Bare Eyed Cockatoos!

babywukong

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cute pics! How do you tell Sydney and Sky apart?

In fact, for all cockatoos in general, are there any physical traits that differentiate the males from the females... such as size or... anything?
I'm clueless about birds!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

calicoprincess

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by BabyWukong

Cute pics! How do you tell Sydney and Sky apart?

In fact, for all cockatoos in general, are there any physical traits that differentiate the males from the females... such as size or... anything?
I'm clueless about birds!
Sky is a little bit bigger/rounder then Sydney. I think that it pretty much runs true with all the cockatoos that the males are or should be slightly larger.

I can tell them apart already by their mannerisms too. . . now in pictures it is a little more complicated.

If I ever really wasn't sure, Sky has a leg band and Sydney doesn't.

You actually can't tell the sex by looking most birds. Unlike most animals their sexual organs are not at all exposed so it isn't easy to tell. Some species have slight color variations. Normally a DNA test is done to confirm the sex of the bird.

babywukong

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CalicoPrincess

Sky is a little bit bigger/rounder then Sydney. I think that it pretty much runs true with all the cockatoos that the males are or should be slightly larger.

I can tell them apart already by their mannerisms too. . . now in pictures it is a little more complicated.

If I ever really wasn't sure, Sky has a leg band and Sydney doesn't.

You actually can't tell the sex by looking most birds. Unlike most animals their sexual organs are not at all exposed so it isn't easy to tell. Some species have slight color variations. Normally a DNA test is done to confirm the sex of the bird.
Thanks for the info!