Beastie Band cat collars? General advise about collars?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

raina21

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Update on the collars :
Only one cat has kept hers on. And you'd never guess which one! Zazzie! The one who HATED collars!

Kiwi somehow ditched hers midday yesterday sometime after I left for work. I have no clue where she has hidden it. I suspect it was too loose. I will try to put the next one on tighter.

Tesla DESTROYED his:

I suspect his was too loose and he caught it in his mouth while grooming himself. I will try putting the next one on a bit tighter.

I have ordered replacements for all of their collars.

raina21

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
your cats look great in their new collars! :) I'm so excited for my beastie bands to come in the mail next week
Thanks! Make sure you put the collar on tight enough though. I think that's the mistake that I made, I put them on too loose and 2 of my cats were able to remove them. I'll try fitting them so that I can only fit one finger between the collar and their necks, instead of 2 fingers, like I did last time.

abby2932

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Received the Beastie Bands today! Put them on the cats and they haven't tried to take them off yet.

I love how incredibly lightweight and stretchy they are. I had reservations about getting collars for the cats but these stretchy, velcro collars would be so easy to come off with enough pressure.

Let's see if I can post these pics...

The only weird thing about my cats is that they are very long-haired so you really can't see the collars at all.

raina21

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
abby2932 abby2932

That's awesome! Hopefully they stay on! Do they have tags?

2 out of my 3 cats removed theirs. One ripped his off and the other lost/hid hers somewhere in the house. Surprisingly, the one who hates collars is the only one who has kept hers on.

I'm still waiting on the replacement collars I ordered for them. I'll have to put the new ones on a bit tighter than I did last time.

And I know what you mean, all my cats are either medium or long haired so it is hard to see their collars except at certain angles.

Last edited:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, that's the thing! 
 about "maned" cats and collars.  But it sounds like they will be good for them, and you absolutely want collars that will come off if they need to, to protect the cats! 

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would never let cat outdoors, no matter where we live, because there are sociopaths, dogs, etc., everywhere!  "Experts" worldwide stress the need to keep cats indoors only, with plenty of stimuli so they won't get bored.  And all of my beloved cats always wear breakaway collars with ID tags, because cats need them!

raina21

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I would never let cat outdoors, no matter where we live, because there are sociopaths, dogs, etc., everywhere!  "Experts" worldwide stress the need to keep cats indoors only, with plenty of stimuli so they won't get bored.  And all of my beloved cats always wear breakaway collars with ID tags, because cats need them!
Nobody said anything about letting them outside? My 3 cats are all indoor only, but I put collars and tags on them just in case they get out and someone finds them.

Last edited:

abby2932

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
yes, I bought the collars and tags from Boomerang Pet Tags so the collars came with a personalized tag that slides onto them instead of hanging down. They say, "I'M LOST! $REWARD$ - 504-***-****"

I love them! I just wish you could see them haha In case they ever did get outside, I doubt anyone would see the collar unless the cats were close enough to pet which probably wouldn't happen because they would be so afraid

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I plan to put a little bit of glue on the edge that I trim off, so it won't continue to fray.
They usually don't fray where you cut them, but along the long edges. That's the one drawback to Beastie Bands - they usually have to be replaced every 12 - 18 months. You can trim loose lining threads with scissors to keep them from looking too ratty.

raina21

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Okay, I just had a MAJOR scare!

My mom came in and told me that she hadn't seen Tesla in a while and he was not even coming out for treats, and he ALWAYS comes out for treats. We looked all over the house for him. And we were like "He couldn't have gotten out could he?" So we walk up to our sliding glass door and turn on the back porch light, and Tesla is sitting outside the door!!!! We had no clue he had even gotten out!!! Neither my mom or I had even been outside in several hours, and we both played with him after we came back in. So it must have been my dad who let him out!!! And my dad didn't even notice !!! And when we opened the door he ran back a little bit as if he was afraid of us. But then I shook the treats and he came running inside!!! Thank god he didn't run away! There are Coyotes in this area and he's just a kitten! I feel so bad! He must have been so scared! And we don't even know how long he was out there :( . His new collars haven't come in yet either so he wasn't even wearing any identification either. I am so glad he didn't run away!!!! I am definitely getting all three of the cats Microchipped ASAP.

He's snoozing soundly on the cat tree right now.

Last edited:

eck1kaylie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Okay, I just had a MAJOR scare!

My mom came in and told me that she hadn't seen Tesla in a while and he was not even coming out for treats, and he ALWAYS comes out for treats. We looked all over the house for him. And we were like "He couldn't have gotten out could he?" So we walk up to our sliding glass door and turn on the back porch light, and Tesla is sitting outside the door!!!! We had no clue he had even gotten out!!! Neither my mom or I had even been outside in several hours, and we both played with him after we came back in. So it must have been my dad who let him out!!! And my dad didn't even notice !!! And when we opened the door he ran back a little bit as if he was afraid of us. But then I shook the treats and he came running inside!!! Thank god he didn't run away! There are Coyotes in this area and he's just a kitten! I feel so bad! He must have been so scared! And we don't even know how long he was out there :( . His new collars haven't come in yet either so he wasn't even wearing any identification either. I am so glad he didn't run away!!!! I am definitely getting all three of the cats Microchipped ASAP.

He's snoozing soundly on the cat tree right now.

Oh no! I'm so glad you found him, that must have been quite a scare!

After reading this thread, I'm tempted to try Beastie Bands! My Ruby has a collar, but she doesn't wear it currently because she kept losing it.

raina21

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
UPDATE: I found Kiwi's collar.

My parents' bed has a thin lining on the bottom of their box spring, the cats ripped a hole in it and they climb in there and hide sometimes. Well it seems that when kiwi got her collar off, she went and hid it in that hole. I was able to get it. I put her tags on it and I put a light layer of glue on the edges so it can't fray as easy, but it is still just as stretchy and I only put the glue on the outside, so the part that touches her neck is still super soft- so don't worry.

Tesla's new collar should be here soon I hope. I just got the shipping notification today.

raina21

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Wow, Kiwi is very clever! :nod:
Yes she is! She hides her toys in that hole too. I found about 5 catnip mice in there with the collar. She also hides her toys in people's shoes. There's usually at least one catnip mouse in my dad's shoe every morning. Also, she pulls up our bathroom mat and slides her little "toys" (milk rings, bottle caps, things like that) underneath it.

She's been hiding things since she was a kitten though haha.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes she is! She hides her toys in that hole too. I found about 5 catnip mice in there with the collar. She also hides her toys in people's shoes. There's usually at least one catnip mouse in my dad's shoe every morning. Also, she pulls up our bathroom mat and slides her little "toys" (milk rings, bottle caps, things like that) underneath it.

She's been hiding things since she was a kitten though haha.
My Lilith takes things and hides them too. She used to take my DD's shower pouf out of the bathroom and hide it under my bed. I'd put it back and she'd go get it. Finally I told her that if she wanted one so bad, I'd give her one of her own so I took a new one out of the closet and gave it to her. She put it under the bed and then went and got DD's and hid it with her new one. 

She also takes my tweezers, pens, hair ties, etc. I had gotten an Amazon gift card for my birthday. It was on the coffee table when I went to to work. When I got home it was in my room next to the bed. She must have dropped it. I'd like to know what she was planning on ordering the next day when I wasn't home. 

Henry hides his catnip stuffies in all his favorite napping places and Sophie likes to take my Crocs from the entryway. I have a lightweight pair that I wear to walk the dog. She has taken them into the living room and the hallway. 

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Her own private stash!
  Good for her.

My folks' cat used to take these tiny ceramic mice that my mom had on a shelf and hide them under the rug in the hallway.  Once they learned this, they were careful to check under that rug before walking in there.  If it was rumpled, they KNEW he'd been at work in there