Bananas

GaryT

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Does anybody else have a cat that goes bonkers when they see a banana? Yesterday, I decided to get something to snack on so, I went into kitchen and grabbed a Nutty Buddy bar and a banana. Theo was upstairs where I had left him in the bathroom. He had laid on the counter and watched me repair a dripping faucet. He stayed there when I went down stairs. As soon as I broke the banana off the bunch, he was right there yelling at me about the banana! I heard the thud as he jumped off the bathroom counter and a herd of elephants came down the stairs right up to the counter where I was. he makes me laugh! He doesn't know what to do with banana tho. He bats at the peel and pulls his punches. He gets under my feet as I take the peel to compose pail.

He can hear a banana being peeled from anyplace in the house! Has anybody else got a cat like this?

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, but the cat in my avatar would eat things that aren't usually in a cat's diet, like the dough my wife was preparing for the pizza, or the green beans, zucchini (courgettes), and in her last months she had a love for bell peppers and eggplants.
She loved them all, sometimes above her own food.

GreyLady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Look for videos with cats getting scared the s**t out of them because they suddenly saw a zucchini or a cucumber next to them.
Wow cat seem to universally hate zucchini LOL! I wonder if they think its snake?

I wonder what it is about banana, zuchinni, tomatoes and veggies in general that drive them nuts. Just weird unknown shapes? Think its a snake? The bright color? Its hilarious

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

GaryT

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Not a banana, but Lily has a similar reaction to tomatoes. She can be sound asleep in the far end of the house and somehow, she hears me slice a tomato. She materializes at my feet and begins to beg! :lol:
YES! This is so odd to me! A banana is silent when you peel it. No way he can hear it from across the house but he does! I break into laughter every time! He can still hear REALLY well even thru al the fluff he has now for winter!

ZombieTiger

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My Grandparents had a former feral that went bonkers over bananas. Bananas and green olives, actually. :lol: I never saw it myself, but I heard lots of stories about it. Cats are weird.

Edit, just found this:

You may have experienced your cat running to your side when you open a can of olives. Cats like green olives because they contain the chemicals isoprenoids and pimentos, which have similar chemical makeups to the ingredients found in catnip. Therefore, the smell of olives and olive juice can make your cat go crazy.

https://kittyexpert.com/why-do-cats-like-green-olives/#:~:text=Cats like green olives because,the ingredients found in catnip.&text=Cats are more obsessed with,olive like a cat toy.

I had no idea!

Last edited:

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow cat seem to universally hate zucchini LOL! I wonder if they think its snake?

I wonder what it is about banana, zuchinni, tomatoes and veggies in general that drive them nuts. Just weird unknown shapes? Think its a snake? The bright color? Its hilarious
Tried with my cat before, she didn't move an inch :lol:

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
YES! This is so odd to me! A banana is silent when you peel it. No way he can hear it from across the house but he does! I break into laughter every time! He can still hear REALLY well even thru al the fluff he has now for winter!
Sense of smell, too? I thought Lily was hearing the sound of me slicing the tomato (although she doesn’t pay attention when I slice other things), but I tried slicing the tomato by holding it above the cutting board so there was no sound, and she still came running! Although I can’t imagine how they could possibly smell something so far away. They’re probably reading our minds. :eek2:

ZombieTiger

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Although I can’t imagine how they could possibly smell something so far away. They’re probably reading our minds. :eek2:
Us humans have a tendency to greatly underestimate other animals sense of smell, I think. I mean, most animals can smell when someone is sick, of course they are going to smell an interesting food in another room.