bath time

annabelle33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
how do i give this cat a bath.? He doesn't mind being wet as long as it's from rain so i thought it would be easy.. but NOOOO.. I can't even get him in the bathtub.. Should I just toss him in and run or is there some way to ease him into it? I've been trying to ease him in for months now and it doesn't work.. help@!!

hell603

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My first question is why??? Cats are naturally clean animals and generally do not need to be bathed. However if it becomes necessary for one reason or another I opt fot the groomer. Call me a coward but I let someone else be the bad guy.

rfox

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I give amber a bath to try and cut down on the amount of hairs! also, I believe it helps to keep them clean, in addition to them cleaning themselves.

the tub may be too scary for him, with the running water and such. plus its killer on the back!

I put amber in the bathroom sink. first, clear out any breakables or things you do not want cat hair on and fill the sink with warm water. make sure the door is closed! wear clothes that you can throw in the hamper right after.

have LOTS of towels ready and the shampoo. also a small cup helps for pouring over her. dont get the head wet though. I always keep a hand on her neck otherwise she will bolt. towel dry really good before letting out.

amber is not a biter or a scratcher, so this is just an example of how i do it. your results may vary!

good luck!

creepyowl

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Try putting a window screen at the bottom of the tub. It gives the cat something to dig its claws in. I haven't tried it, but I read about it and they say it works. Its worth a try.

I agree taking the kitten to the groomers. I'm only given Emmett a bath twice. Once he jumped in the shower with me so I shampooed him and I gave him a bath before I took him to get fixed. I didn't realize such a small kitten could be so strong. I'm making an apointment for the groomers soon so I don't have to be the big meanie

sicycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by Hell603
My first question is why??? Cats are naturally clean animals and generally do not need to be bathed. However if it becomes necessary for one reason or another I opt fot the groomer. Call me a coward but I let someone else be the bad guy.
That's what I was wondering! lol

I have never bathed any of my cats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

annabelle33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
roxy is an outdoor cat and he's also satan spawn.. So this means he likes to play in tree sap, tar, and anything else sticky. I spot clean him now and then, but I wanted to give him a full bath to make sure he's all comfy.. Sometimes he'll get twigs stuck to his back from the pine sap.. It's very interesting what he can get into..

The thing is, although he's outdoor he likes to come in when he wants, and I try to accommodate, but there are sometimes he's just dirty. He does clean himself, but he cleans himself the way I clean my house--half assed. Sure eventually he gets clean but usually he's too busy reaping havoc. The thing about him is, we have wetlands on some of our property, and he thinks nothing of walking through a few inches of water.. So it should be easy right?? WRONG-O!! He also loves to play in the rain. I'm always worried he's going to catch cold with how wet he always is, but he won't let me clean him. Plus he always has mud up to his tummy because he loves mud puddles.

I can't wait to get him inside for good, but I have to wait til I move, and even then I have a feeling he will be getting himself dirty.. I shoulda named him pig pen.. Something funny is he loves to stick his nose in the water bowl.. He does it like a million times a day for no reason, then he'll knock the water bowl over and play in the water. Did I mention he's kind of feisty?

hell603

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried DRY SHAMPOO. The have something called Veterinarian's Best Dry Clean Waterless Cat Bath at Petco. You are supposed to "massage in the fresh, leave-on foam and it cleans, detangles, moisturizes, and leaves your cat's coat soft and shiny."

Never tried it.

It contains Neem oil - never hear of it - is that an essential oil? If so don't purchase since essential oil can have very bad neurologial effects on cats.

creepyowl

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hey my cat likes to play in his water bowl too...I really don't understand that aspect. He usually splashes around and makes a big mess for me to clean. He also shoves his nose in the water bowl too and come up sneezing. He does that while in the bath tub too. Cats are weird that is for sure.