Bathing a Kitten

tigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My vet said it would be a good idea to give little Gizmo a bath, sort of like a fresh start. He said to give him a sponge bath.
Do you have any other suggestions? I know he told me to use a hair dryer at low heat and at a long distance to dry him, but I don't want to scare him with the loud sounds!
When I used to give Tigger a bath, I would just bundle her up in a bunch of towels until she was dry. I thought of doing this....would it be better to do it this way? Or are kittens more likely to catch cold if you don't use a dryer?

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Isn't he too young for a bath? If he's not terribly dirty, I would wait till he's a t least 12 weeks old. He's also under stress from the change and I don't think you want the added stress of a bath right now.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Unless there is an underlying reason for him to have a bath-ringworm, or lice, I would wait. Kittens are really susceptible to colds, and even though you think they are warm, they usually are catching a chill. If there are a lot of fleas on him, then you can use a pair of tweezers, a strong light and go flea hunting and just squish the fleas you find. But I would really wait to bathe him.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I ended up having to give him a bath on Saturday! He stepped in his litter & it got ALL over him. It was so disgusting & he smelled!!
Now he smells nice & pretty! He looked like a drowned rat...... Then, Sunday, he stepped in it again & got it all in between his back paws..... So, I bought some of those Ktty Wiped from Petsmart. They worked ok, but his little toes are so sharp, that it was hard to clean!

sandie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You should clip his nails every week right now anyway. He will need to get used to it and kittens nails grow at an amazing pace.

donna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tigger,

I have a Sphynx that is famous for going into the litterbox and not covering his poop. He ends up stepping in it. Then he wants to cuddle in my bed. EEEEWWWW!!! I have gotten out of bed many times in the middle of the night to bathe him because he smells SO BAD!! (word of advice, DO NOT BATHE A CAT WHILE NAKED!)
. Anyway, I finally started closing him out of my room. I don't know what else to do. He just doesn't get it. It may be because he was taken from his mother too soon. Who knows??
love him no matter what, though.

donna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hell603,

I got smart and picked up a package of wipes, sort of like an "instant bath". I have had to use them yet (knock on wood!). He still gets annoyed but too bad! Better annoyed than smelly!!

deb25

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Donna:

I'm glad to hear I don't have the only cat in the world who doesn't bury his poop. Joey is 2 and still doesn't bury. Fortunately, Squirt must hate it too, because he goes in after Joey and buries. If that isn't brotherly love...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I bought some of those Instant wipes, too! I got the from PetsMart. They seem to work good, so far. And, it makes them smell so nice! Does yours smell like baby powder?