Bartonella experience? I can't find much info online

RookieCatOwner

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I was "adopted" by an older stray female but she's obviously been a pet before. She's so loving and immediately knew how to use the litter box, etc. She wasn't chipped and no one claimed her so I decided to keep her. She's been with me for about 2 months now and she's had eye boogers since I got her. At first, the vet gave her an antibiotic shot with her vaccinations but her eye boogers didn't go away so I took her back in and they said she has Bartonella (cat scratch fever) which I didn't even know was a real thing! (First time cat owner, here) so they gave me 2 weeks of oral liquid antibiotics for her. She finished them yesterday and her eye boogers are still the same. I googled Bartonella and it seemed that it isn't curable or there's not much clear info on how to cure it. Does anyone have experience with this disease and were you able to rid your cat of it? I plan on bringing her back in this coming week to ask more about it but until then I have anxiety about her having this disease and that she won't get better! I already love her a lot and don't want her to be sick.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
No personal experience, but wanted you to know you are being heard. Antibiotics seems to be the best route, and generally do help. It can be treatment-resistant. Sometimes it is a matter of finding the right antibiotic. I wish I could give you more definitive answers. Just clean her eyes gently until you go back to the vet.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I searched this site for any members who may have experienced this with their cats, but did not find anything. I also searched the internet and found a couple of articles that you can read (see links below) - if you didn't already find them yourself. Also, by me responding to your post, it will 'bump it up' on the list, giving you another chance for more members to possibly see your thread and have some information to offer.
Cat Scratch Fever in Cats - Symptoms, Causes, Diagnosis, Treatment, Recovery, Management, Cost
Cat Scratch Fever in Cats

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

RookieCatOwner

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. I searched this site for any members who may have experienced this with their cats, but did not find anything. I also searched the internet and found a couple of articles that you can read (see links below) - if you didn't already find them yourself. Also, by me responding to your post, it will 'bump it up' on the list, giving you another chance for more members to possibly see your thread and have some information to offer.
Cat Scratch Fever in Cats - Symptoms, Causes, Diagnosis, Treatment, Recovery, Management, Cost
Cat Scratch Fever in Cats
Thank you!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

RookieCatOwner

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No personal experience, but wanted you to know you are being heard. Antibiotics seems to be the best route, and generally do help. It can be treatment-resistant. Sometimes it is a matter of finding the right antibiotic. I wish I could give you more definitive answers. Just clean her eyes gently until you go back to the vet.
Thanks!