Basic question here

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
I really know nothing about cat breed/genetics, etc.  I've only ever had rescue cats and never paid attention to breeds.  Last year, I 'inherited' some cats from a friend who passed and I discovered that one of them is a snowshoe.  I've come to learn that that's a rare breed, and a new one.  I've read that these cats are known for being affectionate, intelligent, vocal, and like water, for example.  Travis has all of these traits.

I guess my question is--can 'personality' traits be bred into an animal?  Can you actually choose a cat based on what the breed is supposed to be known for and expect the cat to be like that?  

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
While there are always varying exceptions, I'd say for the most part, yes.

This is mainly due to it's origin.

There are some controversies saying this, but in studies they have pretty much said that alot of the color/breed traits are based on the origin. 

By the way, I LOVE the look of snowshoe cats, one of my all time faves.

Female snowshoes are not as easy going later in life, from what I have seen at least, and I can live without all the vocalizing, unless it's some sweet tiny mew, haha not usually :)

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise

I really know nothing about cat breed/genetics, etc.  I've only ever had rescue cats and never paid attention to breeds.  Last year, I 'inherited' some cats from a friend who passed and I discovered that one of them is a snowshoe.  I've come to learn that that's a rare breed, and a new one.  I've read that these cats are known for being affectionate, intelligent, vocal, and like water, for example.  Travis has all of these traits.

I guess my question is--can 'personality' traits be bred into an animal?  Can you actually choose a cat based on what the breed is supposed to be known for and expect the cat to be like that?  
It's an excellent question. I think dog breeds have more pronounced "personality" traits because they're mostly older breeds which were bred for work purposes. As for cats, I think there are definitely behavioral characteristics to certain older breeds, so Persians are more relaxed and passive, and Siamese are more vocal and active. Yet, my theory is that because new breeds are affected by scores given at cat shows, the emphasis is on appearances and not on behavior (other than general "good behavior" expected from show cats). I would hazard a guess that real purebred pedigreed cats are less aggressive than the general population but that other behavioral traits may be less prominent. They simply are not bred for behavior patterns in the same way dogs are. 

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
By the way, I don't think Prof. Lyons will be back for replies and the forum will be closed and archived by Monday.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

betsygee

Staff Member
Purraise

By the way, I don't think Prof. Lyons will be back for replies and the forum will be closed and archived by Monday.
Thanks for the response, Anne.  Your answer makes sense.   

I realized after I'd posted that I probably wouldn't get a response from Dr. Lyons--I saw your other post thanking her for being here.  :-)  

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

betsygee

Staff Member
Purraise

While there are always varying exceptions, I'd say for the most part, yes.

This is mainly due to it's origin.

There are some controversies saying this, but in studies they have pretty much said that alot of the color/breed traits are based on the origin. 

By the way, I LOVE the look of snowshoe cats, one of my all time faves.

Female snowshoes are not as easy going later in life, from what I have seen at least, and I can live without all the vocalizing, unless it's some sweet tiny mew, haha not usually :)
Right.  I can see where color and size, etc. could be bred--but personality traits?  It doesn't make as much sense to me. I could also say that some of my other cats are intelligent and affectionate, and they're just plain old 'moggies'.  

I may do some more reading on the subject, it's interesting to me.

Like I mentioned, I know nothing about pedigree cats and didn't even know what a snowshoe was until my vet told me that's what Travis is.  LOL  I do love his markings.  And vocal--yep, he's got that in spades.  Travis is the cat I mentioned in another thread as being a "marble-mouth".  He would yowl-meow so loud, and deep from his throat so it sounded like somebody was being murdered....with marbles in their mouth!  
   He's settled down over the past year as he's got more used to life with us but if he wants out of the cat room, or he hasn't been fed by 6:30 a.m., he's 'vocal' all right.  

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I was looking into getting a snowshoe at one time.  From what I read the gene that controls those white markings is difficult if not impossible to control yet the show standards for those white markings are very exact.  Many if not most responsible breeders show their cats and want a high ranking for their breeding cats.  That's difficult to do with the Snowshoe because of that gene, not because of their abilities as a breeder but because of the nature of the gene.

profleslielyons

TCS Member
Guest Expert
Purraise
Howdy ho,

This was my first time doing one of these forums and I was surprised to find others would answer the questions - which were often correct.  Yes, one of the big purposes for promoting specific breeds is that you do have personaility traits that are more predictable in a breed cat than in a random bred cat.  Siamese have very different personalities than Persians, Abyssinians yet also unique.  But still, each cat is an individual and cats also develop their personalities based on life experiences as well.  Good luck with the kitty!