the floating ice. Some cats do. Some cats don't. Try it to find out.

A former cat, named Spike, used to like to play ice cube hockey on the linoleum floor in the kitchen. Just put down an ice cube and he'd bat it across the kitchen floor, leaving a train of water behind. He'd chase it down and bat it in the other direction until the cube finally melted into a little puddle.

Yeah, the kitchen floor needs moping... Right? Mine, too! ;)
It was a good excuse to mop the kitchen floor. ;)

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hey Lennybells Lennybells ! Fellow Ontarian here!
I got a self-cooling mat from PetSmart. It takes some time to show them to use them.

I also shaved Ghost's belly. I had to get pet clippers for it but he really likes having a "vent" and doesnt overheat as much.

Lastly, just keeping the curtains closed to block the sun's heat out ia super helpful. (Also bugging city counsil to get more trees planted in the streets and flowers/bushes in the road's medians!)

Stay safe in the heat wave and remember to drink lots of water. You can add extra water to his wet food to help your cat stay hydrated.

PMousse

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hello! Fellow Torontonian here!

I keep the AC on, and my blinds/curtains closed. I also give them access to spaces in my place that are generally cooler, like a bathroom or a closet that doesn't have a window. In the early mornings/late evenings I keep the windows open to let in fresh air and breezes.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It’s almost summer. It’s getting quite hot in Toronto. Today is supposed to feel like 41 degrees (Celsius, I’m so sorry for the folks in the US). I’m just a bit worried about Hobbes. We do have an AC, but is there anything else I can do to help Hobbes stay cool? He has a thick undercoat. He is shedding to his summer coat, but he doesn’t want me to brush him. I usually walk away with a scratch or two. Any ideas????
Thanks in advance
We live in L.A., where it is TRULY hot in summer at times; and I can't afford the $$$ cost of AC. Having doors and windows closed during the day helps; also draw blinds, curtains, drapes. Open at dusk or when it gets cooler, and keep open all night if you are able to do so. Having laminate/tile/wood floors helps, and cats also love to lounge in sinks, tubs and showers when it's hot. Putting ice in water bowls helps, too; wetting a washcloth in cool water, wringing it out, and wiping down cats can help. Brushing often does, too. If you can just work up from brushing for a second or two, and giving a treat when he tolerates it, possibly you can work up to a full brushing session, followed by a treat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lennybells

Purring is my therapy!
Adult Cat
Purraise
I was able to brush him today. He hated it but he warned up to me after the churu. 😂 I brushed out a HUGE ball of fur. Of course, the long haired breeds hate the brushing. He was kinda hot today. I put ice cubes in his water and I wiped him with my hand after wetting it with cold water. He has been good so far. Today was another scorcher. 43 degrees!!!

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I was able to brush him today. He hated it but he warned up to me after the churu. 😂 I brushed out a HUGE ball of fur. Of course, the long haired breeds hate the brushing. He was kinda hot today. I put ice cubes in his water and I wiped him with my hand after wetting it with cold water. He has been good so far. Today was another scorcher. 43 degrees!!!
Be careful with wetting him. Studies have shown that it actually makes dogs and cats hotter.

When you wet just the outer fur, it can trap heat inside.

You can put a towel in the freezer and lay it out for him to lay on or near instead.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lennybells

Purring is my therapy!
Adult Cat
Purraise
Be careful with wetting him. Studies have shown that it actually makes dogs and cats hotter.

When you wet just the outer fur, it can trap heat inside.

You can put a towel in the freezer and lay it out for him to lay on or near instead.
Interesting!!!! I’ll try the freezer towel and see! We usually like to cuddle with him but he gets too hot now and he runs to the shade 😭

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Interesting!!!! I’ll try the freezer towel and see! We usually like to cuddle with him but he gets too hot now and he runs to the shade 😭
My very cuddly cat too has been too hot. I put a fan directly on where I normally sit with him and finally last night he came for a cuddle. 🥰
But not on the hotter days.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Fortunately we have central air and Carleton knows when it's on since he lays with his head right above the vent which helps cool him.
Our previous cats and dogs did this too. Animals are so smart!

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our cat, Casper, knows the sound of the thermostat clicking on! :)

Summer or winter, when her hears that sound, he'll head to the nearest central air vent to get some heat in the winter and cool air in the summer. One night, he was laying on the sofa, next to me, while we watched TV when the thermostat clicked. He got up and made a beeline for the air vent. He laid right down, next to the vent, and waited for the warm air to come up. As soon as the air started getting warm, he put his head down and snuggled right in.

I've seen Elliot do it once or twice, as well. He must have learned it from Casper! ;)

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our cat, Casper, knows the sound of the thermostat clicking on! :)

Summer or winter, when her hears that sound, he'll head to the nearest central air vent to get some heat in the winter and cool air in the summer. One night, he was laying on the sofa, next to me, while we watched TV when the thermostat clicked. He got up and made a beeline for the air vent. He laid right down, next to the vent, and waited for the warm air to come up. As soon as the air started getting warm, he put his head down and snuggled right in.

I've seen Elliot do it once or twice, as well. He must have learned it from Casper! ;)
Cats are very intelligent and intuitive; and of course they are exPURRt at looking after themselves when it comes to seeking comFURt.