Bathrooms

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
When you were a child and living with your parents, how many bathrooms did you have?
How many bathrooms do you have now in your home or apartment?

When I was growing up, we had one bathroom for the five of us (parents, me, sister, and brother). We always made do and were fine. The worst part was that Mom never let anybody take a shower; we all had to take baths. She didn't want to clean the bath, other than the tub.

Today, Rick and I still have one bathroom. For the most part, it's fine because we each have our own sinks. When we remodeled the bathroom, we got rid of the bathtub and installed a shower. We're happy with it.

What about you?

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
1 for 7 people.

1 for 2 people. I do find adjusting to having someone else there long term a bit difficult. But having 9 people for 4 or 5 days and one bathroom, we managed. You do your hair and things in other spaces and are just generally mindful about usage.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Until I was twelve we moved every 3 years (Air Force brat), so living situations were vastly different. One time we were temporarily housed in a single wide mobile with 1 very tiny bathroom and there was me, my sister, mom and dad and grandma. In Germany I believe it was the same, only at base housing. 1 bathroom, me, my sister, mom and dad.

When my dad retired, they bought a house with 2 and 1/2 baths, but not a suite off the main bedroom, so I shared a bathroom with my folks upstairs and my older sister got a bathroom to herself downstairs until she moved out and I moved into her room.

Now my hubby and I have a 2 and 1/2 bath and it's just the two of us. They all get used! Maybe so many bathroom is a West/Southwest thing? You know...newer homes :dunno:

KittyFriday

🐱
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Starting out, there was one bathroom for four people. My parents did eventually build on to their house and add another bathroom, and they renovated an outbuilding and added a bathroom out there, so by the time I graduated high school we had three (though the outbuilding one is rarely used).

I currently live in a house with one bathroom. It's just me, so no issue. Less to clean!

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Growing up in a 24 x 24 ft house, we had one bathroom for all of us. My first house was quite small and also only had one bathroom. Current house has a creepy toilet only bathroom in the basement - I never use it but it’s handy when I have someone working on the house; a large guest/family bathroom with tub/shower combo; and a small, recently renovated bathroom with shower off of my room.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I was a child? We had none. We had an outhouse for answering nature's call, and baths were taken in a wash tub in a corner of the kitchen, using water heated on the wood stove, as there was no running water in the house. There was a cistern pump for handwashing, though.
Now, our house has a full bath upstairs, and a powder room downstairs
EDIT: When I was a kid, there were 10 of us living in that old farmhouse. There were my parents, 7 kids, and an uncle. It made things.....interesting at times..

Last edited:

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We had one full bathroom with tub and shower upstairs and a half bathroom downstairs. There were 7 of us. Now I have 2 bathrooms. One bathroom has a tub/shower and the other only has a shower. There was 3 of us. DH passed away and DD is grown and on her own so it's just me. The girls have 5 litter boxes.

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I was a child? We had none. We had an outhouse for answering nature's call, and baths were taken in a wash tub in a corner of the kitchen, using water heated on the wood stove, as there was no running water in the house. There was a cistern pump for handwashing, though.
Now, our house has a full bath upstairs, and a powder room downstairs
EDIT: When I was a kid, there were 10 of us living in that old farmhouse. There were my parents, 7 kids, and an uncle. It made things.....interesting at times..
Neither did we! Living in London after the war, there was a shortage of housing. My parents moved into a "flat", which was simply the upstairs part of a small one-family house. The existing bathroom had been turned into a kitchen; the tiny room with a WC was halfway up the stairs (probably shared with the tenants on the ground floor); and a tin bath, placed in front of the fire, was used to bath the three children - water being heated on a gas stove. Outside, the open areas overgrown with weeds were called bombsites - but as small children we had no idea what that word meant. We used the words arsenal and Nissen huts with no idea what they implied and it never occurred to us to ask why in some multi-storey buildings we could see fully furnished bathrooms, sitting rooms and bedrooms completely exposed to the elements, though it was obvious that nobody could possibly enter such rooms without the danger of falling out onto the street below.

The next house had one bathroom (bath tub, no shower ..... and no bombsites in the area) - but we soon became a family of 8 and the younger children were often washed in front of a coal fire before being put to bed. At least the WC was separate!

Once out of student accommodation, my husband and I always had one or 2 bathrooms (plus a separate WC) for a family of 4. I now have just one bathroom - which will hopefully soon be converted into a wet-room - plus a separate WC with wash basin mainly for guests.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
We moved so many times when I was growing up that it changed constantly, but anywhere from one (when I was a toddler) to three (when I was in high school) for four people, not counting half baths.

We currently have two full and one half bath for two people and two cats. We never use one of the full baths: I've set it up with the cats' litter boxes and litter supplies.

OopsyDaisy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We only had one full bathroom for 4 of us growing up. No shower, just a bath. Showers were not popular back then. I have 2 full and 1 half bath now for myself, my husband and my grown son who comes and goes.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It varied depending on where we lived. My mom and I had an attic apartment once with a shower so short mom had to kneel to use it. (She's 5'3") She bought a really nice single-wide trailer after that and we had our own bathrooms. But that meant I had to clean my own too. When she remarried I think we always had 2 in the house; but I could have up to 4 other people to share it with. It wasn't usually an issue.

We have always had 2 since I got married. DH had bought a single-wide trailer (not as nice as the one mom and I had) but the smaller one we had the litter box in so it didn't get used even by company. The bigger one wasn't directly attached to the bedroom like a true master bath.

Our house here has 2 bathrooms. We need to get the shower fixed in the hall bath so the kids still shower in my bathroom; which has the only tub in the house. Having 2 toilets has been more important than having 2 places to shower at once. :lol:

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I grew up in a small house with 5 people and 2 bedrooms and 1 bathroom. When my grandmother moved in my father put in two more bedrooms and another bathroom in the attic. The last house I lived in had 2 bedrooms, 1 bathroom and me and 8 cats living there. There was a room in the basement where I could have put in another bathroom but I never got around to it.

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When we moved into this house,there was a tub and shower combo in the bathroom.I always hated the tub,so at the first opportunity,it went out to the pasture for a cattle waterer (I know,but that happens out here a lot) and we got a shower unit instead,which I love.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My house growing up had 1.5 bathrooms, though no one liked the toilet in the laundry room. It was annoying having only one shower when I was a teenager, so when my husband and I were house shopping I made at least two full bathrooms one of my non negotiables. We have two bathrooms for the three of us now.

MeezeIfYouPlz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The house I grew up in had three bedrooms and one bath, for my parents and six kids. I shared a bedroom with my four sisters and my brother got a room all to himself. 😏 The home we own now is a four bedroom, three bath for the two of us. We bought this home with our animals in mind.

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Growing up we were a family of 4 with 1 bathroom. When we were shopping for a house 30 years ago with 3 young kids I wanted at least 2 bathrooms. It took some talking because my husband fell in love with a house that only had 1 bathroom. I loved it too- the wood work was phenomenal! I knew having the kids just 18 months apart, and one being a girl that when they hit their teens we would be having wars over bathroom time. Instead we bought this house, half bath downstairs, full bath for the kids(tub/shower combo) and the master bath has a shower. The baths all need updating but it isn’t in the budget for the foreseeable future.