Beastie Bands

BellaGooch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello there!
A while ago I posted a thread asking about cat collars that would breakaway if the cat was in a dire duration but be strong enough to not fall off easily and someone recommended to me the Beastie Band. I finally got around to ordering it and it’s made of neoprene. (They also sent the wrong color.) For some reason, I thought it was made of leather. Is that true, or is that just something I made up?
Also, are they strong? Will they come off easy, or be tough enough to stay on unless need be? I have outdoor cats, if that makes a difference. Thank you in advance :)

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yes, neoprene is correct material. They are very stable for the closure. The safety for your cat is that it will stretch enough for your cat to slip out of if it gets stuck on something. The only problem I had was when my cat figured he could slip out of it, he started grabbing it with his front paw and slipping out of it for fun. He'd always bring it back and present it to me, but he got to the point where it wouldn't stay on for more than 10 minutes and a few times he got a paw stuck trying to get it off. I swear it was his favorite game because he'd sit calmly while I fixed it when he did get stuck. I stopped using it only because my cat is a special child and I was worried he'd get stuck someplace he couldn't get back to me from (on the other side of our back fence is a closed alley so if he got stuck with it there, he couldn't get to me and I wouldn't see him).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BellaGooch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kieka Kieka thank you so much for your reply! I’m sure your cat doing that was irritating, but it was entertaining to read! :lol: Cats are hilarious.
Okay, good. Don’t know where I got it in my head that they were leather:dunno: They sound good, though. I’ll go ahead and see if they work for my cats. I only ordered one just to try it, but if I like it, we’ll probably end up getting more. Thank you!

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If it were leather it wouldn't come off in a dire situation. The stretchiness of neoprene is what makes them safe.

You'll want to make sure to put it on fairly tight — not tight enough to stretch it, but if it's right up against skin it's harder for the cat to pull it off and it's less likely to get caught on a branch or something.

And don't expect it to last more than a year or so; Jasmine's Beastie Band got incredibly ratty from being scratched at.

Margret