Hello guys
I was wondering if anyone can tell me how often I should bathe my kitten/cat
A vet told me once a month and I've red online twice o year

Attachments

PMousse

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't bathe my cat. In fact, I've never bathed my cats. Cats are fastidious animals and clean themselves every day, and that is good enough for me. Most cats don't like water, and I'm not prepared to fight that battle lol.

What I do, on the other hand, is to keep my floors and counters clean all the time. My cat lounges everywhere and I don't want him to inhale a lot of dust when he licks his fur.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have never ever washed my cats. Any of them. My mom washes the behind of her incontinent almost 22 year old cat. But otherwise the great thing about cats is they are self cleaning! No need to bath them. Plus most of them hate it. There is no point.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most of the time, cats simply don't need baths.

Here are some situations where you might want to give a bath (and in many cases a "sponge bath" might be good enough):
  • If the cat gets something on its coat that is dangerous to lick off
  • A sick cat might get diarrhea on itself
  • Sometimes an older cat can no longer keep itself clean
  • A vet might prescribe a medicated bath for fungus (ringworm) or other condition
  • If family members have allergies to the cat, bathing the cat might help reduce humans' allergic reactions
  • You are showing the cat in a cat show

banana queen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Cats are self cleaning unless they are hairless or too old/sick/fat to clean themselves all over effectively, or have a skin condition that requires it.

My five cats have had only had a few baths in their entire life, usually because they did something like walk through wet paint or pee in the carrier halfway home from the vet. The last time I bathed Amber, she ended up soaking wet and clinging to my head.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
My show cats get a bath before every show. The others haven't had a bath in years.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

NabilBen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Okay guys... I see
Thank you for your help 😺😻😽

soleiil

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've only bathed my two when necessary like if one had an accident in the carrier. Or if there's a dried on poop dried onto their paws that hasn't been cleaned for a few days (and won't come off with wipes). Whether they get a full bath or not depends on what it is. I also use an infant tub with grips on the inside so their paws don't slip around. Although I will add that mine are unusually tolerant of many things lol.

kittenmittens84

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I’ve only ever bathed my cat when he got poop all over himself and one time when he had an unfortunate run-in with some melted peanut butter.

LAL

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I’ve only ever bathed my cat when he got poop all over himself and one time when he had an unfortunate run-in with some melted peanut butter.
Being nosy and asking to hear about the melted peanut butter?

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
NabilBen NabilBen
One time.......as a general rule, after you bathe a cat once, you won't do it again. :lol:
Heres a tip.

If your large tom cat gets sprayed by a skunk you should NOT douse it with tomato juice, strip naked, carry the cat into a small shower enclosure and turn on the water........just saying. :sniffle::sniffle:

Skitter took off for two days. When he returned the tomato juice had dried and stuck to him. He looked angry and humiliated.

The scars took almost two years to completely fade away. (Skitter had no scars, other than emotional).

That was over 25 years ago. I have never bathed a cat since.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

NabilBen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yup I learnt it by the hard way now 😅
My kitten taught me a lesson

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine will rip you to shreds if you try to give him a bath. But once dried off, you had better have drained the water....else he'll be right back in the tub.
Then you get shredded trying to get him back out. :lol:

kittenmittens84

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Being nosy and asking to hear about the melted peanut butter?
:D I made two pieces of toast and spread peanut butter on them, and when I turned around for one second to put something away my cat had stretched his front paws up onto the counter, pulled on the edge of the plate, which catapulted the toast into the air and directly onto his back. It was really hard to get out of his fur, what a nightmare