Bathrooms

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In my first childhood home we had 2 bathrooms. Upstairs bathroom had the tub, toilet and sink, downstairs had the shower, toilet and sink. After parents divorce, Mom's apartment had one bathroom, full with tub and shower combo and the new house we (Dad, me sister) moved into (after Dad got together with his second wife) had 2, one full with tub and shower combo (upstairs), and one with shower (downstairs). We did renovations to that house adding a second story to it, so we ended up with 4 bathrooms, one of them was a master on-suite with a soaker tub, and the other had a shower. The renovations were because my Dad's new wife wanted to run a B&B. On one side was the master bed/bath, and the other side was strictly for the B&B (two bedrooms and a bathroom), with a sitting area in the center. Eventually Mom got a house with her new beau, and it had one full bathroom with a tub shower combo, then when they moved, she had 2, both full, one up and one down stairs.
After we got rid of Dad's second wife, having all the extra B&B space worked out really well because Number three (and still current...third time's a charm! lol!) had kids of her own, so everybody had their own space. And now that they are all gone, Dad took in his wife's parents to care for, so there's lots of room for 4 adults who all are set in their ways...plus room for the grand kids to spend the night.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We had one bathroom. Most of the time it was mom, me, my sister, and my grandfather. For a while around when my sister was born, my father lived there but that was brief. No shower, we only had a bathtub. We managed. I never had a shower until I was 9 or 10 and visited my aunt for a few days. She was a nurse's aide and lived in a little apartment with a shower. I loved it.

Now it's just the two of us, him and me, and we have 2 1/2 bathroom. The master bathroom (his) has a tub and a walk in shower. The guest bathroom (mine) has a tub/shower. Both bathrooms have 2 sinks. More than we need, but I hope to never have to go back to only one bathroom.

Pywacket21

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My dad was a builder , was always starting a new subdivision. We moved into them, yearly. As best I remember, each house had at least one full bathroom and a 1/2 bath. When I got married, our apartments and first house had one full bath. The second house had been owned by elderly ladies, and had REALLY steep stairs to second floor bath, which had a ball foot cast iron tub. I managed to slide down those steps. Sprained my shoulder. But they used the wasted space under the steps for a toilet and sink. Genius!! Last summer I had the tub here taken out, converted to a walk in shower. Love it!!

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
We had 6 people, 1 tiny bathroom, no shower. However, by the time I can remember, 2 of those people (my much-older brothers) had moved out. My house has 2 1/2 baths. Hubby and I have separate bathrooms, and I wouldn't change it for the world (he sheds, LOL). Out 1/2 bath downstairs in only 3 feet wide, by about 7 feet long. This is the only bathroom where the cats sit outside when I'm in it. I laugh when I'm on the toilet, and see the sip of a tail under the door. I guess they think I need adult feline supervision. This Saturday, we're having someone from a bath renno place coming over to look at the upstairs bathrooms.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
There were five of us in the house with one bathroom. Now we have a bathroom on each floor. The upstairs has a shower/tub combo and the downstairs has only a shower. Abby's litter box is in the downstairs shower though so it does not get used.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Four of us growing up with one bathroom like so many others here have posted. I don't think multiple bathrooms were as popular then or at least not that I can recall. The first apartment DH and I lived in had one bathroom but when we bought our own home we made sure to have at least two. Our present home has 2 1/2 baths but if I could change anything it would be double sinks, DH is sloppy. :lol:

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Let's see . . . My parents owned a Victorian sort of house in Brooklyn. The two of them, the three of us, my grandmother and an aunt. There was a relatively modern bathroom at the back on the first / ground floor. a full bath on the second floor plus a charming little sink in a pass through space - not a closet, door at each room - between the master bedroom and another bedroom (which might once upon a time have been used as a nursery) and a full bathroom on the third floor.

When my grandmother and aunt moved out, my sister graduated from college and married that house was sold and my parents rented a full floor apartment in a private home. Landlord and his family upstairs, my parents, my younger brother and I downstairs, with one bathroom.

Fast forward a few decades (my fingers are getting tired) and we currently have a full bathroom on the main floor, a bathroom en suite upstairs with the guest room, and a master bath en suite with the master bedroom that is so huge it really should have a couple of those statues of semi-naked Greeks clutching their draperies - two sinks on opposite sides of the room, two toilets ditto, a large jacuzzi tub we never use and would like to replace, and a very large shower with sliding glass doors on two opposite sides so it is a walk-through. For two people.

allmykitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When I was growing up, there was one bathroom and a half-bath in my parents' room. (Family of 4). Then they remodeled the garage into a separate apartment for my paternal grandmother (so a new bathroom, but just for her). After she passed away, they remodeled again to turn that into more of a formal dining room (large enough that we can all eat in there when my brother and I come back for Thanksgiving with our families). They also remodeled and now have a full bath in their bedroom.

In my house (which was the house my mother grew up in), there are two bathrooms. One downstairs, one upstairs. When my mom was growing up, there was only the downstairs (and she grew up with a family of six--her parents, two sisters and a brother). When I first moved here, it was me and my four children (three sons, one daughter). The boys got the upstairs room (one large room sufficient space for all three of them--it is almost half the size of the entire downstairs), so the upstairs bathroom was theirs. My daughter and I shared the downstairs bathroom. Now, all but my youngest son have moved out, so we each have our own bathrooms.