bathing cats

jubilscats3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
how often should i give my cats a bath? and is it neccessary?

hell603

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
it is not necessary to bath cats - they are very good at cleaning themselves. All you will accomplish is to wash all the natural oils out of there fur. By the way have you ever tried bathing one?

jojo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm also curious about bathing. Dani's very fussy about keeping clean but she's beginning to get a mild odor. Is there a dry shampoo I could use, how about a sprinkling of baking soda and then a good brushing? She's almost terrified of water. Any help would be appreciated.

JoJo and Dani Night Stalker

donna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The only time I ever bathe any of my cats (except for MooShoo, who is hairless) is when they really can't get clean by themselves (poo stuck to tail, etc). MooShoo get a bath every 2 weeks because he is hairless and his skin oil has no where to go. It forms a ring around his neck. That is my clue to bathe him. So unless you cat is filthy and desperately needs a bath, I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

A secret someone told me is to put your cat in a lingerie bag and zip it up with his head sticking out(one of those little white bags you use to wash your pantyhose, delicates in). Place a towel or rubber mat on the bottom of the sink or the tub. Cats like warm not cool water. I use tearless kitty/cat shampoo. Place your cat on the mat or towel to let him know he's got something to grab onto. Pour clear bath water over him (up to his neck, never in eyes or ears, I use a washcloth for that) and lather him up with shampoo (if you don't have any cat shampoo, blue Dawn dishwashing soap is the one closest to a cat's PH.) Once lathered, rinse thoroughly. Let him shake off all the water. Then dry with a big warm bath towel. He might be a little annoyed with you but don't worry, they get over it.

Good luck.

Donna

dodo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi,

Although my cats are strictly indoor cats, I wash them once every 1-1.5 month. I have started bathing Minnosh when she was around 2 months old (now she is 3) so she got used to it. She is not scared of water; she visits me while I'm bathing, sits on the bath tub & watches me or tries to play with the water from the tap while I'm washing my hands

They clean themselves but they actually cover themselves with cat spit
And when combined with their natural oils, their fur become kind of sticky, or flatter or I don't know...When you wash them, their fur become shinier, fluffy & softer. Well, that's my idea

I think instead of baking soda, people use cornstarch baby powder for waterless bath. Never use talc powder however, cause it may cause serious respiratory problems when ingested from the nose/mouth.

Washing cats help some people who have cat allergies.

sfell

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I bathe mine about twice a year but I started bathing them when they were kittens so they aren't difficult to handle. However, they still don't like it. Buttons meows these horrible loud meows when I am bathing her. Toonces is my easiest to bathe. I can actually let go of her for a second and she won't try and jump out. I think it's because she had to have water therapy as a kitten so she's used to water.

When I worked at a vet clinic I was the animal bather so I can definitely see how someone could have a problem bathing a cat if they have never done it before.

dtolle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I had to give Sunshine a bath after I got her. It was NOT an easy task, but it wasn't a horrible experience either. I did it in the kitchen sink. I used very warm water and baby shampoo. I also wore rubber gloves ( the yellow kitchen kind ), which really helped with holding her. I just held her by the scruff of the neck and applied pressure to her back so she couldn't jump out. Once she stopped squirming, I was able to wash her and rinse her fairly well. She looked like a drowned rat when I was done!!
And she was not so happy with me. But it was worth it once she dried off, her coat was very fluffy and she smelled sooooo good.:tounge2: By the way, I only bathed her because of a minor flea problem we had, and I wouldn't attempt it again unless it was absolutley necessary!!!

catstruct'n max

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
In my experience, showering a cat is much easier than bathing -- especially if you have a glass door on your shower....

I go in there with Fargo about once a month. He has overproductive oil glands and gets very dingy if I don't. He complains a little but that's about it. There is really no way for him to run, so he just moves around from one corner to the next, and I follow him with shampoo and/or a rinse cup. Works great with Maxwell too.

However, I'm not sure the "free range shower" concept would work very well if you only have a shower curtain. And I don't particularly recommend picking them up until you're done.... ....they might see the air space above the door and make a break for it -- leaving traction skidmarks right up your torso as he goes....

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Check out this links for bathing instrucitons:
http://www.thecatsite.com/grooming/bath.html

I don't wash my cats unless they are particularly dirty for some reason. It rarely happens. If a cat begins to smell, you should consult the vet. Teeth or internal problems can cause bad smell.

illusion

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This is the most amazing thing: Gus LOVES the tub! My sister had him in the bathroom with her while filling up the tub and he hopped right in and just walked around, and the water was almost up to his neck. My sister has since put him in the tub many times and he just doesn't seem to care. I don't think we'll have any problem bathing him if the need arises.

I had my sister bathe Sateycat for me last time he was bathed. I found that he acts better for her. Kind of like when dentists ask the parents not to come in the room with their kids because the kids tend to behave better

Donna: Thanks for the tip on Dawn dishwashing detrgent. I look for shampoos which are both dog and cat friendly in case we need to bathe the cats, but sometimes you just can't find any. Now I'll know what to use in a pinch.

sandie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just a tip with the Dawn dishsoap. It is much easier to rinse out if you mix it in a cup of water before you pour it on the cat. Dawn is very tough to rinse out if you put it on straight.

regina

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just wanted to add to Sandie's last post that you can actually dilute regular pet shampoo in water. It's still effective but makes it a lot easier to rinse out of their fur and therefore shortens the time they must endure the "water torture". Just mix up a cup of dilute shampoo and pour it over the cat's back, massage in a bit and rinse off with the sprayer on low volume (but do the head separately with a damp washcloth or cotton ball to keep water and soap out of the ears and eyes). About 10 years ago I had two ferrets who needed bathing on a monthly basis (they're stinky little creatures!) and so came up with this technique.

Regina