Battling Elevated Pancreatic Enzymes With My Cat For A Year Now

subster

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Greetings fellow pet lovers!
My male cat Kitush is a little over 10 years old now and an indoor cat. 12 months ago we did bloodwork on him as a regular check up and they found the pancreatic enzymes were elevated at 17 which had the veterinarian suspecting pancreatitis. However no clinical symptoms are present so the vet decided to put Kitush on a different diet to help lower these enzymes are check the blood again in 6 months. So 6 months later the bloodwork was done and it went down to 13 which is still elevated however it was decreasing. The vet said ok let's continue with this and check again in 6 months which was just recent. Unfortunately they went back up to 16. Still no symptoms so the vet said ok observe the cat closely and if there are any symptoms come back, otherwise we will do bloodwork in 6 months again.

My question is: After some research in regards to this, it seems both the diagnosis and therapy is quite complicated with pancreatitis in cats.
I'm asking if there are any natural/human foods that can help with lowering these enzymes or perhaps supplements to go along with the special cat food diet he's on.

Much appreciated!

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What is he eating? If he’s eating dry food, that has to be reduced or eliminated and replaced with highly digestible meat-based protein and moisture.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

subster

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the reply, hes actually on a mix of both dry and wet food (half a can of wet food daily). Both special cat food brands from the vet office.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Vets don't always have the best nutritional training or advice.

Meat-based protein triggers the release of stomach acid. Aciditity is needed for the pancreatic enzymes to be effective. Plant-based protein produces much less acidity. Starches, grains, and vegetables all reduce stomach acidity. I'm not a nutritonal expert myself. But it would seem that an inflammed pancreas plus reduced effectiveness of pancreatic enzymes spells bad news.

I'm really shocked that your cat has been asymptomatic. Pancreatitis can be a really brutal disease and very difficult to get a cat through it. Getting the cat to eat in the first place is usually the biggest challenge in pancreatitis. Pancreatitis often results in the release of the protective coating that encapsulates the digestive enzymes within the pancreas itself. The pancreas digests itself. It can be a very nauseating and painful disease. The longer it is allowed to continue, the greater the chance for scarring and impaired function. Left unchecked, you could end up with a diabetic cat that can't digest his food without enzyme supplements.

Has he had an ultrasound? That doesn't sound right that he would have elevated fPL for that long without symptoms. Ask the vet or get a second opinion about whether an ultrasound would provide a clear enough picture of what's going on with his pancreas right now (inflammation? scarring?) I would recommned a second opinion anyway if this one is recommending dry food for pancreatitis.

babiesmom5

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Having been down the rocky road of Pancreatitis with four cats, as well as having lost one beloved cat to this dreadful disease, I remain on "red alert" to it with my present two cats as well as to cats here.

As I have said repeatedly on this site, Pancreatitis does not happen in a vacuum. It is a symptom of a chronic underlying illness centered in or around the gastrointestinal area. In my case, it was diabetes once and IBD in the other cases.

Pancreatitis is often chronic, as it appears to be in your case. It can remain asymptomatic for a long time, like a smouldering ember, but then suddenly, for unexplained reasons, suddenly erupts into a wildfire which often can be fatal. Believe me, I know!

As daftcat75 daftcat75 recommended above, I strongly suggest a GI ultrasound to see what is causing the Pancreatitis.
I agree that the longer this inflammation is allowed to continue, it can result in scarring and compromised function of the pancreas leading to diabetes.

The only treatment strategies proven effective for pancreatitis are fluid therapy, pain management and nutritional support. The cat has to eat...but no dry food. The more moisture in the diet the better.

I have one cat now who has IBD and who developed very symptomatic Pancreatitis last summer. After three days in the ER, I have her now on strictly a high moisture content diet. She was on canned food before but after that bout, I switched her to all natural, grain, gluten free food in pouches. She gets Wellness Morsels, Weruva, Soulistic, BFF or Tiki Cat. The theory is to keep the pancreas bathed in fluids thus reducing inflammation.

So far, so good. No reoccurance of the Pancreatitis and her pancreatic levels are normal.

In addition to getting an ultrasound, I would also get a second opinion, preferably from an Internal Medicine Vet who is more knowledgeable and experienced in this area. Do not wait until a Pancreatitis flare!

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tiki Cat got Krista through pancreatitis. One blasted, doggone it, begging and bribing her to keep eating bite at a time.

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Apart from already suggested ultrasound, I would recommend x-ray with contrast to search for an underlying cause. My colleague had a cat with very symptomatic pancreatitis and only after a year of searching for a cause, they discovered that a piece of plastic was blocking his intestines. It was not seen on ultrasound, they just suspected the partial blockage observing the contrast movement and decided on checking surgery, and voila, they found a big part of a plastic bottle top. It must have been there for years.
Good luck Kitush!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

subster

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Vets don't always have the best nutritional training or advice.

Meat-based protein triggers the release of stomach acid. Aciditity is needed for the pancreatic enzymes to be effective. Plant-based protein produces much less acidity. Starches, grains, and vegetables all reduce stomach acidity. I'm not a nutritonal expert myself. But it would seem that an inflammed pancreas plus reduced effectiveness of pancreatic enzymes spells bad news.

I'm really shocked that your cat has been asymptomatic. Pancreatitis can be a really brutal disease and very difficult to get a cat through it. Getting the cat to eat in the first place is usually the biggest challenge in pancreatitis. Pancreatitis often results in the release of the protective coating that encapsulates the digestive enzymes within the pancreas itself. The pancreas digests itself. It can be a very nauseating and painful disease. The longer it is allowed to continue, the greater the chance for scarring and impaired function. Left unchecked, you could end up with a diabetic cat that can't digest his food without enzyme supplements.

Has he had an ultrasound? That doesn't sound right that he would have elevated fPL for that long without symptoms. Ask the vet or get a second opinion about whether an ultrasound would provide a clear enough picture of what's going on with his pancreas right now (inflammation? scarring?) I would recommned a second opinion anyway if this one is recommending dry food for pancreatitis.
Thank you for so much information, so the next check up the plan is to do an ultrasound and xray if the numbers dont lower. and thank you for the links I will do some heavy research today. I did read to feed little but often as opposed to heavy 1-2 times a day.
Having been down the rocky road of Pancreatitis with four cats, as well as having lost one beloved cat to this dreadful disease, I remain on "red alert" to it with my present two cats as well as to cats here.

As I have said repeatedly on this site, Pancreatitis does not happen in a vacuum. It is a symptom of a chronic underlying illness centered in or around the gastrointestinal area. In my case, it was diabetes once and IBD in the other cases.

Pancreatitis is often chronic, as it appears to be in your case. It can remain asymptomatic for a long time, like a smouldering ember, but then suddenly, for unexplained reasons, suddenly erupts into a wildfire which often can be fatal. Believe me, I know!

As daftcat75 daftcat75 recommended above, I strongly suggest a GI ultrasound to see what is causing the Pancreatitis.
I agree that the longer this inflammation is allowed to continue, it can result in scarring and compromised function of the pancreas leading to diabetes.

The only treatment strategies proven effective for pancreatitis are fluid therapy, pain management and nutritional support. The cat has to eat...but no dry food. The more moisture in the diet the better.

I have one cat now who has IBD and who developed very symptomatic Pancreatitis last summer. After three days in the ER, I have her now on strictly a high moisture content diet. She was on canned food before but after that bout, I switched her to all natural, grain, gluten free food in pouches. She gets Wellness Morsels, Weruva, Soulistic, BFF or Tiki Cat. The theory is to keep the pancreas bathed in fluids thus reducing inflammation.

So far, so good. No reoccurance of the Pancreatitis and her pancreatic levels are normal.

In addition to getting an ultrasound, I would also get a second opinion, preferably from an Internal Medicine Vet who is more knowledgeable and experienced in this area. Do not wait until a Pancreatitis flare!
Thank you very much for such an informative response as well! pain management and nutritional support sound pretty self explanatory, however what entails 'fluid therapy'?

Thank you everyone for such supporting answers! I will keep you updated and make a plan very soon, ultrasound sounds like an immediate thing to do.

babiesmom5

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If the cat is hospitalized for Pancreatitis, "fluid therapy" is by IV fluids. If cat is outpatient, sub-q fluids are given either at vet's office and/or at home.

It is always a good idea to keep a pancreatitis cat well hydrated through food with high moisture content.

I am glad you are pursuing an ultrasound.