Bathroom time?

faeleen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Fae has been spending a lot of time out and about- she runs around the house and plays- All good things! She is so full of energy, which I can understand after being in a cage a the humane society. Anyway, since she spends so much time out with us, should there be designated potty times where she goes in the bathroom with her litter box? There have not been any accidents, and she uses it well- it just seems while she out she will not go to it at all and I'm worried for her tummy.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

faeleen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She is 8 weeks old

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
If I am reading correctly, you have 1 litter box available to her? Where is it located in relation to other parts of the house she spends time in? Is your home one story or multiple?

How many times a day is she using her litter box?

Often, it is a good idea to have more than 1 litter box available to such a young kitten. However, if she isn't having accidents (check EVERYWHERE...corners of the room, under furniture, in beds, etc...) then you might can get away with just the one...especially if you live in a small space (like a single bedroom apartment.)

faeleen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We have a single floor apartment. My other 2 cats have a litter robot, but she is way to small to even climb into it. she has access to the full home except two of the bed rooms. The bathroom has her litter box and she probably makes a potty 3-4x a day in it. I just worry because she will eat and be really full- then run around for an hour then a nap. Doesn't she need to go potty?

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
It certainly won't hurt to take her to the litter box after each meal. I wouldn't leave her locked up for more than 5-10 mins tops.

I would expect a young kitten to go potty (urinate) more frequently than 3-4 times daily; but, there are always exceptions to the rule.

Is she drinking any water? Does she eat canned food?

faeleen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She does go to the water bowl several times a day, but she plays in it a lot too. We have 3 down around the apartment. She came to us on Purina one dry but she now eats blue wilderness kitten wet- I also add a tiny bit extra water to it (make it easier to mix her l-lysine and probiotic in). We do offer her blue wilderness kitten dry but she has been perfering the wet so she gets that 3x a day (and she will eat 1 separate bowl of dry).